A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,545
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Spy Bag: made for a 4-year-old, but I wanna keep it! NOW with TUTE on page 4  (Read 54661 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , i_spy , toy , plaything , tutorial , travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008 05:43:43 PM »

It really depends on the age of the kiddo.  The name circles I made out of Shrinky Dinks were quite small, and I think a younger child might have been discouraged.  If you put in ninjas or GI Joes, they will surface fairly frequently.  I really don't think it would be a huge problem, as there are plenty of other goodies to find.  Especially as concerns the younger or easily-frustrated child, they'll be thrilled to find something easily. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008 07:40:00 PM »

i love this! i worked at a daycare and we had some of these - the kids loved them :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
crafty_mommy

Proud Mommy of two gorgeous girls<3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008 08:04:47 PM »

oh wow FANTASTIC!!! I had seen this for sale somewhere before but it is a great idea!! Where did you find all of the items to put in the bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap for a Sackboy doll!!
my wists - http://www.wists.com/crafty_mommy
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2008 08:03:42 AM »

It really depends on the age of the kiddo.  The name circles I made out of Shrinky Dinks were quite small, and I think a younger child might have been discouraged.  If you put in ninjas or GI Joes, they will surface fairly frequently.  I really don't think it would be a huge problem, as there are plenty of other goodies to find.  Especially as concerns the younger or easily-frustrated child, they'll be thrilled to find something easily. 

That makes sense!  Maybe I'll do a variety to extend the life of it.  I just am trying to imagine how you got all those things in an 8 x 8 thing with the rice AND room to shift it all around!  I bought a 10 pound bag of rice yesterday thinking it looked like enough for 4-5 bags, but then I thought, "how's little Roxy/Megan/Syndney/Ashton going to lug around 2 pounds of rice, T?"  I think I'll have PLENTY of rice.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_abi
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2008 01:29:53 PM »

Where did you find all of the items to put in the bag?

I think I mentioned my treasure troves in an earlier post, but here are some of my ideas:

dollar stores
craft/fabric store: look in bead/button aisles
junk drawers in the kitchen (You could put in a pen cap, a paper clip, a bread tag, a binder clip)
coins (foreign or domestic)
Shrinky Dinks
Board game pieces/puzzle pieces (hey; they're incomplete anyway, right?  Just toss Scrabble tiles with the kid's name, and a few Monopoly pawns in)
Look in toy stores in the impulse items by the cash register for 10 cent stuff like plastic animals, dice with 12 sides, and bouncy balls)

And it's great to find a way to throw in the kid's name.  It personalizes it, helps with early literacy skills, and cuts down on the number of other items you need!  Try finding alphabet beads, Scrabble tiles, buttons, or Shrinky Dinks.

TheMistressT, I agree.  2lbs would be too heavy.  You want to fill the bag, but loosely.  If there's too much rice, the kid won't be able to manipulate it to find the items. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008 02:43:14 PM »

I'm sorry to badger you with questions, but I couldn't help buy get a few little things in the Goodwill bins yesterday that the ManFlesh's nieces would like (or he would want them to like, like ninjas) so now I"m going to make a few more - is 2 too young for one with bigger things?  I don't really know these developmental things about the wee humanoids.  I also don't cook, so I'm just going to have to make 10 pounds worth of these things to use up that rice!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_abi
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008 07:11:28 PM »

I like questions, don't sweat it!

I think 2 would be too young for sustained solo attention on a bag.  Play at 2 is usually not sustained on one thing for more than a few minutes (unless it's Teletubbies).  2 might be okay if an adult engaged her actively.  "Find the horsie!"  She might not get it, as many 2's are still playing peek-a-boo! 

What do those of you with 2-year-olds think? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hockamama
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2008 06:20:37 AM »

I made these a couple of years ago for my son and neice and they adored them.  I used rice in mine, and it proved to be very heavy, so I bought some pellets to make some this year for christmas presents. 

I really like the tag you did, I may copy that idea, if you don't mind.  when I did mine, I made a pouch of the same fabric with another vinyl window, and just sewed into it a list on cardstock.  the pictures in groups is a great idea, makes it a little more like the gameboy i-spy game.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
  ~Oscar Wilde

wistpinterestfacebook
lil_abi
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2008 02:24:33 PM »

gameboy i-spy game
Huh

How long have I been out of the videogame loop?

What is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deceptive.fragileness
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2008 09:39:15 PM »

I have a two year old who would love a toy like this.. Larger items might work better, but it's a toy that they can continue to play with for years if you do it well. I don't see them playing with them for too long in one sitting, but I know that my two year old loves to sit and look at the simple board books with pictures of animals and objects and just name them and their sounds if its an animal, so if you put a lot of easy to name objects in with a few harder ones for when they're older, I'd say you're good.. At least that's what I'm planning on doing for the ones I am making for my two year old and a few other 2-3 year olds I know for christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anne Hathaway Has Wardrobe Malfunction At Les Miserables Premiere
How to Make a Sequined Tie Sweater
How to Rock the Shimmery Trend for Daytime
Celebrity Street Style Recap Jessica Alba, Gwen Stefani and Selma Blair
Ugly Christmas Sweaters Are a Hot Commodity
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...