A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fat Spiral Notebook Cover/Sleeve HELP...  (Read 874 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abercrombiehrt
TEEN :)

Im a teen who's passion is sewing

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2008 10:31:04 PM »

I need help making a book cover for a fat spiral notebook...
Here's my problem: whenever I try to measure the fabric size, the size changes when I close the notebook. The cover is too big when the notebook is closed... please help me!

Here's a pic of what my notebook looks like, but my notebook is in a different color:

http://www.kikki-k.com.au/images/poly_travel_journal_det.jpg

that's the closest thing i found that looked like my notebook...surprisingly they didn't even have it on the Target website...which is where I bought the notebook

BTW: it's called the poly travel journal, it's 6 in W x 8 in L
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008 02:55:34 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to remove hotlinked image. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SeW4LiFe:)
val_for_design
Shimmy to the left, and shake it to the right

I should be working...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008 11:20:51 PM »

It sounds like you're on the right track... but it's a problem you can't really get rid of.

Are you making a slip cover, that the back & front covers slide into, or are you bonding (glueing) the fabric cover to the existing one? I think you're going to keep hitting the same problems. The cover will always end up "too large" when the book is open.

The other option is to cover the front and back separately, and leave the comb spine exposed. If you open the comb carefully (and pay attention to the construction so you can put it back together the right way!), you can slide out the covers and pages. Glue your fabric to the covers, and cut out all the little holes (a pain, but it can look pretty professional if you do it well). Then re-assemble everything, and admire your spunky new notebook. Hope that helps  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I suffer from SABLE -- Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

Crochet uses a hook. Pirates have hooks, and they are cool. So crochet is cool because of the hook.

"I'm the Fibre King, Michael. I'm the Fibre King." - Horatio Caine, CSI
abercrombiehrt
TEEN :)

Im a teen who's passion is sewing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008 06:49:40 AM »

thanks...so you're saying that it will always be too big? darn...thanks for the other options Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SeW4LiFe:)
badzoe
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008 10:38:40 AM »

I have a store-bought leather cover for a 6 x 9.5 notebook.  It has really deep pockets where the front and back cover slide into.  It doesn't seem to be too big when opened.  I can send you photos if you would like.

Kristi 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
La Maestra
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008 03:23:22 PM »

Are you using a stretchy fabric?  That would help with the size change - or at least make the "spine" part out of something stretchy?  (The kind of stretchy that "springs back" to shape, like elastic.)  Or make some sort of gathered spine that accordians  when the book is opened and closed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008 05:15:13 PM »

I agree w/val_for_design's last option = cover each side individually. That way there's no issue of it being too big & you won't have to deal w/things slipping off or getting bunchy when open.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patchworkdragon
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008 05:48:25 PM »

I have a storebought leather cover too, and it works like this- the pockets for the prong and back cover are just loose enough for the book to slide a little without binding up.  The book cover fits tightly at the spine when closed, is stiff, and only likes to fold at the pre-creased areas on either side of the spine.  When I open the book, either the front or the back cover of the book actually slide out of the pocket just enough so the book cover lies flat and the spine of the cover is still tight to the spine of the book itself.

A million years ago when I covered books with brown paper bags for school (to witch I walked up hill both ways in the snow of course) I noticed the same thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Community Swaps:
Dotees: stalking and planning
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Club Flyer - Working with Text Part 9/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Creating Your Own Background Part 11/14
How to Design a Haunted House Part 3/3
How to Design a Club Flyer - Adjustment Layers Part 4/14
How to Design a Club Flyer Part 1/14
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...