A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stitch n Bitch Nation - should I buy it?  (Read 714 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Elliecat
« on: August 06, 2008 06:49:53 AM »

I recently bought Stitch n Bitch - The knitter's handbook. I was really excited when it arrived but I was disappointed when I read it, I've only made one thing from it.

I was thinking about buying Stitch n Bitch Nation, hoping it would be more inspiring and have patterns that were a bit more exciting.

Can anyone out there advise me?

Thanks,

Ellie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008 06:58:24 AM »

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the patterns in either one.  SNB is a great book to learn from, but the patterns are so-so.  I would recommend getting SNBN from your library first to see if you like the patterns.  There are so many free patterns online though, that unless you're madly in love with at least two or three of the patterns in the book, I wouldn't buy it.

If you want inspiration, I would sign up for a invitation to Ravelry.  Once you get your invitation, you can browse patterns by craft, type, yarn weight, tags, etc.  I do that sometimes when I'm feeling uninspired, and it never fails to bring up some really awesome patterns.  Otherwise, you can check out Knittng Pattern Central for a very comprehensive list of free patterns available on the internet.

If you ever have trouble with any patterns, don't hesitate to ask the Craftsters Smiley  We like to help, and you'll usually find at least one person who's made the item and had a similar problem. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
butterlite
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008 09:30:42 AM »

Try borrowing it from your local library and see if you like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008 09:46:41 AM »

Other sites to check out for patterns are dailyknitter.com and knitty.com. There's a new online magazine at knotions.com that has some nice patterns. And yes, go to your library and look at SnB nation, plus they should have about a dozen other books available and sometimes knitting magazines to check out too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
amybarnett
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008 03:21:39 PM »

I personally like "Nation" alot better than any of the others.I have made a few patterns from it and enjoy the "articles" too. The Son of Stitch n Bitch is mostly sweaters.

If you are looking for a cool knitting book my favorite ones are "Weekend Knitting" and "Handknit Holidays". Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008 04:35:47 PM »

Try borrowing it from your local library and see if you like it.

I agree! When I see a new knitting book in a store I always get overly excited and make poor choices Smiley If I take it out of the library, I get to spend enough time with it to be a bit more rational.

I have SnB Nation and I think I've made a couple of things from it, but it really depends on your personal taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008 07:11:38 PM »

I have been a library convert after always buying my books from amazon for all my crafts..SnB nation for me is so so..I personally dont understand what all the hype is about..I even bought the son of..and I dont think sweaters are in my future..

I do love knit with balls..they have more diverse projects for boys...

anywho,yes library is a good stop..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
sonjabegonia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008 09:29:11 PM »

I agree with everyone else -- it's ok, but you can find great patterns online.  I purchased both SnB books before really delving into the online pattern scene.  I use the original SnB book quite a bit as a reference when I forget how to do something because of the way it's written. 

My opinion may be different if I was into knitting lots of wearable knits . . . but I'm more a fan of scarves, hats, pillows, accessories, toys, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twitter - @snelsonchi
COSTUM1STA
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008 09:21:07 PM »

I would look at it at the library first. I don't particularly like the patterns in either book. I've only made one or two things. The problem is that "trendy" stuff that so many teen knitting books put in goes out of style fast. I mean, does anyone knit with eyelash yarn anymore?

Try going to knittingpatterncent ral.com

There are SO many fantastic and FREE patterns online to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovefrozenstars
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008 02:01:04 PM »

I mean, does anyone knit with eyelash yarn anymore?

That made me giggle.   Cheesy

I agree with what everyone else has said.  Buy it only if you really love some of the patterns in it.
I learned to knit using the original SnB, and I still use it as a reference, but I don't think I ever knit any of the patterns from it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What makes someone go into the arts is their uncanny knack of perceiving the slightest problem as the grandest tragedy."
- Nicky Silver
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Phillipa Gregory Talks About The Boleyn Inheritance Part 2
Eric LeMay Talks About Immortal Milk
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Talk About The Adventures of Meno Series
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
John Lithgow Sings from I Got Two Dogs
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...