A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zit zapping Recipe??  (Read 1459 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewingaftermom
« on: August 08, 2008 09:58:44 AM »

So I bought this stuff for my son from a wonderful little shop that makes their own product . I know it contains charcoal ( which I had never heard of using in a wash), Lavendar, chamomile, and a couple of other things. It's working wonderfully on my son's face, but at $16 a bottle and the bottle is small, and he's using it like water, I need to be making my own. Does anyone have a recipe similar to the things I listed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All it took was a unique kid to make me follow mom's sewing machine.
Lets get crafty!!
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008 07:36:35 PM »

What's the ingredients list on the label? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008 10:12:48 PM »

A really great acne wash is to add bentonite clay (I imagine the charcoal is similar), lavender EO, and Tea Tree EO to your soap (if you're making it) or a nice unscented, basic face wash. If I recall correctly chamomile EO is fairly expensive, but possibly you could make a tea with it or perhaps there is a chamomile absolute.

I wasn't terribly sure if the product you bought is a wash or a lotion type thing you leave on, but those same basic skin friendly/skin clearning eo's can be added to lotions or masks too. Let me know if you want an exact recipe for soap or lotions or masks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
sewingaftermom
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008 06:25:35 PM »

What's the ingredients list on the label? 
Water, Lavendar,Roman Chamomile,Rooibos tea extract, organic billbarry,sugar cane, sugar maple,orange extract, lemon extract,cranberry extract, kosher vgetable glycerun, tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, pro vitamin,DMAE,tetrosodium edta,activated charcoal, hydronized wheat,cocopolyglucoside tartrate 

Whew I think thats all the print is a little small so It's hard to know if I got it all.

A really great acne wash is to add bentonite clay (I imagine the charcoal is similar), lavender EO, and Tea Tree EO to your soap (if you're making it) or a nice unscented, basic face wash. If I recall correctly chamomile EO is fairly expensive, but possibly you could make a tea with it or perhaps there is a chamomile absolute.

I wasn't terribly sure if the product you bought is a wash or a lotion type thing you leave on, but those same basic skin friendly/skin clearning eo's can be added to lotions or masks too. Let me know if you want an exact recipe for soap or lotions or masks.

The lady at the store told me to use straight Tea Tree on his break outs also and this vitamin which he is taking. It's all worked awesomely, the shop is two states away from me so I'd have to have it shipped on top of all he is going through. It is a face wash however she gave us a simple little clay masque to try also, I did that with him tonight and it's a green color and smells of clay and a strong odor I just can't put my finger on right now. It's powder and you mix it with water.

I just thought maybe if it was something I could put together at home that would be awesome. The kids are so into the soap I already make them, so I figure why not attempt this to save me some cash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets get crafty!!
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008 02:11:23 PM »

Sounds like the essential oils may be doing the trick.  Tea tree is another great one!!!  I used tea tree (as well as an immune booster) to get rid of molluscum (which doctors say you can't and it simply needs to run its course!).  I used it straight on the skin.  Some recommend that you don't but if you only put it on the actual pimple and not on the skin around it I found it was great for the drying effect.  I used a Q tip to apply.  I suspect the peroxide is also used for a drying effect too.

You say you make your kids soap?  Is it cold process?  There's a great recipe for a salt bar which is said to be good for acne prone skin and is suitable to use on the face.  Some use sea salt but I used ordinary table salt.  Also some find that sea salt is a bit harsh and more of an exfoliator.  Here it is:

100% coconut oil, superfatted at 20%.  Run the numbers through a lye calculator.  Make CP soap as usual and, at trace, add salt at 100% of the weight of the coconut oil.  Place in a mould and place in a heated oven (then turn off immediately) to force gel stage.  Cut immediately after taking out the oven (for a 500g batch, 1/2 hour should do) or else it will be extremely difficult to cut.

My actual recipe is (for a 500g batch):

500g coconut oil
73g lye
148g water
500g salt

Always run numbers through a lye calculator.

Here's a picture of one of several batches I've made:

Good luck!!  I hope you make something for him that suits him.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewingaftermom
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008 08:59:53 PM »

You say you make your kids soap?  Is it cold process?  There's a great recipe for a salt bar which is said to be good for acne prone skin and is suitable to use on the face.  Some use sea salt but I used ordinary table salt.  Also some find that sea salt is a bit harsh and more of an exfoliator.  Here it is:

Good luck!!  I hope you make something for him that suits him.  Wink

I haven't made it to the cold process making stage, but if there is anytime to try maybe it's now. His arms are starting to break out now to. I told him he surely did not get that skin from me. I never had such issues as a kid.

