A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,044
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Spy Bag: made for a 4-year-old, but I wanna keep it! NOW with TUTE on page 4  (Read 54322 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , i_spy , toy , plaything , tutorial , travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2008 11:16:53 AM »

I have seen some other bags with the diagonal window... and I don't care for them as much as the log cabin style you did.
When I finally find enough items to fill a bag, I will be doing the log cabin style.  It's taking me a long time to gather objects.  We recently moved so I had gotten rid of all the "useless junk" I didn't think I would need anymore.  Now I am kicking myself, ha ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

J_Kieviet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2008 08:08:51 PM »

This is an awesome idea, I plan to make them for the students in my practicum class. 12 in kindergarten to grade 2, however I have another 9 at the school between grade 3 and grade 7, do you think the older group would like something like this?  If so what could I put in theirs to make it more challenging?  I don't have a lot of money either but want to include around 15-20 items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for Sophia the first fabric and Frozen fabric (preferably flannel, but would settle for cotton) and Phoomph.  I'm in Canada and the companies are that I could order from charge $20-$30 shipping, so if anybody can find some and wants to swap/sell, I would be eternally greatfull.
luvin
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2009 06:04:30 PM »

just a suggestion,i used tiny cut up pieces of milk bottle and soda bottle plastic instead of rice,still lightweight but still works awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil_abi
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2009 06:34:10 PM »

I think it would work for kids b/w grades 3 and 7. 

I have seen these targeted at a wider audience, age-wise.  For older kids, I would use smaller age-appropriate objects -- maybe small beads or small images cut from cardboard (like a cereal box) -- and put in alot!  I've seen these in stores in a plastic cylinder, and I bet you could replicate it in a 20oz or 1L soda bottle.  For older kids, I think that makes it more of a challenge b/c they can't manipulate it in their hands; they have to shake and turn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
McJulie-O
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2009 07:59:08 PM »

My grown daughter made one up for an older child using a soda bottle istead of a bag, but instead of rice, she used salt, and she thinks the closeness of  the grains and their opacity make it a bit more challenging still.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2009 08:32:34 PM »

I ended up making 5 of these for kids 2-4 and adults LOVE them!  The kids like them, too, but I'm considering making at least one for adults.  2 of those I made were for The ManFlesh's nieces and he could just sit there and spy and spy even though he knew everything that was in them before they went in and everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WizardGlick
Save the Texas Prarie Chickens

Greener seems to fall beneath your feet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2009 09:15:40 PM »

I love this idea! I need to know how to sew very badly. Ok, I have to ask... you used the terms "clinical supervisor" and "self-contained." Would you happen to be a speech-language pathologist? Like me?  Grin 

Also, "this rocks" hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMOM13
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2009 05:52:08 AM »

Well planned out, especially with the cards attached to the bag.

This would be a great thing to have the child take with them to keep them occupied anytime they are going to have to wait awhile for something. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
himtnc1
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2009 09:27:37 AM »

Someone in an earlier post was concerned about using rice especially that it might come thru or get buggy.  I make rice heat packs all the time (and use them 2 - 3 x a day for my sore back, shoulders, etc).  The only time I've ever had rice come thru was if it was put in a microwave on the turntable that had  some grease on it, and it scorched a hole thru it.  So, now I make sure my microwave is very clean.  Also, since I made quite a few for gifts, I microwaved the rice on high for a couple minutes to kill any bugs in the rice.  Never had any problems; but felt safer in giving them as gifts.

G
THIS ROCKS   Logged
himtnc1
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2009 09:33:02 AM »

Mare Mare, I LOVE the truck fabric you used.  Where did you get it?  I have a 3 year old grandson who loves construction trucks and would love to make this for him - perhaps putting trucks inside, tools, etc.  IF I can find them.  Please let me know where you got the fabric.

Thanks,

Geri
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Look Alive in a Sea of Sharks
The Sixties Make a Comeback in 2013
Giving a Modern Look to the Princess Dress
The Ideal Look for Autumn
Top 4 Fall Looks That Transition Day to Night
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...