A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Spy Bag: made for a 4-year-old, but I wanna keep it! NOW with TUTE on page 4  (Read 55139 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , i_spy , toy , plaything , tutorial , travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pepe_Shalamar
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008 07:00:09 PM »

If kids had this in stores a long time ago, I doubt video games would have been invented. Will you travel back in time and spread this to everyone? I've heard of the big plastic bottle ones, but I LOVE this idea, especially with the card with the illustrations on it. Brava!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Act well your part, there all the honor lies."
CJKJ
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008 05:11:58 AM »

I made one of these yesterday.  I had gotten a roller foot when i went to a pattern design class and the foot work great for sewing with vinyl so that was pretty painless.  I wasn't quite sure how to piece together the top though.  I got it put together, but I'm wondering if there's an easy way to do it?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_abi
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008 05:56:45 AM »

Here's a quick'n'dirty tutorial of the I Spy Bag:

Decide on a finished size.  I chose, I think 8"x8".  Cut 1 piece of fabric (for the back) of 9" x 9", including seam allowances, and a piece of vinyl that's approx 5"x5".  Now cut strips of fabric measured this way:

• 2 strips that are (9" -5")/2 by 5"
  • 2 strips that are (9"-5")/2 by 9"

CJKJ, not sure if I piece the top the easy way or the hard way!  It's done log-cabin style.  By which I mean attach the strips this way:

I used different colors so you can see the contrast/seams.

1, 2.  Attach 2 strips of fabric to 2 opposite sides of the vinyl.  Trim so they match the width.  You now have a long rectangle. 

3, 4.  Attach 2 longer strips of fabric to the 2 empty sides of the vinyl, including the previously attached fabric strips. 

For sewing vinyl, you can use any of the tricks discussed.  My way is to sandwich the vinyl b/w fabric and tissue paper.  Others have tried using vaseline, teflon or rolling presser feet, or prayer.

Now you should have 2  9"x9" squares.  Sew 'em together, pillow-case style, leaving a good opening one one side. 

Clip corners, and turn it right-side out. 

In my I-Spy bag, I attached the card with the objects using a buttonhole I put diagonally in the corner.  I think I cordoned off the buttonhole (to prevent leakage) by sewing a straight seam diagonally across the corner.  If not, I wanted to, but got lazy.

(NB: before you fill the pouch, take inventory of all your objects.  Type up a list, and, if your recipient is pre-literate, take a photograph of all the objects.)

Now comes the fun part!  Fill with everything imaginable.  I used buttons (clip off the shanks if you can), beads, glass marbles (the decorative fish tank kind), paper clips, a plastic thimble, coins, notions (rosettes), a bead tag, plastic animals.  To get inspiration look through your button bin and the fabric store for novelty buttons, and visit the dollar store.  They have plastic animals and all sorts of junk.  Awesome.  I used 50 objects precisely.  I would say anywhere from 30 to 50 is a good number for that size pouch.  I would use larger objects for a smaller child.  I also used Shrinky Dinks to make the child's name, puttine each letter on a separate circle.  You could also use alphabet beads. 

Dump in rice, polybeads (avail at craft stores), beans, lentils, whathaveyou.  Test for fullness by letting it gently flop on your lap.  You want the window to be full of rice, but you don't want the bag too heavy, or too full so that it's hard to manipulate the rice and objects.

Finally, print out your list and photograph.  Laminate them together or use contact paper.  Punch a hole the corner, and attach to the buttonhole via a ribbon. 

Hope this all made sense!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008 07:52:22 AM by lil_abi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008 07:46:50 AM »

THANK YOU! This is a wonderful project, and the tutorial is perfect. I may make one for my 83 yo mom who has dementia.
Thanks for a great idea!! Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wendellina

CMF since '75 \../ >.< \../

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008 08:38:18 AM »

Smiley  GREAT idea.  These are perfect for kids to work on their hand-eye coordination.  Developmentally, your game card is great!  I have added these to my " I need to make this" list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aethelberga
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008 04:20:44 PM »

I have never even heard of these (not having kids) but what a great idea! Now I have to make one this weekend for my boss' little girl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ClonedBravo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My 3 guys are gonna be joined by a baby in March!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008 07:08:23 PM »

What weight vinyl did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss you Gramma! Jo Saunders, 5/20/1931- 10/11/2012

I've wisted stuff!!  http://www.wists.com/clonedbravo
Just like the Gypsy woman said!
Check out my ETSY, please! http://www.etsy.com/people/prancingdragon
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008 08:44:23 PM »

You are way too clever!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_abi
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008 01:54:44 PM »

What weight vinyl did you use?

Not sure.  Not the thinnest of the offerings, but perhaps the next step up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
Romey14
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008 05:48:49 PM »

That is a very clever idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Fashion and Style Trends of 2013
Beautiful Christmas Day Makeup
How to Style a Glam Holiday Hairdo
Opt for a Tuxedo as an Alternative to the LBD
How to Get a Kendall Jenner Inspired Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...