A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Laptop Messenger Bag  (Read 3376 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kathigarn
« on: August 08, 2008 11:21:21 AM »

I FINALLY have a reason to make a messenger bag for my laptop.  I am going to work part-time at the school my boys attend and will be doing some work at the school and some at home.  I will need to take my laptop there, so I NEEDED a pretty bag for it!!!

I ordered the closed cell foam mentioned in a post in the questions part.  It is great for such a bag!!

The fabric is by Anna Maria Horner in her new Garden Party line.  I just LOVE it!!!!!!  I think I will make another laptop bag to sell, but I will use a more simplistic pattern!!  I made my own pattern for this bag.  I had a picture in my head of what I wanted - EXACTLY what I wanted!!  It is always worse when you know exactly what you want because then you have to figure out how to do it!!!

I am very pleased with how it turned out.  I originally made it too big (erred on the side of caution) and ended up picking it apart and cutting it down smaller.

It has two sections inside - the one with velcro for the laptop and another section for folders and the power cord, although I think the cord will probably also fit with the laptop.  The front section includes an area of pockets for pens, a calculator, and other little items.

I also included a large pocket on the back for those last minute files and things!

Enough of my rambling, here is the bag!!

Inside the bag:

The back:

Side and bottom shot:

Dolly Parton has her "Coat of Many Colors" and I have my "Bag of Many Colors"!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for looking and commenting!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008 11:53:36 AM by kathigarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymphara
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008 11:29:04 AM »

That is freaking gorgeous!! Wisting! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gumpsgirl

Don't Worry It's just Me....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008 11:39:32 AM »

I love it!

Jenny
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naughty is Nice!
butterlite
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008 11:50:41 AM »

Nicely Done! I like your padded middle. Love the fabric!!! where did you get it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kathigarn
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008 12:07:27 PM »

Thank you for the compliments!!

I ordered the fabric from an etsy shop -- fabricworm.  She was really nice and answered my emails about matching.  I knew I wanted the fabric on the flap, but wasn't as sure of the other choices!  It can be hard to figure out how things match on the computer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chloesmama
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008 12:09:01 PM »

Wow!  I am very impressed! You did a fantastic job it this messenger bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008 12:09:50 PM »

Oh I am loving this bag!! And the fabric is making me drool... I just got a shipment of her Garden Party line, but I'm stuck in a "Too scared to cut into it" rut!! I think your bag is going to motivate me. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
mhills

That's A Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008 12:34:27 PM »

WOW. great bag... Was the foam easy to use? I need to make another messenger bag for my laptop and really need to make it padded this time...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MomOfBoys
Specializing in custom bags, purses and more.

Sewing is my sanity :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008 12:55:39 PM »

ooooooooo so nice ! ! !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kathigarn
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008 01:03:00 PM »

WOW. great bag... Was the foam easy to use? I need to make another messenger bag for my laptop and really need to make it padded this time...

It was easy to cut and place in there.  I want to see if there is a glue they recommend for putting it all together.  I don't think it would matter as much with other designs, but I have a total of six pieces of foam.  I wanted to be able to glue the outer four pieces and bottom together and maybe the middle piece to the sides.  I know a lot of foam eventually shrivels up if you use glue, so I just kept working with the foam and the bag to get it all in place so it wouldn't move.  I ordered the 1/4 inch thickness.  I have quite a bit more, so I will make other items!!  (I can't let it go to waste!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
KD101: Strawberry Champagne Pops
How to Make Sticky Buns at Home
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
Starbucks-Inspired Crumb Cake Recipe
Hailee Steinfeld’s Chocolate Chip Sea Salt Caramel Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...