A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cowl neck top. the best of times.. the worst of times...  (Read 1247 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beautifulcreature

give me all your shinies, please.

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2008 10:35:33 PM »

so.. i made a cowl neck top. i thought i'd venture afield from skirt land.. so i could wear an outfit made entirely by me, hurrah.

i need to clip the seam allowances on the side, that's why it's bulky there. i'm standing crooked, that's why the shirt's crooked.. but.. i'm not pleased with the cowl neck itself.. it drapes funny, the shirt starts a coup and tries to turn itself and shirtly order inside out. read pattern reviews and everyone elses shirts seem to politely drape in an orderly fashion. didn't see any others made out of jersey though, which the pattern says is An Approved Fabric. so. not sure what's up here. working with knit was wildly refreshing after a few weeks of woven cotton though. and i'm also wildly looking back to returning to the land of nonstretch. i'm seriously just tickled pink the whole thing holds together. but i can't figure out why the cowl neck hangs around my neck limp and heavy like one of my ferrets rather than like a delightful cowl neck. i'm still gonna wear it though. 'cause damn it. i sewed with a knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was happier then with no mindset.
punikum
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008 03:35:08 AM »

Hi,
I think it looks nice :-)
I have the pattern
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=search.cfm&numMatch=2&design_id=10856&design=6106&thumbnail_image=6106t.jpg&ldesc=Misses%20Knit%20Tops&size_range=8%20to%2018&status_num=2
and I am trying to make view A. I cut the pieces last night :-)
I don't really understand the instructions. did u use this pattern? if so, did u understand the instrictons?
I have a serious understanding problem in English...

thanks,
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beautifulcreature

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008 04:54:44 AM »

hey, i've got insomnia and couldn't sleep so i poked at this top some more and ripped seams and resewed and ripped and resewed.... i seemed to have picked the devil in the form of a really thick really stretchy jersey to try it with initially. 
i used newlook 6470 viewb.  they look really similar at least from the finished product view, couldn't find a view that showed pieces or layout...  hesistent to offer suggestions since it's a different pattern and i had so many problems with my own version...i think i figured out most of my problems- sewing with knits seems -really- different to me than wovens...
if you're still having problems with the directions you could try-

hem the back neck piece.
hem the front neck piece with the large seam allowance 
pin the front and pack where the shoulders join
pin at the underarms, and down the side seams.
sew the shoulders together
sew the left and right side seams together
hem along the bottom

simplified and not entirely sure that's how your pattern works.. i am becoming a -very- big fan of basting the first time i try a new style. and basting seems to be a good thing with knits so that when you sew the actual seam the two pieces go through at an even rate... so you could try just basting the whole thing together knowing it doesn't matter if it goes together wrong and it'll only be a few minutes work to dismantle and redo.....
sorry i can't help more...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008 07:35:53 AM »

As someone who owns a homemade cowl neck dress I know you need interfacing in the neckline. Since this is a thinner fabric a thin iron on interfacing would probably be fine. Smiley
The neck has a tendency to stretch out otherwise.

But it looks super cute and I love the length!

edited to add: I just checked the link in the first reply. If you have adobe reader click where it says back view. It says for any of the views with the cowl neck you need interfacing. So I'm fairly sure that's the issue now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008 07:39:28 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spareGus
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008 07:43:02 AM »

I would just like to add that I can't tell from your picture that well but whenever I've made a cowl-neck with knit fabric I've always have better luck if it's cut on the bias rather than with the grain.  Just tends to lay nicer that way if you don't decide to use interfacing.  If you've already cut on the bias....sorry, I have no idea Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beautifulcreature

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008 08:24:04 AM »

i just double checked, the pattern i'm using doesn't mention interfacing on the back, or in the envelope.
didn't try cutting on the bias, i will give that a go..
i'll try using interfacing too.. i got a whole lot of white stretchy fabric. might as well try to figure it out Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008 09:18:34 AM »

i just double checked, the pattern i'm using doesn't mention interfacing on the back, or in the envelope.
didn't try cutting on the bias, i will give that a go..
i'll try using interfacing too.. i got a whole lot of white stretchy fabric. might as well try to figure it out Wink
I double checked your too and I saw that. I think the pattern my mother used was similar to the first one. What I find interesting is that one pattern says to use it and the other doesn't. I wonder what the difference is?
Let us know if cutting on the bias changes it. I'm really curious now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Soy Ginger Sauce Recipe
Thai Cream Sauce Recipe
Wasabi Paste Recipe
Sesame Tuna Recipe
How to Saute Sausage and Shrimp for Lumpia
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...