A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boys Halloween Birthday Party -- Help me brainstorm!  (Read 717 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

joyfulheart
« on: August 06, 2008 07:55:14 AM »

My son is 7, inviting all his friends and cub scouts to his birthday party here at the house.   All the kids will be dressing up in their costumes.  Probably having it the weekend before Halloween.

I cant make it scary-gory as it will be a bunch of 1st graders, but want it to be Halloween-y.

We think we are going to have it at night so they can play flashlight tag...

Any ideas for decoration (frugal appreciated), games, activities, crafts, etc???

I saw on here someone made a giant spider web using rope and zip ties.  I'm definately doing that one!  I saw the eyeball wreath.  I treied to make the eyeball wreath, but mine looks like a 3 year old made it.  Sad  LOL

I'd love some ideas on what to do to the front yard.  It's a small front yard, but I want it to look really really cool. 

The problem is, the cool stuff is too scary for 1st graders.  And the non-scary stuff is too babyish.  He'd kill me if I decorated with winnie the pooh or somehting, LOL

Can anyone help me???

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008 08:53:30 AM »

Cardboard gravestones are cheap, easy, and not gory-scary.  My stepmom did 'em in front of her daycare every year, so I'd say they'd be fine for 1st graders.  Also, pumpkins!  You could even make painting pumpkins (or baby pumpkins) an activity.  And you could make scarecrows with some of your clothes (use pillows and batting for the body, and straw for accents).  Haybales (actually straw) tend to be pretty cheap, and can be used both for your scarecrows, and to prop pumpkins on.

For other activities, you can always bob for apples (I've heard of ways to hang them from strings, and bob from the ceiling, to avoid the nasty water), pin the nose on the pumpkin, let them make and decorate construction paper hats and crowns, just to name a few.  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
wisconsin wicked chick
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008 10:52:16 AM »

You would be surprised how something as simple as lighting can make a difference.  If you put a light in the bushes, depending on the angle, it will amplify a spookier feel.

I just remembered the lollipop ghosts from when I was a kid.  Hanging balloons covered with fabric from the trees is a pretty classic Halloween decorating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glass_trees
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008 08:03:05 PM »

a fav yard decoration that isn't scary i put up every year is the fake cob webs, cover bushes or plants in it, or string up between trees.

Wal-Mart has green ooze and dripping blood you could buy as well that just sticks to your window the boys would love green ooze!

Oh 2 years ago for my bff's birthday (her b-day is actually nov 1st but only cuz she was born late due to complications...so she celebrates as a halloween baby) any ways her mom took a plastic glove like either a surgical glove or a cleaning glove and filled it with colored water and then froze it... that served as our ice in the punch bowl... ^_^ it was cute! her mom even made a cake look like a mummy and her silly mother gave it a belly button on top of the wrappings XD the belly button and eyes were made of red hots and sour apple gummy rings

I also did a grave yard cake one year that was  hit with the girl scouts I made a two layer chocolate cake, i iced the bottom layer and then covered the top with gummy worms and stuff like that, then i put on the other layer and iced it and decorated the top with a grim reaper and a couple of tomb stone candles ^_^ lol it was awesome!

Another activitiy for the boys and their friends is to make caramel apples or candied apples there's 2 different ways of doing candy apples one with the red crunchy candy or simpler would be to cover apples in cake frosting and let the kids decorate with gummy worms and other candies ^_^

Oh at the catholic church i used to be a part of we had the kids 8-10th grades bob for apples then stick their faces in a bowl of flower and they had to find a marshmallow... ha ha I got laughed at so hard... no one told me their would be bobbing for apples and my students wanted me to participate and the bucket fell over on me when I was bobbing XD i was soaked up and down in a pink sweater that decided to have the color bleed all over me! XD and then I did find a marshmallow... cuz of how wet i was i looked like a ghost Tongue!!!

Water guns were popular as well

oh there's a spin on the pie eating contest, take an empty disposable pie pan, fill with whipped cream hide either candy or a piece of bubble gum or even again with the marshmallows in there and they have to hunt down the "prize" to win

Scavenger hunts are great too!

