A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pick knitting...knit picking?!  (Read 70270 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_loom , craftster_best_of_2008 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Riechan
~What is this feeling?~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008 02:02:07 AM »

how do you tie it off??
'cause I have tried it but it didn't work ... it just went loose and now I can start over Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008 05:29:42 AM »

how do you tie it off??
'cause I have tried it but it didn't work ... it just went loose and now I can start over Sad

You can tie (bind) off the same ways you would on a knifty knitter or other loom. 

One flat panel method from www.loomknitting.co m is to:

Just get to a point with only one loop on each tooth.  Go to the end opposite of the working yarn tail and take the second loop off and put it on the first tooth and "knit" by pulling the bottom loop over the top and off the comb.  Next, move the loop on the first tooth to the second.  Then, move the loop on the third tooth over to the second tooth and knit again.  Repeat moving the loop over to the third and bringing the forth over to the third and knitting.  Do this to each tooth 'til you reach the last.  E-wrap and knit the last tooth twice with the working yarn tail and cut it 6" long.  Pull snug and weave into you item.

My own invention:

I find it easier to "sew" or weave the working yarn. Pull the yarn down through the second loop back up through the first.  Then, down the third and back up the second.  All the way to the end and tie the yarn with a half-hitch to the last loop and weave in the end.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008 05:38:18 AM by mieljolie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riechan
~What is this feeling?~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008 10:14:32 AM »

ooh thankyou !!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quaisior
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008 11:35:14 AM »

That is so cool. Now I wonder if I got rid of all of my picks and wide tooth combs from when I had perms in the 80's. If so, I'm sure I can find something in one of my thrifting expeditions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009 08:08:40 AM »

Just saw this post made the "Craftster Besy of 2008"!  How funny is that.  Of all the stuff I've posted, this one makes the list.  Haha

Thought I should update my progress on this.  Awhile back I made a pouch for a Craftster Halloween swap on a metal dog comb.  I loved the feel and tiny size of it, but it was pretty tedious to work with.  You can check it out here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=270616.msg3054614#msg3054614

I've now switch to using all kinds of other found items to make knitting looms/rakes (I guess that is what they are called.) including rubberbands, pens/pencils, cocktail stirrers, and even pick-up sticks.  My blog is full of examples.

And, I did end up breaking down and purchasing a Knifty Knitter set just out of curiousity.  But, I found it at a thrift store for $3.  Smiley  For most projects, though, I still like the homemade looms better.  The knifty "gauge" seems to be too large for anything beyond beanies and scarves.  Smiley  At least the pick and plastic tapestry needle were useful.  I was using a floss stick in the pics, but found a dental pick at a dollar store for the dog comb pouch.  The Knifty Knitter pick has a nicer rubber handle.

For updates on my experiments, see my blogs below.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009 11:13:19 AM by mieljolie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009 07:04:07 AM »

Congrats!!

Craftster Best of 2008!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Goldiepel
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009 06:11:15 PM »

Who'd a thunk it. LOL.   Cheesy  I bought a nifty knitter and its sitting in my closet.  I should have gone this route and saved some money.  What a crafty idea. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009 08:17:26 PM »

Who'd a thunk it. LOL.   Cheesy  I bought a nifty knitter and its sitting in my closet.  I should have gone this route and saved some money.  What a crafty idea. Wink

Knifty Knitters are still useful in their own way.  Though, maybe you could get more use from your KK loom hanging jewelry or something from it.  Haha.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009 08:17:59 PM by mieljolie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

laundry lady
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009 06:09:48 AM »

ha ha I bought the knitters but will make these too to add to my collection
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2009 01:13:24 PM »

I know how it is.  I'm getting quite the "collection", as well.  I keep experimenting with different things to make looms out of.  Each has its benefits over the others.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Put A Delicious Asian Twist On Chicken Wings!
Stir-Fry 101
How to Make Miso Glazed Rockfish
Easy Beef Noodle Stir Fry Recipe
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...