A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do with border print fabric?  (Read 655 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweet_apple_pie
« on: August 05, 2008 10:17:34 PM »

i bought a few gorgeous fabrics with a border print on top and bottom, and while i was looking at the fabric i knew that i would have a hard time actualy utilizing it, but i still bought it anyway.

well, a few days ago i decided to sew a dress using one of the fabrics and it was an absolute nightmare. all the skirts arch at the hem and all the bodices arch on the top. how in the heck do you use fabric with a straight border?

and pattern advices?

i know you can just gather the skirt, but i don't fit well into puffed skirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008 07:57:53 PM »

Border prints were really popular in the 70's. There are quite a few patterns (mostly dresses) designed for border prints floating around out there, if the dress pictured on the envelope has a border print, it'll work. My mom has several of these as well as probably a dozen dresses she made from them back in the day. I don't think she's parting with any of them, sorry. But that era tend to be pretty cheap on eBay & other sites, usually in the $3-5 range.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mystico_tala
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008 08:20:11 AM »

I'm working with some of that fabric right now too.  I ended up making skirts, but I imagine you can alter it for dress.  Since the edge has to be flat I just wrapped it around flat like you would a wrap skirt and then, for one, I took in big darts towards the top to make it fit at the top (think like, cutting triangles out towards the top of the skirt and then sewing them together).  The other one (I'm working on it right now) I'm putting pleats all the way around it so it is flat at the top and flares towards the bottom.  Just some ideas.  I imagine if you are making a dress you could make the skirts like that and then do what you like with the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008 08:39:28 AM »

Most if not all of the Big 4 pattern companies have at least a few border-print dresses and skirts out right now, if you take a look at the pattern books.  Make sure to look at all the pattern views, as some of them are adapted for border prints, but can also be used with regular fabrics.  They'll also say "border print" somewhere in the region of suggested fabrics, too, usually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008 02:16:38 PM »

Also, I've made several pencil skirts with two waistband pleats instead of darts in front and back, and they generally have a straight line hem, since the pleats help shape the curve after the fact. (Also, the pleats help give a nice drape and conceal the ol' child bearing hips a little... always a concern for me.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderwench
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008 01:41:12 PM »

In addition to dresses and skirts, I've used border prints on trousers. Use a really simple pattern with one pattern piece for the legs to get the best effect.

I also recently used a border print to make my husband a sport shirt. What can I say, it had palm trees, girls in canoes, the ocean... it just screamed Hawaiian shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13 NIV
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Megan Moore: The Revlon Makeover Challenge
Marianna Hewitt: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Marianna Hewitt: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Serein Wu: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Miranda Mendoza: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...