Oh and something cool if the kids know the story of Old man ripvanwinkle have the man of the house dress up in some tattered old pants and shirt and give him a long white beard ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HopeF
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008 10:37:01 AM »

I did a halloween carnival last year.  Most of the kids ranges from 2 to 8.  Here are a few things I did:

Pumpkin Bowling - Get 3 to 5 2 liters and spray paint them, fill 1/4 a way with sand.  Get small pumpkins and set up a bowling area in the front yard. 

Bean Bag Toss - I made some bean bags with some scrap orange fabric, filled with beans, and had containers to try and throw them in. 

Apple Bobbin - Bag of Apples, water, and a container to put them in.

Dig for Treasure - Sand and fake coins.  Some of the coins had numbers on them.  The little ones really loved this one!

At this age a lot of parents usually attend so when they get there put them on a game station to get them involved.  I had bought little things for each game for prizes too.  Very important that everyone gets a prize no matter if they toss the bean bag into the buckets or not.

As a special treat the neighbor brought his truck filled with hay and we had a hay ride too. 

I'm trying to come up with more stuff this year.  I have a few pics on my blog of some of the food I made if you want to check it out.  http://getsboredeasily.blogspot.com ...click on Halloween on the sidebar.

I think I'm going to make can of worms for party favors.  I'm going to get the soup cans with the flip top, open them from the bottom with a can opener, clean, fill with gummy worms in ziploc and glue bottom back on...with a new label that says Fresh Worms or Can of Worms.

I used lots of pumpkins(you can get real ones or make them pretty easily with fabric if you can sew), hay, corn stalks(don't be shy about asking neighbors with corn in their garden for these), ghosts(balloon+white trashbag = ghost), etc to decorate.

We made the witch stick goody bags too for favors.  You can find these on the Martha Stewart website along with other great ideas.

If you do a search you could probably find directions on how to make your own paper mache spider pinata to fill with candy.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueCherryFaerie
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008 07:22:32 AM »

Okay first I have to reccomend looking at the Monster List of Halloween projects:  http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/
Much of it will not be appropriate but some of it will.  And quite a bit of it is cheap and/or easy to make.  If you are starting now, you could make a bunch of fake pumpkins out of papermache or great stuff (directions for both are on that site).  And lets face it, papermache is cheap. 

For a wreath: I've bought a styrofoam wreath, several bunches of red roses from the dollar store and made a nice halloween wreath.  I've got directions here:  http://bluecherryfaerie.blogspot.com/2007/11/spooky-wreath.html
You could use anything you want to decorate it above and beyond that.  I used skulls but you could use a small foam gravestone, a spooky unwelcome sign, etc. 

Are you going to do gift bags for the kiddos?  If so, don't give em' candy, make some things to go in the bag.  My son and I made coffin shaped bookmarks for his classmates last year.  I made them some mummy doll made from pipe cleaners, wooden beads and cheap baby yarn too:  http://bluecherryfaerie.blogspot.com/2007/11/bendy-mummies-attack.html
You could add some spiders as well:  http://bluecherryfaerie.blogspot.com/2007/11/eek-spiders.html

There are quite a few sites out there of cute halloween foods.  Don't discount your local library for some good halloween book idea sources for Halloween food as well. 

Good luck!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vladimyr
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008 02:35:40 PM »

Monster Cupcakes!!

http://shuroki.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/monstercupcakes1.jpg

These are very fun to make (and eat). It's just standard cupcakes with candy pieces used to make the eyes and what not.

There's also this really cool wreath made of candy I remember seeing on Martha Stewart:

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/web/goodthings/gt053_canwreath01_l.jpg

It's just a wreath form with those black and orange candies you can get in big bags at Halloween attached (hot glue?). At the end of the night you can let the kids tear it apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Backgammon: Playing The Game
Backgammon Opening Position
How to Play Backgammon: Rules
How To Make a Memorial Vase Arrangement
How To Make a Bow Using Double Face Wired Ribbon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...