A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,914
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Obliterated craft section in Walmart?  (Read 6564 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Daneisha

I <3 fabric and puzzles!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009 07:13:52 AM »

I work at one of the WMs in Lake Charles.  Our store still has fabric...for now.  We are going through a remodel in June, and the crafts section will be reduced to about 2 aisles, and it will mostly be wedding and party supplies.  Of course I already asked, and none of the fabric will be on clearance, they are just going to send it to another WM that still have a fabric section.   Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StumpBaby.etsy.com

::Glittery Awesomeness and Fabulously Geeky Machine Embroidery Designs!::

:::::::::Knitters I need your help!  PM me please::::::::::
DDkittymama

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009 07:46:21 PM »

Our Walmart did not get rid of the craft section but they did change it. They changed what they offer as far as scrapbook stuff and well I don't like it. I live in Houma, LA so I am lucky I have a lot more to chose from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Homer Simpson
purefairydust
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009 06:51:29 PM »

The Super Walmart did get rid of the craft and fabric section on Jefferson Hwy. in Harahan. But the regular Walmart on Veterans in Metairie is still selling fabrics and crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
mgailp
Queen of 1000 Proj... Ooo, shiney

To boldly craft where everyone has crafted before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009 12:28:57 PM »

Hammond's WM did the same with its remodel. We are 'lucky' there is a Hobby Lobby (across the street from WM). They have decent sales but can be high for regular prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
The Sketchbook Project: Hope (Craft-A-Long)
Taking applicants for the Society of Procrastinators ... tomorrow
uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009 05:07:55 PM »

I found out that the only reason our Jennings Walmart kept it's fabric is the ladies who worked in the department protested and threatened to quit because they are sewers also and didn't want to have to go 30 min to get fabric not to mention be moved to other departments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
Animama
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009 01:40:42 AM »

They got rid of most of the sewing & craft section at the Super Wal-Mart in Covington during their big remodel. No more fabrics at all. There is still some yarn and very basic notions and supplies and not much else. It really pisses me off that WM squeezed out all the indie shops and now they shut down their fabric sections.

Luckily, Annie's Sewing Center in Covington managed to survive and not be run out of business by WM. She has good quality fabrics (garment and quilting) and a good selection of thread/supplies/notions. She also has some patterns. Annie's is at 2256 Phillip Dr.,Covington, LA (985) 867-8067.

Some other survivors: A-1 Vacuum & Sewing Center, 985-867-8167, 1000 Business 190 Ste 4, Covington, LA 70433 (Claiborne Hill, near Goodwill). Precision Sewing, 1-800-487-7397, 3997 Highway 190, Covington, LA 70433. There is also a new shop on Hwy 59 between Harrison and I-12. It is devoted to quilting. I'm sorry, but I can't remember the name.

Okies. That store is called Sew This, (985) 871-1491‎, 70117 Highway 59 # O
Abita Springs, LA 70420-3177
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009 10:01:45 PM by Animama » THIS ROCKS   Logged
uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009 08:28:59 PM »

That is how I feel too.They ran out almost every mom and pop shop of any kind and then they are shutting down parts of the store that most of us who live in small towns are really dependent on,because now we have nothing else.

It really pisses me off that WM squeezed out all the indie shops and now they shut down their fabric sections.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
Yojimbo

Ronin With Scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009 07:56:05 PM »

The Walmart on Siegen Lane in Baton Rouge just remodeled and destroyed their craft section.  For months, the yarn and knitting supplies were housed in the outdoor garden section!  The Siegen Walmart also no longer carries fabric.  The Walmart on College Drive, however, has not been remodeled and still has a fabric section.  I'm so over Walmart, though, I might just continue shopping at Hobby Lobby or Hancock Fabrics.  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KraftyKitonet
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010 03:25:30 PM »

Yea. I went to Walmart just the other day and saw they had done away with the section. It was rather irritating when I saw it. The craft section was really tiny and not very full. I am rather disappointed since I am always there and had not noticed the change since I have not sewn or crafted in a while. I used to go in there and spend hours looking through fabric, but when my son was born I had to quit. He was allergic to the chems and we are just now able to go. Grr. LOL Figures Walmart would do this to us crafters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.::.Wists.::.Etsy.::.
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010 10:01:26 PM »

Several Lake Charles WalMart stores no longer have fabric but the Sulphur location still does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use the AV Mode on Your dSLR
Learn about Depth of Field
Basic Photography Lighting Setups Tutorial
How to use Lighting Ratios in Photography
How to use Your Sekonic Light Meter
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...