I've heard alot of things about Tea Tree recently. My father was told to use it on his toe. Apparently it kills athlete's foot and toe nail fungis. My sister told me for my nephew they told her to use it on a slight rash he had on his arm also. I've never heard of such things.
When we put the oil on his face we do apply it straight to his pimple. It just clears it right out. He's never been more thankful which is why I was looking to make it myself. I talked to my nephew overseas and he has used it and said it's working better than clearsel.... now just to make it myself I guess. LOL
I will for sure attempt your recipe, I hope mine are as lovely as yours.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets get crafty!!
polaris082411
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008 02:21:20 AM »

i don';t really know how to make a beautiful sofa..but i like others crafts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make your home in oritental style!
http://www.discovery5000.com/chanpin.asp
amybarnett
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008 04:15:15 PM »

WHAT? Don't worry....most of us can't make sofas either........

But in all seriousness: Teatree seems to be the key for me. (That did not rhyme on purpose)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008 04:19:05 PM by amybarnett » THIS ROCKS   Logged
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008 07:57:27 AM »

Water, Lavendar,Roman Chamomile,Rooibos tea extract, organic billbarry,sugar cane, sugar maple,orange extract, lemon extract,cranberry extract, kosher vgetable glycerun, tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, pro vitamin,DMAE,tetrosodium edta,activated charcoal, hydronized wheat,cocopolyglucoside tartrate 

This looks like a toner I make. (Recipe below). The extracts look like the AHA phytofruit mix at the Herbarie (http://theherbarie.com/AHA-PhytoFruit-Mix-pr-263.html) and you can order it and add it to the mixture. The chamomile is probably a water soluble extract as I don't see an emulsifier in there. And the charcoal is probably less than .2% because that's how you would normally use edta.

My recipe for toner:
40% purified water
13% lavender hydrosol (soothing, you can sub neroli or rose here for astringency)
13% aloe vera extract (again, soothing)
0.5% extract (I use honeysuckle for acne, chamomile to reduce redness)
30% witch hazel
1% cromoist (hydrolyzed oat protein, you can use wheat or soy or corn as well)
2% panthenol (this is the pro vitamin B in the list above)
0.5% preservative

Mix together. Bottle. Please use a preservative as you have a whack of botanicals in there that are going to go bad very quickly (and it might not be obvious, so you're making his skin worse!)

If you are going to use something like the Phytofruit, start at 2.5% (you can go up to 5% if you like, according to the web page), and take that amount out of the water amount.

You could add up to 3% glycerin here (I find it sticky, but some people like it) or add another humectant (sodium lactate is good for acne, but can be sun sensitizing over 3%). You can add any essential oils at the safe amount listed, but add an equal amount of polysorbate 20 to emulsify those oils.

Please don't apply essential oils directly to your skin as it can be a bad thing indeed. I'd suggest using a safe amount of tea tree oil (say 1% or so) and an equal amount of polysorbate 20 into enough water to make 100% (so 1% tea tree, 1% emulsifier, .5 to 1% preservative, then the rest water).

The green mask is probably just green clay, which is great for oily skin. Just buy some green clay, then add the ingredient of your choice to it (if you search, you'll find tons of recipes for face masks). And you can add green clay to any cleanser to make up a really nice cleanser for oily skin. I make one for my oily skin with BSB, water, and a few other ingredients, and it does wonders for me. (But don't use it every day as it can irritate your skin.)

I love this body wash recipe...http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/b1b.asp (scroll down a bit). You can include some tea tree in there as your fragrance amount. I include condition-eze 7 (polyquat 7) at 3% and I find it is awesome for my oily, acne prone skin. I used to use neutrogena body wash, but this is better for me as I don't break out any more. You can include some green clay in there as well for oily skin.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
sewingaftermom
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008 03:34:24 PM »

Wow Swift thank you so much your info is just so much. I am going to sit down tonight when it gets quiet and have a look at it all and see what I can get started.

I am still trying to get the jest of cold process soap. YIKES! Mine keep messing up and for sure smelling up the house. My mom is laughing at me though. She is trying to find a recipe my great great grandma used to make for stains in clothing. She said it had lye in it but she remebers them using it to wash their face and control acne when they were kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets get crafty!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make New Orleans Gumbo
Back to School Lunch Ideas For Kids
Sneak Peek at Wild New Four Seasons Resort Restaurant
Mixed Kale and Collard Chicken Caesar Salad With Cornbread Croutons
How to Make Egg Mayonnaise
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...