A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: University Portfolio Help !!!!  (Read 335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cosmopolitan4
« on: August 07, 2008 11:53:08 AM »

i have no clue if this is supposed to go here but... im in need... please redirect me it IS a question board Smiley

So I have decided that i'm obsessed with the fact of wanting to go into fashion design. September will be the start of my last year of highschool ! I have already researched and I want to go to Ryerson University in Toronto (I live an hour away so its very convienient) ANYWAYS... to apply you have to send a portfolio with the requirments obviously...
a link to these requirements are here:

http://www.ryerson.ca/undergraduate/admission/downloads/nonacademic_FashionDesign_Portfolio.pdf
scroll down to portfolio and it has the 2 categories with the requirements.

I want to start on these garments asap!
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should make for the 3 garments?
Maybe two pieces of womens clothing and then a childs outfit, that would be fun !
or maybe one from womans, one mens, and one childs?
I could encorporate my style into the childs piece too.. it would be cute!?

yes no?!?!?
help me Smiley
breaaaaaaaakdown

AND PS:
if anyone has any websites or are willing to sell a serger for cheap Wink
message me!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You could turn off the sun, but i'm still gonna shine Smiley
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008 03:50:50 PM »

I say just make what you would wear. They pretty much want to see if you can work a sewing machine, they should teach you the rest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008 07:31:49 AM »

Agreed, make things you can wear.

I think it would be better to do more simple patterns at the absolute best quality you can muster, instead of going off the beatten track with neat ideas that maybe don't wear as well.

Other things to consider when contemplating a degree/ career in fashion design:
Can you keep a secret? Interns who can't keep secrets in fashion houses don't get jobs.
Are you prepared to be fully running your own business? Most designers are indepent business people. When you are starting out you can't afford an accountant, a tax attorney & other things required for business. Most big name designers you hear of who start their own companies (as opposed to working in another fashion house first) have a really good head for business & can handle all the non-sewing & designing stuff well.
Are you cut throat? It's one of the hardest industries to succeed in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008 11:12:26 AM »

Not to mention there are so many jobs between designer and a product in a store.  Personally, I'm at a state school majoring in fashion design. I considered an art school, but it was out of my budget. My school is very industry based, with all of my teachers having worked in the industry and some still continuing to work freelance jobs on the side of teaching.
Now personally I want to go into patternmaking. Before I stuck on fashion design I had considered engineering because everyone told me that a girl that is good at math and science should go into engineering. I decided I liked designing clothes more than machines, and I found out that patternmaking combines math with my artistic side.
Before I was afraid I wasn't "creative" enough for fashion design, I didn't have enough kooky ideas for clothes. But I found that comes with time and looking at things differently and I also found out that more wearable things sell better.
I am really excited for my patternmaking class in the fall. I really like the idea of turning a 2d idea into a 3d form.

Also, from being in school I have found out that people going into fashion merchandising are different from people going into fashion design. They just have different personalities and different characteristics. Such as merchandisers love going shopping, designers hate going shopping because they have a specific idea in their head of what they want and they can't find it anywhere, which is why we end up making things because we feel the market is lacking.

Edit: Also, as far as what to sew, my teachers were pretty impressed that I made all my dresses for my dances. I was experienced with boning and using difficult fabrics like charmeuse. I got to skip the first into sewing class, and even in the second class the other students were asking me questions on how to do things.

It also greatly helped me to work at a fabric store. I learned so much about fabric, thread, needles, little tips and tricks. How to do certain things. I learned so much from my supervisors and just listening to my supervisors answer customer questions that I couldn't.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008 11:15:42 AM by Thesingingllamas » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Obsessed: Beauty Finds
Beauty Guide: Winged Eyeliner
Obsessed: Latest Lip Colors
Easy, Fast, Flawless: 3 Reasons to Try Airbrush Makeup
Best Face Oils
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...