A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: circle skirt, pattern matched, french seams, omg, quite a few pics  (Read 1893 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beautifulcreature

give me all your shinies, please.

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2008 03:14:29 PM »

so i made another circle skirt.. i'm kind of ripping through the fabric so i stopped at walmart.. moralfreetradeethic almindfulshoppingqu andry oops. but i got alot of dollar fabric. this was some of it.

i'm having issues getting all  corners to match- yoke front/back skirt front/back. i'd google how the heck to get that to match up evenly but i don't even know what to search for "matching points" seems like it's going to yield me something for vegas incentives, or something.  but i did almost get the print to match up at the seams! woot!

and here it gosh golly gee wizz it does seem to be matching, that there's a seam you can barely see. woot

and it's got french seams, which started out seeming like the easiest thing in the world, until i hit the zipper.. and then i spent an hour drudging through it gritting my teeth and hand sewing it, then i put in sense and sensibility and was cheerful to sew by hand.

ok. end image obesity madness <now>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was happier then with no mindset.
TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008 05:48:06 PM »

Good work, looks like you matched up the fabric at the seams very well, and the skirt looks great on you. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008 05:57:28 PM »

Wow....
I admire you for using the french seams.

The skirt came out really nice. I love how your hem is all even. Did you let the skirt hang for a few days before marking the hem? That's the only way I know of to get it to come out so nicely.

Are you matching the plaids on the actual seamline, or where you first sew the french seams? You have to match on the real seams for it to work out right. You use the notches on the pattern pieces as places to match the plaid; if you aren't using a pattern, you may have to cut one piece at a time, laying the cut piece on top (right sides together) of the uncut fabric to determine where to cut the other piece in order for it to match at the seamlines (not at the cut edge of the fabric).

Also, when you pin the yoke to the skirt (you've sewn the skirt front and back together, and the yoke front and back together previously), what you have to do is to pin at the seams first, then match up the rest of the joining seam, easing in fullness as necessary and pinning, pinning, pinning. Actually, it's important to pin a lot on all the seams when sewing plaids, and to sew slowly and carefully.

Your plaid appears to be an even plaid, which is much easier to match than an uneven plaid. Sometimes with those, you just have to do the best you can and plan for the best-matched seam to be the most visible one.

Here are a couple of good articles on working with plaids:

http://www.fabrics.net/SarahStripes.asp

http://www.ca.uky.edu/hes/fcs/FACTSHTS/CT-MMB-018.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beautifulcreature

give me all your shinies, please.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008 08:09:13 PM »

thank you sleepyknitter:>
thank you homebunnyj- didn't let the skirt hang.. i made it when i couldn't sleep from 4am to 6:30am... <then i discovered my fiv+ cat was dehydrated and ran to the vet in new skirt. which they complimented. while setting up an iv. the skirt's had an eventful life. it might be done in. all in all i spent 4 hours at the vet and met 7 dogs and 3 cats. the skirt bore the brunt of the furry assault. well. it lived a glorious eventful day. so, nope, didn't get to hang it to stretch out before hemming... by the time i was done ironing and folding back the french seams i was tired of ironing in general and just rolled the hem up with my fingers and fed it through the machine and hoped wildly... 
i appreciate the links, i keep having huge issues getting areas where more than a few seams meet up to meet up properly... and the info about the plaid will be really good to read:> thankya
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was happier then with no mindset.
sunshyn_stef
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009 04:45:21 PM »

Lovely!

Any tips on a circle skirt with a yoke?  Do you just make the waist measurement for the circle at a lower point on your body?  Is the yoke square or curved?  I've been trying to work this out in my head and I can't get it.

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.FeetPrints.net ...my crafts, my family, my life

Handmade gifts of Aloha ~ www.AlohaDesigns.ne t
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Squeeze and Solitude - AHEC and RCA Collaboration
Pumpkin Carving Ideas and Techniques
How to Use Everyday Items to Protect Book Covers
How to Make an Art Smock
How to Make a Cigar Box Pocketbook
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...