A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 309,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sublime A-Line! Reversible Dress *NOW ACTION SHOTS!!!*  (Read 3630 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Caine
« on: August 08, 2008 12:23:25 AM »

I am pretty very excited by this one ... I fell in love the fabric and the very sweetness of the design but kept hesitating to make it. Now that I have I am quite pleased.

EDITED TO ADD: ACTION SHOTS!!! Just showing one side for now ....
She has given it the cartwheel test; it has passed.

Begin Cartwheel

Finish Cartwheel

It really is reversible! My brain got a little bent trying to figure out how that works, but it does. The plan is for my nearly 5YO to wear this for the start of Kindergarten, though how can we wait. The puckers and such are just from the way it is laying and I suppose I could iron it! The hemline looks wonky but instead it has a nice subtle curve to it, slightly longer in the middle front and back. Bet it shows up nicer on.

For me the big deal is that is looks so much more finished and less funky than most things I make and because I made buttonholes for the first time. Not to mention reversible ... I promise action shots tomorrow, if I can interest the model. How can I not mention that the fabric is all from the deep discount rack at Jo-Ann's. I hesitate to claim that anything I make is inexpensive since my stash is embarrassingly large, especially for such a new sewer with so little time! But with a narrow view one could say this dress was about 5 dollars to make.

I followed one of the tutorial like patterns from "you can make this dot com" -- carly's aline is the name I think (happy to look that up) The instructions are detailed and quite good, though I had a hard time with them because of my inexperience and cuz I really like to have a "big picture" about how it is all supposed to work before jumping into details and options ... I have the idea now so it should go much faster next time. It's a good tutorial and worth the money. I will make more.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008 08:46:00 AM by Caine - Reason: ACTION SHOTS!!! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitschyCoo
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008 12:49:57 AM »

Great job!  I'm really into reversible things.  Can't wait to see action pic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caine
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008 12:54:48 AM »

thanks kitschy, it is good for the ole noggin to try reversible stuff, it is still hard to visualize, but getting easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pamcake1323
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008 04:16:09 AM »

That is adorable and I love your fabric!
..I couldn't find it. =(
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008 05:08:32 AM »

This is great.  I like the reversible bit - days out mean no need to change clothes with spagetti spills just turn dress inside out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
wendyMN
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008 05:53:51 AM »

I just joined Craftster to be able to reply (after an embarrassingly long time of lurking  Smiley ) -- great job!  I'll admit, I'm also a "you can make this dot com" addict, and have found that the patterns there are really easy to follow for a newbie.  They're not afraid to ask for money for them, for sure, but the guidance has been invaluable for me.

I have that pattern, too, and haven't done one yet for all the reasons you listed.  Smiley

Anyway, you did a great job, and I can't wait to see the action shots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008 07:05:16 AM »

Thanks Wendy! Welcome, so glad you joined ;-) ycmtDOTcom does charge without fear but so far I would call their patterns "super Tutes" which is just what I need sometimes. When you decide to the the A-Line I can write you off line with a "big pic" overview if you want. It would have saved me scads of eye crossing to  have a little drawing and a few lines of description.

Blossom, how true about the spaghetti spots -- and every kind of other thing. My girl is oblivious to stains and very much into creating them. She decided that she is not a messy eater a few weeks ago and so doesn't wish to use a napkin "anymore" -- it is worth much to see her foody face smiling at you saying "I'm not a messy eater anymore!" mmmm hmmm!

Pamcake (what a great name) -- I got lucky with the fabric. I would have loved to have bolts and bolts of both. I liked the blue and green best when I got it, but the creamy one drew me in as I was working with. I almost want to learn to quilt just so I can make a quilt that has it has its backing and binding. But there was only 1 1/3 at the store so it is all dreaming (and because I would likely mangle a quilt too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008 08:46:18 AM »

Added action shots at the top of the thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StacyCK
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008 09:17:12 AM »

Love it!  It looks like your model is very happy with her dress and can move quite well in it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008 09:39:58 AM »

Thanks Stacy! So glad it fits well, she rarely holds still long enough to measure her.

So glad you wrote, I love your sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Caffe Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How to Create Bronzed Summer Makeup
Tips to Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Summer
Mercedes Benz Swim Miami 2015 L*Space by Monica Wise
Outrageous Beauty: Brow Feng Shui Treatment
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...