A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: big boob( jugs, melons) ladies out there please help me get the right dress  (Read 3208 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

La Maestra
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008 07:48:10 PM »

okay - and the term is breasts or bosom...

I'm a big fan of TLC's What not Wear, and there was a show on recently where they put a woman into tops with diagonal seams, but I can't find it online - they did give this advice on their site, though - long line for the top and flare at the bottom seems to be the theme (this is a cut and paste from the site):

"Stacy points out that because of Tanyas chest size, the jacket should have some length to it. A longer jacket will create a balanced look by supporting Tanya's chest and thinning her torso. The pants should flare at the bottom and have some room in the leg.

Clinton explains how a fuller-cut skirt that flares away from the body can help balance a larger chest.

Our fashion gurus suggest that Mai wear a lace camisole to downplay her chest.  They also show her how pairing a skirt that breaks around the knee with a high-buttoned jacket can make her look taller and thinner."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nightal1031
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008 08:00:44 PM »

hmm. i always do well with a V neck or scoop neck dress, because it gives attention to my collarbone/neck instead of my boobs. of course, you do need to make sure it doesnt show a lot of (or any) cleavage, cause then i guess it would be counterproductive.
a princess seam would work, as would a wrap dress... i have a friend who wore a wrap dress the other night to dinner, and one of our guy friends wouldn't get over how good she looked (and i agreed with her on how good her boobs looked while not appearing to be huge)
a flared skirt will always balance the figure, making the waist look small and cute, therefore emphasizing the waist instead of the chest.
i found that if i can get some sort of neckline design that is below the actual neckline, my boobs look smaller just because the line makes the size seem less.. grrr i'm going to have to draw a picture....

(i'm not talking about like a lacy frock looking thing or anything like that, just some sort of trim, maybe some embroidery or piping or something)

i hope that helps, i'm still on the lookout for some de-emphasizing dresses for more conservative outings (being a DD and 19 is nice for going out with friends, but sometimes you gotta go to lunch with your grandma) and this is what i've come up with so far in my search. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastinators unite!!!
...tomorrow
SamJ
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008 05:13:15 AM »

thank you Smiley thank you Smiley thank you Smiley to everyone whose helped

ive now redrafted the design, in my head,  ill put it up soon and hopefully ill be able to get on with it this weekend!!!

i didnt think the straight line across the top of the breasts was suitable but i wanted someone who really understands what its like to have bigger breasts to tell me

thank you now im off to redesign and if you think theres soemthing else that needs to be said any more help would be grateful !!!!!
sam
xx

what about this???

what about this neckline   http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=262547.0
im thinking it will emphasis the breast to much what do you think???

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008 05:43:28 AM by SamJ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knitsamknit.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/SamJ

where do i get freezer paper from??? im in the UK so does it have another name??? please help me!!!!
Muria
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008 07:29:08 AM »

I think I might shorten the outside edge of the sleeve, something more like this:

So that it's less of a horizontal line in the bust area, though my change makes it more of a wide strap than a sleeve.

As an experiment, I played around with a horizontal line below the bust line, and came up with these color combinations (darker color on top makes the area less noticeable):
Brown:
Blue:
pinkish red: 

Paint's not too friendly with coloring in pictures that weren't made in paint, but I thought they came out pretty nice.  Depending on what colors your MIL looks good in, those might be some options to think about.

I also played around with diagonals a bit:
teal:
black with maybe lace in the bottom corner:

In all circumstances with the spray paint circles, I was thinking a subtle print (tone on tone, maybe, or black on background color) or something like a lace overlay.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008 08:05:16 AM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
SamJ
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008 08:02:07 AM »

wow thank you for doing that (craftsters community is great when it comes to helping others!!!!)

im gonna be making it in black (those are the colour dresses shes been looking at) but maybe adding a contrasting colour around belt area like this

THIS ROCKS   Logged

where do i get freezer paper from??? im in the UK so does it have another name??? please help me!!!!
Muria
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008 08:11:21 AM »

Well, it's a lot easier to do it in paint than to do it in fabric.  Wink 

I know some people don't look good in black (my mother comes to mind. She looks much better in green, for example), so I thought some other options would be good.  But if she's looking at black anyway... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
MollyMillions
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008 10:42:30 AM »

heh heh. bosom.

Ahem. A belt might be a good idea, since What Not to Wear always preaches the importance of "cinching the narrowest part of you" idea. Which is sometimes at the waist, but can also be just under the bustline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whyme81687
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008 01:46:39 PM »

heh heh. bosom.

The fact that you're laughing makes me think of in middle school when we read a poem about a person's bosom burning with desire and the entire class burst out laughing. Our teacher couldn't figure out why until she found out that for some reason we all thought bosom meant your rear. I don't know where we got that idea but somewhere down the line my entire grade had gotten that definition messed up. Suddenly all our teachers understood why we thought bosom was such a funny word.

ANYWHO's I also agree with Molly Millions about the belt. With the neckline you have now and a belt I think you're really going to manage to draw the attention away from her chest as well as accenting her waist which is another good thing to do. I know you said she was looking at black dresses but I would try Navy blue as well. I dunno I just find it can be a more flattering color sometimes IMO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
SamJ
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008 03:22:11 AM »

a wasnt to sure if i was gonna pull this off so as a prototype i made a dress for myself (which my mother in law loved)
she really liked  the style of it and the length and even how it was over the breast area so now i have a better idea of what she likes and im smiling all the way!!!!

im making a start on monday, i have to go get the right material she likes flowy not fitted so you cant see any of her lumps and bumps!!!

heres the link for the dress i made for myself   http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=263577.0
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008 04:46:44 AM by SamJ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wacotickgirl
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008 06:44:41 PM »

i am a big booby person and would recommend a Criss cross type neck line you know the kind o v-neck that has the 2 piece's of fabric overlapping. in my experience this has been the best type because it covers and gives partial support and can easily cover a bra.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 14/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 18/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 13/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 12/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 10/30
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...