A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Like a halter - but not?  (Read 1252 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twylag
« on: August 04, 2008 03:54:20 PM »

Ok I have always admired the front "look" of a halter top  eg., link to a cute halter ... I just can't stand the bralessness of it and the horrid pull on my neck of the straps from a too ample chest with not enough support in the halter.  SO I am kind of wondering how you could achieve that front look and still be able to wear a bra and have the back be totally different.  You know what I mean?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008 07:15:44 PM »

Well, you could look for/ modify a pattern so that it has a much higher back portion, allowing for a good strapless underneath.

You could look for patterns that have a narrow back so you could sneak a racerback bra underneath.

You could build a summery top right onto a bra (permanently).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twylag
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008 05:54:45 AM »

I would like to be able to wear a strapless, but I just can't wear one.  Thats why I thought of modifying the back to cover for straps, you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008 06:41:42 AM »

I went looking for a dress pattern after I posted that, is was an old Vogue dress with a single central strap? in the center of the back that spread out as it went down toward the bustline (a big triangle pointed up) but aparently the pattern is discontinued. :/ That's what I had in mind when I was posting, sorry I couldn't show you a picture.

Having a visual memory is a p.i.t.a. sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirtydarkdiva
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008 12:38:57 PM »

The halter you linked too could be done as a racer back tank of sorts. Instead of looping behind the neck, bring the straps the back, twist then attach to back panel of top, either in one big strap down the back(keep twisting downward, then attach), or in a big X design by twisting only in the middle then attaching like a tank. Either way would be very cute and allow you to wear either a regular bra or racer back style. I find halters are VERY flattering for bigger girls or larger busted girls. That particular style youve chosen is especially flattering and supportive. I wish I could draw you a picture of what I've described here, hopefully you get the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twylag
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008 06:04:27 AM »

hmmm .. lots of ideas here.  I am going to sketch something up and ask another question about it in a little while (after work)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kristen81
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008 12:15:21 AM »

I like the look of a halter as well but can't stand the "pain in the neck".  I usually take the straps and cross them in the back. 

I can usually take the existing straps and just cross them and attach them to the back (if the existing straps are long enough).  I can wear a real bra this way....if I wear my convertible one.

It usually helps to put the top on and have someone else cross the straps in the back for you (and pin in place where you will sew), this way they can make sure your bra straps are covered. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
Devierue
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008 06:30:14 PM »

I like the look of a halter as well but can't stand the "pain in the neck".  I usually take the straps and cross them in the back. 

Something that anyone out there might want to keep in mind with halter tops that they already own:

A quick fix is to fold the neck strap and tie it off with a rubber band/hair tie...essentially putting your halter top in a pony tail. Admittedly, it does look like an odd tag back there at times, but not only does is relieve a lot of the pressure on your neck, but also gives the chest a little boost. We boobalicious girls need all the help we can get when going braless.

Sorry that it's not much help to the actual craft...but I'd hate to see someone mess up a halter they loved if this will help them. I didn't think it would make much of a difference, but when I did it - instant pressure relief, and the brewing headache vanished. Success enough for me!

Ooh! And racer backs make my heart sing. So comfy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jlelliott
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008 09:51:09 AM »

What about one of those bras where the straps can change configurations? I have one that you can convert to a halter-top style and it well, much better than a strapless alone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenny5234
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008 12:18:54 PM »

i agree i love the idea of the halter bra. or 6 in one type bras with removable straps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 19/19
How to Crochet Leaves Part 5/6
How to Crochet Leaves Part 4/6
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 10/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 1/19
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...