A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there any way I can make knitting with bamboo needles...quicker?  (Read 239 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DeathToFuzzyYarn
« on: August 08, 2008 12:11:33 PM »

I finally found a pair of 16" circulars! They're bamboo though, made by Boye. I bought them anyway because they were cheap and the only other sizes of circular needles were 29" and 26", which I regrettably bought a while ago as a new knitter and was stupid enough to waste perfectly good yarn on. Well, my only qualm is--I love to knit fast, and bamboo doesn't let me do that. It's extremely slow and sometimes hard to pull the yarn off the needle... sometimes the stitches on the cable get stuck and I have to manually pull them up, splitting the yarn. Would using a different type of yarn, say cotton or a soft baby yarn make knitting on these needles faster? I'm using acrylic, is that the problem?

(Funny story: Last summer I ended up knitting a whole skein of Red Heart Strata on a 26" circular needle intending for it to be a hat. I didn't know how to decrease [a 26 inch...hat nonetheless] so I pinned up the back of the hat with bobby pins and claimed it was a rasta-style tam [WITHOUT BINDING OFF] and then unpinned it and ended up using a yarn needle I found in my beginners' knitting kit to sew up the unbound loops/end of the work with another color yarn. Yeah, you can imagine how that looks. What a waste of yarn :/)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008 02:40:16 PM »

Bamboo, and most wood, grips yarn more than metal or plastic would.  I'd say invest in some metal needles...you can never have too many!

As an alternative, you can fold up a piece of wax paper a few times, then rub it really fast along the shaft of the needle.  This heats up the wax and will essentially wax your needle.  Or, you can try dipping it into a bowl of rice, which will coat it as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Boutonniere
How to Make Dyed Easter Eggs
Homemade Coasters With Kerry Washington
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following and Reading Directions
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following Patterns
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...