A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jar Mixes  (Read 2593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Snowhite
« on: August 07, 2008 06:21:29 PM »

I am saving up Classico spaghetti jars and am hoping to give Jar Mixes as Christmas presents.  Does anyone have any mix recipes that 1) finished product actually tastes good and 2) does require me to list many ingredient add ins on the tags.

2) because I was gifted a jar last year that required so many add in ingredients along with the ingredients in the jar, that it ended up costing alot to finally make the meal.

Anything from soup or drink to dessert is greatly appreciated.  Also any comments on the finished product will be helpful..Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snowhite
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008 06:23:17 PM »

Wanted to add that I am going to see if a boxed cake mix will fit in a jar because the soda cake idea rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008 01:05:02 AM »

One year I did hot coco mix.  The giftee just has to add milk and heat it.  I forget where I got the recipe, but I'm sure there are tons on the interweb.  Oh, and it's a good idea to test out the mix before you give it away.  The original recipe I used called for salt, but it tasted weird, so I left it out of the ones I gave away and they were great.

I've tried saving spaghetti sauce jars before, but I've never been able to get the smell out of them.  Do you have any tips for that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeesaLove
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008 11:22:46 AM »

I've tried saving spaghetti sauce jars before, but I've never been able to get the smell out of them.  Do you have any tips for that?[/quote]
I find that this works as long as there is not a lot of garlic in the sauce...  soak jars over night in sink of hat water & soap. peel of label in morning, rinse jar  then add some crushed ice & salt as well as baking powder to jar shake it gently, let that sit all day  then wash again with soap & water.

The cake mix & soda would be a great idea.  Maybe even get a couple of the smaller silicone cake pans from Dollar Tree & put in a basket with the jar.  you cute do a really cute give for less than $5
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008 08:44:34 AM »

fried chicken flour (my recipe, I'm british and have never been anywhere near the states)

large coffee mug of all purpose (uk plain) flour
1tbsp paprika
1tbsp mixed herbs
2tsp ground mixed spice
1tsp chinese five spice
1tsp salt
1tsp ground pepper (I like mixed pepper corns, white, black, red and green)

mix well.

to make up, heat oil in deepfat fryer or a large pan.
beat an egg, add the same volume as the egg of both water and milk. beat together. add a chopped garlic clove to this and mix well before adding chicken bits (I use diced breast or thigh).
soak the chicken, toss in the flour until totally coated, fry. when it floats it's done. if it browns too quickly the oil's too hot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008 11:44:30 AM »

i found this link on craftster a while back. thought i would share. http://www.budget101.com/102mix.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Snowhite
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008 01:48:34 PM »

I've tried saving spaghetti sauce jars before, but I've never been able to get the smell out of them.  Do you have any tips for that?

I left them soaking in hot soapy water to take the labels off and then ran them threw my dishwasher.  The jars are fine, but the lid seems to hold the smell longer.. no clue why..... I am going to try the other posters idea about baking powder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snowhite
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008 01:51:45 PM »

To MrsFlibble- Some member of my family fry everything.. this would be perfect for them.  Do youhappen to know what is in the Chinese 5 Spice, I have never heard of it before.

To AvianFlight- TY so much.  That site is perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skoo
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008 02:58:52 PM »

i gave cowboy cookie mix in a jar last year. the cookies are REALLY yummy.  ]

This is taken from the allrecipes.com website

p.s. layer it in the opposite order than it is given

Cowboy Cookie Mix in a Jar
SUBMITTED BY: Phyllis PHOTO BY: ABABEINARMS

"Cookie mix layered in a jar. They are great for gift-giving or bake sales."

RECIPE RATING:

PREP TIME  25 Min 
READY IN  25 Min 
Original recipe yield 3 dozen cookies 

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Layer the ingredients in a 1 quart jar in the order given. Press each layer firmly in place before adding the next layer.
Include a card with the following instructions: Cowboy Cookie Mix in a Jar 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. 2. In a medium bowl, mix together 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Stir in the entire contents of the jar. You may need to use your hands to finish mixing. Shape into walnut sized balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. 3. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven. Transfer from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

I used this wording attached to the jar.

Howdy Partner. Preheat your campfire to 350 and grease up your pan. You're in for a real sweet treat! Dump this jar into the biggest bowl ya got and mix it around real good. Add a stick of melted butter and whipped up egg. (A teaspoon of vanilla if you got some in the chuck wagon.) Mix with your five cleanest fingers till it looks like cookie dough ought to. Bake for 11-13 minutes. Makes 18 big 'ol cookies, or 2 dozen cowgirl-sized.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TerraBella01

Crafting keeps me sane

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008 02:46:11 PM »

This is a recipe I gave last year to several people and they all liked it.  The minimum that they have to add is water, but can add other things like chicken, turkey, cheese, fresh veggies, etc to their taste.  It was really tasty with only adding the water.

Pasta Soup Mix

1 3/4 c. small shell macaroni
3/4 c. dried lentils
3/4 c. dried chopped mushrooms
3 1/2 t. dried minced onion
3 1/2 t. chicken bouillon
1 t. plus 1 tsp. Dried parsley flakes
1 3/4 tsp. Dried oregano
1/8 tsp. Garlic powder

Layer the ingredients in the order given into a wide-mouth 1 quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient.

Attach a gift tag with these cooking directions:
Pasta Soup Mix:
1 Jar Pasta Soup Mix
1 Can chicken, optional
10 1/2 c. Water

Place water in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Add Pasta Soup Mix and if desired, chicken. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.

I got the recipe from the site below.  It did call for a half cup of parmesan cheese in the jar, but I left it out since I didn't know how long it would keep.

http://members.tripod.com/~MaryMae/jarlinks.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mini Biography of William Shakespeare
Iris Murdoch: The Life of the Mind
Octavia Butler Managed to Humanize Science Fiction
Alice Walker: The Mysterious Wonder of Life
Alexandra Horowitz Talks About On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...