A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: big boob( jugs, melons) ladies out there please help me get the right dress  (Read 2732 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SamJ
« on: August 05, 2008 12:40:13 PM »

hello im sam and i am not a big boob person so im unsure on where to start this project

i want to make my mother-in-law a evening/formal dress
she doesnt know about it yet!!!! i figured if it went wrong no harm done  Grin   
i have all her measurements (thanks to a wounderful father-in-law) so thats not a problem

ive looked for simple long dress patterns but have not found any thing suitable you see she has very big .....hmmm.... boobs so i want something that will be able to make them look smaller for her or at least to make them less obvious so any suggestions on what sort of sewing patterns to avoid or which ones to go for would be great

also if some one could point me in the right direction to a dress pattern free or otherwise would be great 
i am a confident sewist so if theres a top and skirt patterns i am capable of joining the patterns to make a complete dress

i would really be grateful for some advice here and quickly the dress needs to be completed by the 22nd of august , she goes back to thailand for another year and shipping would cost a fortune 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knitsamknit.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/SamJ

where do i get freezer paper from??? im in the UK so does it have another name??? please help me!!!!
almond
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008 09:20:02 AM »

I think it depends on a) how big her boobs actually are (different people have different ideas of what is big!) and b) whether she feels the need to disguise them - she may be proud of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whyme81687
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008 09:28:07 AM »

I agree with almond about the actual size of her chest being important. But basic guidelines are no spaghetti straps It makes your chest look infinitely bigger than it actually is (at least that's how i always feel) because it's cut straight across, v-necks are incredibly flattering surprisingly and really help bring the attention away from your chest and up towards your neck and face. Halter tops can be flattering, the only draw back being they're difficult to wear with a good supportive bra. That's the other thing make sure you make something that can be comfortably worn with a supportive bra, because of regardless of whether she wants to hide them or not that is always important.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
Taniquel
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008 03:08:37 PM »

V neck and scoop are flattering necklines.  It is important to avoid any high necklines, they make big boobs look bigger and saggy.

Wide straps to conceal bra straps are nice

it is also really important to have the dres come in unter the breasts, empire line works well, so does princess seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marieC
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008 09:55:46 AM »

Hmm.  If I was doing this I'd pay attention to all the big boob-ed ladies I see through out the day and try to remember what they're wearing that looks good.  Then you can go from those styles of necklines and bodices to direct what you want to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008 08:53:16 PM »

Simplicity has a few patterns that offer a bodice for different cup sizes.  They go up to D, which may not be big enough, but is less of an alteration for you.
Speaking as someone with a bigger chest, I avoid anything super-concealing like the plague since it looks dowdy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SamJ
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008 11:36:34 AM »

thank you for all the advice Grin    shes not a person who really wants to show them off but make them look 'normal' she is quite big for her bodyframe, well put it this way....she wants a breast reduction so shes not really that fond of them.  i have a few ideas going round my head, shes away visiting friends, next week for a few days  so im gonna be having a go then ill post if it comes out  any good !!!!

what about this Huh??

or is the neck line wrong?Huh
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008 11:54:20 AM by SamJ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knitsamknit.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/SamJ

where do i get freezer paper from??? im in the UK so does it have another name??? please help me!!!!
Muria
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008 04:08:57 PM »

It's possible that the horizontal line across the bust (the neckline, not the darts) will draw attention to how wide that area actually is.  You really want vertical lines to be slimming/deemphasize. Palmer/Pletsch puts out a (somewhat dated. fashion-wise) book called "Looking Good" by Nancy Nix-Rice that talks about how to accentuate the positive in your figure.  The full bust minimization section says to:
get a good fitting bra(I've been told you can't overemphasize the importance of a bra that fits well, especially in evening wear),
use small shoulder pads to balance it out
Put focus upward with interesting necklines, scarves or jewelry or
put focus downward with colorful skirt prints
chose tapering jackets or overblouses (ending below hipline)

It also says don't use horizontal bodice details (pockets, short sleeves with contrasting cuffs), or wear something clingy or with wide belts or waistbands.

I checked it out of my local library, and found it somewhat useful (though it won't tell you anything about fashion trends).  One of the things for full bust that I liked was a dress with a diagonal seam from the shoulder to the hem and different fabrics on each side.

Don't know if that helps or not. I tend to prefer princess seams myself, but I've liked them longer than I've had a full bust.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008 05:00:20 PM »

Seconding princess seams.  I have a hard time getting anything empire to fit.  Usually even patterns for a larger bust don't have enough material in the bust and the seam would run mid-chest instead of below, and they're often too revealing for most occasions.

A lot depends on the rest of her body, though.  Is she otherwise rather slim?  If so, it could be very nice if you can draft it to accommodate her chest.  If she's carrying any extra weight, though, empire might make her look kinda pregnant. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008 07:30:51 PM »

If she's carrying any extra weight, though, empire might make her look kinda pregnant. 

Oh definitely!  It's one of the reasons I never wear empire (or the babydoll look.  It only took one time of my husband asking our waitress in a babydoll shirt if she was expecting when she wasn't to get the idea that it wasn't flattering. And she didn't look at all overweight to me). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 3/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 12/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 13/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 2/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 4/13
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...