A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Um...help? -long, rambling story ending with a loom question-  (Read 1327 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

*knitasaurous

OMG.A giant sheet of styrofoam is going to eat me!

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2008 01:47:00 AM »

Okay, so myself and a few members of my family finally got up to my grandmothers house to help clean out her living room, which had been the same way for at least thirty-five years, last Sunday. This involved much removing of books, vacuuming up all the dust/cobwebs, smashing two couches, and taking out a HOT TUB, which sat, in their living room, behind the couch, for 35 years. And which everyone thought was empty, only it wasn't (and was also holding 12 mice, which my brother described as 'smooshy' after he fished them out Tongue. And his thought of bringing the thing home to use it were dashed).
Anyway, behind the hot tub was a four harness floor loom, in many pieces, which I got to take home and clean. This by itself was fairly nasty, as I had to haul the thing down a flight of stairs and down a decently steep set of outdoor steps to even get it out of ther house (ah, the joys of grandparents who live on a freaking mountain. not.) and then had to unload it from the back of our pickup to get it in the backyard so I could clean the damn thing.
As far as I can tell, it's a fairly nice loom, handmade by a guy in Bellingham, WA, who's most likely dead now, as some girl in my grandmother's college weaving course got the last loom he ever made. I have the instructions for putting it all together, but as I know absolutely nothing about weaving or looms and the instructions seem to be written for someone who kind of knows what the heck they're doing, I need a website about four harness looms/weaving in general. I know I can get loads of books from my grandma, but I won't be going back to their house for a while, and I'd like to be able to stick it together enough to see if it's at least useable. If I can't use it, but it's useable, I could at least sell it, which is better than BURNING it, which is what my grandfather wanted to do.
Oh, and I totally got eaten by mosquitoes while I was there. It was so worth it though. That's seriously the most floor I've ever seen at one time in that house. Besides, I got a spinning wheel as well, and that I KNOW works.  Grin
Thanks for advice and for reading through all my blather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bad podcaster, no cookie!

knitasaurous= the knitting dinosaur that will eat you for calling it a grandma
henofthewoods
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008 10:01:33 AM »

Maybe someone from one of the links would be able to help?
Maybe someone else even has one of these looms?

http://www.eugenetextilecenter.com/links.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mountain_waif
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008 01:03:10 PM »

Here is a site that has links further down on this page to many looms.  Looking through these may help you in some way.  He has much info on weaving on here also including terms that may help you better understand the instructions.

http://www.geocities.com/bgkoe/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Spicy Tuna Roll
How to Make Temptura Prawn Sushi Rolls
How to Make Ball Shaped Sushi
How to Cook Japanese Style Sardines
How to Make Cured Mackerel Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...