A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,584
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pick knitting...knit picking?!  (Read 70357 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_loom , craftster_best_of_2008 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009 07:19:56 PM »

I don't think you're weird at all for using a comb/pick.. in fact.. it actually makes me want to search the house for a big tooth comb so I can try it. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
mieljolie
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010 09:47:15 AM »

I don't think you're weird at all for using a comb/pick.. in fact.. it actually makes me want to search the house for a big tooth comb so I can try it. lol.

Thanks for the reassurance.  Smiley  I know the combs have kinda disappeared from popularity, but you can still find them at dollar stores and beauty supply stores for around $1-2 US.  Not too long ago I saw someone did a great job attaching the combs together to make the knitting wider and to do double-knitting.  They also shaped the teeth with a wood burner to make them better for loom knitting.  Such clever ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sonam
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010 11:53:44 AM »

I LOVE IT!! I am going to try this asap. I have a bunch of picks that I am supposed to use to build a hackle, well one of them is going to be for this instead  Wink

I much more enjoy building my own "equipment". I also found something on the net that shows you how to build a round one of these with a tin can and nails.

Thanx for all the pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010 12:22:29 PM »

^^^
sonam, you have my curiosity with the hackle made of combs.  Smiley  I, too, am a hardcore DIY'er.  Why buy things you can make yourself?!  If you give it a shot, feel free to post pics of your progress if you like.

BTW, I have a free tutorial on my blog at knitty-witty.blogspot.com for making a round or flat knitting loom or board out of sticks and rubber bands.  That's what I'm into these days.  I like the smaller gauge and portability.  Just need to find time to work on it.

Good luck and happy knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yiski
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010 05:00:33 AM »

Huh question from a n00b  Huh
I was addicted to finger knitting with the best of them as a child but how does one knit or purl while using this technique? is it taking the lower loop forward on one stitch and back on the next? (or something like that?)
 Huh confused  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2010 08:53:22 AM »

Hello, Yiski!  As I have found while researching loom knitting, there are many different types of stitches and some have several ways you can accomplish them.  The knit stitch can be done the same as you are used to.  But, the purling is a little more complicated.  You are pretty much switching the stitches around by removing them from the pegs.  Let me try to explain the simplest approach. 

For knit, you pull the bottom loop over the top, right? But for purl, you pull the top loop through or in the loosened bottom loop until it it now under. Hang on to that original top loop that is now on the bottom while removing the remaining loop from the peg and replace the top loop back on the peg.  Clear as mud, right? 

The method the loomers below use is different, but hopefully they'll illustrate the idea.  Instead of wrapping all the pegs before knitting off, they will wrap as the go along.  NOTE:  You won't need the pick tool if you knit loosely.

PurlingSprite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pclJ7gUvEAY (Purls)

YarnBay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUxfBRC4mtc (Garter Stitch or alternating knit/purl)

If you look around the internet, you'll read about twisted stitches.  This just means the pegs were wrap different (around the pegs) before knitting the stitches.  If you have tension problems and your knitting is too tight, try using this twisted or "e-wrap" method.

I hope I explained that properly.  It's difficult without yarn in my hands.  Good luck with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brianne00
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2010 02:22:33 PM »

This is such a cool idea.  I'm going to try it ASAP.

www.00buttonsandbow s00.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010 06:34:23 AM »

Good for you, Brianne00!!  Good luck and enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeannemarie.burdette
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2011 11:53:52 AM »

What an awesome idea. I will have to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Raging Sloth

Because Papier-Mache solves everything...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011 05:08:05 PM »

Great idea! the combs and tape? Sweet! I definitely want to try this! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...