A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: let the madness begin...  (Read 3807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BoxOfRocks
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008 02:15:15 PM »

I like the design, including the white background.  Simple, represents your theme well, and easy to read...both at first receipt and when your guest looks at it again after s/he's stuck it on the fridge and needs to reminder him/herself of the date.  One optional suggestion is to add a very thin border around the perimeter in one of the darker colors already present in the STD, like the brown or green in the fonts.  Not the yellow in the flower--too bright.  Thanks for showing!  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008 11:34:09 AM »

I tinkered a little, I hope you don't mind. I'd simplify the info a little bit [but I am something of a minimalist.] I think when the words "save the date" and a pair of names are present people understand a. that there is a wedding coming and b. that you will send them an invitation later. Here's what I whipped up here in the past 10 minutes:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
NiinaMaria

Crafter by accident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008 11:39:51 AM »

Hey.

This is much better than the first one I saw. Although I personally would consider more
contemporary image as sunflowers are tad 90's.
The font for your names is good. Are the numbers same font? Save the date- text should
be non-fussy like the date is.
Try enlarging your names, so they would go over the image and maybe darken them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

beehart
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008 01:08:34 PM »

thanks Bon!  that looks great!  we just decided it's goign to be early october now, but i definitely like what you've done with it!  I might need to steal it later on.

i'd rather not go with something more contemporary.  we're having a laid back wedding in the country and i think the sunflower is perfect.  it's my favorite flower and it's what we're using.  i don't find it "a tad 90's" at all but thanks for your opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008 02:00:30 PM »

No problem. I'll be more than happy to send you the photoshop file. The font is a free font called Porcelain that I've been dying to use but haven't found the right project. The date text is hoefler text, which I think it what you were using also. It's one of my favorite serif fonts [I used it for the type for all of our wedding stuff as well.]

I don't think the sunflower is dated at all, especially not the way you've treated it. Besides, gold, sage green and chocolate brown are very in colors right now and would be a great palette to build your wedding colors on. The gold might be tricky depending on the color of your dress [it would just be a matter of finding the right gold to go with either a white white or and off white or you could buck tradition and wear a beautiful matte gold dress!]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
tessaggeration
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008 12:11:05 PM »

I always appreciate when save the dates are magnets. This way I don't toss them before I get the date in my calendar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beehart
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008 09:05:05 AM »

great, thanks bon!  i might be having second thoughts about the font though.  we're not really swirly people and most of my family has awful eyesight (haha!).  i think i'm going to wait til we've signed the contract with the place we're going to have it at before i do anything more with the save the date.  the wedding coordinator lady at the lodge we're hoping to get married at booked us for the date we want, but it's more than 1 year in advance so we can't sign the contract just yet or give a deposit.  i'm afraid of us having to change the date because someone else snaps it up!  just me being cynical i think Smiley  i'll let you all know! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

asile153
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008 09:32:56 AM »

Would it be a good idea to put the location on the save the date, so people will have an idea of how far they will have to travel to attend well in advance?  I can't remember what the few save the dates I've recieved looked like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

your friends ask about me you say I can be found
with the cheap romance novels with their spines battered down
oh the heart has no bones you say so it wont break
but the purpose of loving is the pounding it takes
eyejay
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008 01:49:27 AM »

Congratulations and best wishes, beehart!
My son got engaged right about the same time as you did, which is why I came to poke around here for some inspiration! (they also decided on Oct '09 for the wedding!)

I love this sunflower against the white. It's very graphic, very crisp. Though Papyrus is an easily recognized popular font, it happens to work well here and from your description, seems to have the right feel. I also like Bon's full bleed on the sunflower a lot!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
beehart
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008 02:37:26 PM »

ok, so i finished the save the dates and just ordered them!  we only need about 75, but i bought 90 just because i don't trust my handwriting skills to be perfect.  all 90 only cost me $2.30 on snapfish because i just joined (20 free 4x6 prints) and i got a coupon for 50 prints for a penny each!  i'm super excited about them.  i just think the colors look more like what i had wanted (i didn't want a white background i decided).  oh, and in case you were wondering, no i didn't dump russell for rusty, he was just worried no one would know who he was if he went by his "real" name haha. 

also, because i'm crazy excited we got the location i had been wanting, i'll post a pic of it Smiley  it's at this beautiful lakeside resort, but i wanted the country setting wedding package...we're definitely still taking pics by the lake though!

ceremony location (we won't do rose petals and will probably use their arch instead of the columns)

reception location (yep, it's a barn!  i love it!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Double Scanning Technique in Sudoku
Collecting Modern Sports Cards
Collecting Vintage Sports Cards
Collecting Sports Cards
What Sports Cards Should I Collect
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...