A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips for unrolling/detangling yarn?  (Read 2474 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlackResonance
« on: August 06, 2008 03:06:45 PM »

Can someone tell me how I can avoid this Huh

It started as a circle. I carefully found and clipped off the 3 strands of waste yarn holding it together and found two ends of yarn, both of which were entangled to begin with around the whole loop so I just picked the one that was less tangled. They were also both on the inside. Can someone explain WHY it's so difficult for a company to make a freaking ball of yarn?!? Angry And what exactly I'm doing wrong? This isn't the first time this has happened and of course I'm anal enough to sit there for hours on end and reroll it into a proper ball. The last one I had this problem with had 3 ends of yarn...3?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008 03:08:42 PM by BlackResonance » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008 05:00:59 PM »

Yarn often comes in hanks, which is that it looks like you have.  The easiest way to wind a hank is with a yarn swift and ball winder.  Since you don't have either of those, you're going to want a parent, SO, or slave friend to hold the hank for you before cut the strands holding it together.  It should be a big oval, so make sure that all of the yarn is going the right way.  If you don't have a friend, you can use any number of things, a stack of books, a spinny chair, get creative.  Cut the strands, then find an end and wind a ball from that, going around and around.  That way, it won't tangle.  Cutting it and just going is what causes that nasty tangle.

And, to deal with that, you're just going to have to be patient.  Sad  Unfortunately, there's no easy way to take care of that.  If you buy your yarn from an LYS, many have a swift and ballwinder that you can use for free.  They'll even show you how to use it.  If you buy it online, some individuals who dye yarn are willing to wind it into a ball for you.

I wish you good luck and plenty of patience!  That looks like it's going to take a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
BlackResonance
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008 05:25:52 PM »

Good news is I'm almost done with it, but there seems to be a lot of little tiny nots. It's a boucle. I didn't have anyone around to help me at the time, but it just doesn't make sense to me, if there is an end of yarn wouldn't you just wind from that? And why do you need to wind? Why isn't it made into a ball, roll, skein, etc already?

Since this is either the second or third time this has happened I have vowed never to buy good yarn again. Guess I'll just stick to the Red Heart crap...Honestly it seems like such a waste of time if you have to do something the yarn company should have already done. Why not just leave it in a big heap in the store...seems practically the same to me.

Thanks for the help though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008 05:31:53 PM »

Hanks are easier to ship.  A hank will fit into a bubble mailer, while a ball won't fit as well.  Don't give up on the good stuff!  Plenty of "nicer" yarns are already in balls, Debbie Bliss yarns come to mind.  And check out your LYS, you can get the hanked stuff there and wind it into a ball at the shop. 

Glad to hear that you're almost done though Smiley

ETA: When yarn is dyed, particularly natural fibers (as opposed to acrylic which isn't dyed, it just is that color), they are dyed in huge huge hanks, think 80+ feet in circumference.  Its easier (read: cheaper) to wind it into 100 gram hanks and sell it that way than to wind it into hanks then roll it into balls.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008 05:35:23 PM by sassy-pants - Reason: Add info about dyeing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
sonjabegonia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008 09:32:08 PM »

Oh, I totally feel for you right now.  On more than one occasion, I've sat down to quickly turn a hank into a ball, end up pulling the wrong string or something (who knows?!?), and then have an entire afternoon project at hand.  It's especially frustrating if you had just finished turning a hank of the EXACT SAME YARN into a ball in 15 minutes with no problems!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twitter - @snelsonchi
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008 08:47:38 AM »

a yarn swift & ball winder in action.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlackResonance
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008 06:12:01 AM »

Yeah, it went in the trash. The last bit was so severely knotted. It was mostly a mohair yarn with the rest being wool silk and nylon...it got all frazzeled from rolling it into a ball (even if I had something to wind it, it would still have ruined the yarn), never mind the parts that were undoable, it just looked like a big fuzz ball. I just don't see yarn that comes in a hank as being very efficient. Also those are, from what I've seen, the more expensive yarns so I don't see any cost issue with them having to be shipped because they're making more than enough selling them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008 09:34:25 AM »

Oh mohair is notorious for tangling easily. But if you stick it in the freezer, it unsticks better. Next time, you might try trading the yarn with someone else rather than throwing it away. And that's just how the more expensive yarns are put up. It's not so much the ease in shipping as they're mostly found in yarn stores, but to show off the color/texture better and some people feel leaving it in a hank is easier on the yarn, doesn't stretch it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
BlackResonance
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008 11:41:15 AM »

So instead it can stretch by rolling it into a ball? It seems like the yarn would get ruined either way. I just see no point in it being in a hank Undecided

Besides that cotton crochet thread that comes on a cardboard spool, is there any other lighterweight (less than 4ply) 100% cotton, or wool that comes in a skein?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008 02:34:49 PM »

Peaches n' Creme and Sugar n' Creme cotton are both 100% cotton and are in balls.  KP Wool of the Andes comes in a ball, 100% wool, as does their Essential (100% Superwash wool) and Palette (100% wool) sock yarn.  There are tons of yarns that come in a ball/skein.  Check out Debbie Bliss yarns, Knit Picks, Elann.com.  Not all of them are in balls, but many are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Hinata Hyuga
Behind The Scenes: IDW Comic-Con Exclusives
How to Draw Frankenstein Doctor
How to Draw Final Fantasy Characters
How to Draw Tails
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...