A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
790 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: RAWR GODZILLA RETURNS.... IN HOODIE FORM! now with TUTE!  (Read 3856 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jilltheimpossible
« on: August 04, 2008 02:27:56 PM »

so im stuck in the house all day because some tropical storm is headed this way.  so whats a girl to do with all this free time on her hands! sew of course! i took this awesome godzilla shirt i found at a comic shop and turned it into a hoodie. i got the idea of the spikes from http://crunchymuffins.livejournal.com/3535.html

Before:

After:

i think its a tad bit small:( but hopefully itll hold up when i wear it. i was thinking of adding some pockets to the front. yes? no? any suggestions? it seems like something's missing...

***UPDATE***
alrighty, i had a request for a tute so i thought i'd throw one together. it's very...thorough, but if you already know how to make a hoody you can skip most of this tutorial until you get to the hood-making part. alright here goes...

so this is what i started out with:

one shirt (XL, i didnt have to trim it down that much and im a size S) tape measure(optional if you like to eyeball things) hood lining, cuffs, and spike material was all done with the same color about 1 yard should do it. and one yard of whatever you want your sleeves to be.

first, i turned the shirt inside out and trimmed it down a little, but i really didnt need to trim much!

then i took the sleeve material and made some sleeves. i used the sleeve of an old t-shirt to guide me with it, then just eyeballed the length i wanted it to be. they should look like this:

then i took the cuff/hood liining material to make cuffs. these are the same length as the narrow part of the sleeve and about 2 inches wide.

so then you fold your cuffs in half and just sew them right onto the end of the sleeve and sew up the sides of the sleeve like so:

now this is the part that takes some patience. attaching the sleeves. make sure the shirt is inside out and tuck the sleeve through one of the arm holes. the sleeve does NOT need to be inside out. it should look like so:

pin the sleeve all the way around the arm hole, if it makes you more comfortable. i didnt use pins, but then again...im crazy. now sew it on. take your time because it can get a little frustrating. if there is any extra room in the arm hole, just sew it up like you did when you resized the shirt earlier.

now do the other sleeve.
turn your shirt right side out and it should look like this:

ok, now cut your shirt right down the center of the front. i wanted my image on the back, so i just flipped the shirt over and used the backside as the front. i also cut off part of the collar in the front for the neckline. now measure the neckline and that will be the length of the base of your hood.
now get out your hood fabric, and hood lining fabric. i used black and the same suede material from the cuffs. put the fabrics on top over one another so the shapes turn out the same size. cut your neckline measurement in half and use that as the length for the bottom of your hood. my neckline was 24 inches, so each piece was 12-13 inches long. make the rest of the hood whatever size you prefer. i like mine big:) you should get something like this:

now place one of the lining pieces ontop of the hood pieces and sew them together so it looks like one pices with a different color on each side like this:

now lay those aside while we make the spikes.
you can make as many spikes as you want and whatever size you want. you'll want to draw them quite a bit bigger than they will look on your hood, because of seam allowance and stuffing. this is the general shape they should be. the big ones are about 4 inches high and the little ones are about 2.5 inches high.

once again, fold the fabric over so the pieces come out the same size and shape when you cut them

cut them all out and sew the angled sides together, leaving the bottom open for stuffing.

stuff it as much as you can so that they dont flop to the side when you're wearing the hood up.

ok, now go back to your two pieces of hood and position the spike how you want them.

sew them on, with the the spike positioned between the two hood pieces.

TADA! SPIKES!

now just attach the hood to the neckline and add the zipper and you're good to go!
i used a 22 inch sport zipper, it comes with instructions on how to attach it if you havent done zippers before. but they're pretty simple.
i hope this tutorial was helpful to someone and thanks for looking!

if any part of this is unclear or if there are any questions ill be happy to answer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008 11:41:51 PM by jilltheimpossible » THIS ROCKS   Logged

moneychangeseverything
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008 03:12:34 PM »

awesome!
i won't add anything else to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zenthistle
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008 04:02:48 PM »

I think that is awesome...  maybey make a little japan flag for the pocket...  I  love the spikes on the hood...

And I think that is the most awesome back...  yup way cool...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VirgoAnna
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008 04:05:26 PM »

THAT is a damn good recon.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Some things you lose, some things you give away"

-Sleater Kinney
cigarettesandvalentines
Red ships of Spain!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008 05:35:12 PM »

WIN.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Someone has to go back and get a shitload of dimes."

Personal Swaps? Love 'em! Drop me a PM

etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/historystuffed

http://hamiltonsstupidhat.blogspot.com/
jilltheimpossible
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008 07:22:09 PM »

woot! thanks for the love everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachelKristin
rude crude & tattooed

Vulgarity is my specialty

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008 07:29:16 PM »

that is so rad! nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Tumblr page
http://rachelkristin.tumblr.com/

Check out my Etsy store to purchase some of my work!
http://rachelmckay.etsy.com

Do you Twitter? Follow me!
http://twitter.com/JigsawYouth

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelmckay/
SourApple
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008 08:23:30 PM »

that is fantabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishfacewannabe
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008 01:04:57 AM »

That's so cute!! I LOVE the hood detail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weirdgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008 07:14:36 PM »

Oh oh oh there little lady that's one piece of amazing art! i don't know what it is but anything dino or or spiked hoodie related just shivers me timbers!!!! GOLD STAR FORRRRRRR U!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gotta catch em' all.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Unconventional Cropping
How to Create Rembrandt Lighting
How to Create Backlight Photography
How to Use a Ringflash
How to Interact with model in photo shoot
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...