A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,681
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "ugly" coat, with tute!! **added action pic**  (Read 4816 times)
Tags for this thread: movie_monsters , coat , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KitschyCoo
« on: August 04, 2008 05:48:51 PM »

So we're just back from our holiday and I'm itching to use my new fall fabrics.  My aunt sent me a gorgeous vintage coat, and it fits dd, so I figure "I can make that, how hard can it be?  I can sew peasant tops, and trousers and shirred dresses!  The vintage coat was sewn ENTIRELY BY HAND, and I have a machine, right?"  This coat has two panels on each side of the front, two panels in the back, two collars and is fully lined.

Here's the coat:

Here's my tute on how to totally mess up making a coat:

1.  Ignore the basic structure of lovely original coat. Stick to the rough a-line shape, trace around the coat back and sleeve, added a bit of seam allowance.  Become baffled (I've never done buttons before) so wasn't sure about how much they should overlap, how much I should be folding etc.  So wing it and hope for the best. 

2. Cut fabric as per my "pattern".  Forget about logic and cut front left panel on the wrong side of fabric.  Sigh and cut again.

3.  Do normal things like sewing shoulders and sleeves.  Note that sleeves are not wide enough to match up but go for it anyway as it's stretch cord (this will haunt me later)

4.  Do other normal things like sewing up sides of body and sleeves, do again because of bad pinning.  Hem but forget about the stretch factor and end up with a wavy hem.  Put a brave face on.

5.  Now basic jacket is constructed, celebrate!  Wait a minute, this fabric is ugly, lament!  Here's proof:

6.  Now that everything I know how to do is finished, consider how to do the buttoney bit.  Decide a bit a folding and lots of topstitching.  Then ignore.

7.  Hmm, what about the collar?  Never done one of those before... Cut what you perceive one to look like out of paper, laugh, cut another, laugh bitterly, cut another, adopt stoic attitude towards weird collar.

8.  Find garish fabric to make collar.  If this coat can get uglier, it's ironic right??

9.  Attach collar, realise that center bit above buttons is unfinished so the dreaded bias tape must be used. 

10.  Stare at unfinished sleeves, decide to use fabric from collar.  Cut what you think a cuff looks like out of paper (too narrow) and then again a bit better.  Cut fabric on the wrong fold.  Cut correctly (ish, that stretch will come in handy again) and attach.

11.  Pull out instruction manual for sewing machine and stare blankly at the 10 page button hole section.  Pick one and hope for the best.  Realise it's wider than the topstitching you did with relish earlier.  Have the foresight to stabilise with stitch and tear, but not that you should keep it there when ripping the inside of button hole.

12.  Lose buttons down the back of the couch.  Find buttons (amongst other things). Attach buttons badly so the panel bunches.

You're done, admire ugly coat!  Consider whether it's child abuse to make dd wear it...

Not for the faint hearted, here are pics of the finished article!

In the cold light of day, decide to try it on and I really like it!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008 01:02:00 AM by KitschyCoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bobbiknits
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008 05:57:05 PM »

I just wanted to let you know that you have just brightened my day... I'm laughing so hard right now that I'm crying & finding it hard to type.

And I happen to like the "ugly" material you used for the body of the coat...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be an adult, not a kid. Hit the toilet, not the lid.
sarap1979
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008 06:02:41 PM »

Welcome Back! I think it's cute, good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VeggieJess
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008 06:06:01 PM »

I actually really like the coat, and the "ugly" fabric... does that mean I have bad taste?!? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change!

My Lov.li
http://lov.li/users/4607
KitschyCoo
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008 06:12:22 PM »

Thanks guys!  I secretly like the ugly coat too... just as well, I have 15 yds of that fabric!  I see ugly dresses and trousers in my future Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008 06:15:18 PM »

Awww...so cute!
RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
Jeenome

Too many ideas too little time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008 06:23:36 PM »

HAHAHA That is too funny. It is cute in a garish sort of way. Wink Sorry it was so mean to you.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MAYELA
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008 06:27:47 PM »

Great job, I loooooooooove the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008 06:29:01 PM »

Thank you for telling the sordid truth behind crafting!  If you've done enough of any craft you've had experiences like this.  The coat looks like it's the right size for a child young enough that she can probably wear anything clean and be adorable!  I agree with those that think the fabric is not ugly, but think it would be better on larger scale items - like mommy-sized skirt, or even a jacket!  I think it'd make a terrific trench that would probably be not too hard with the right pattern.  Ahem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008 06:53:55 PM »

I kinda like the fabric, does that make me crazy? LOL. In fact, I pretty much LOVE the fabric- though not necessarily for a coat... but I think its cute! Smiley

Also- your "tute" cracked me up... maybe you should show us all how to make some slacks next?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...