A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
791 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sew my own wedding dress? Am I crazy? NEW MUSLIN on page 8!  (Read 32778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mirthgoddess
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009 07:14:10 PM »

I started this thread a while back. I wasn't sure if I should take on the making of my wedding dress. I asked for advice. I made a test muslin. Wasn't sure about it. Put it away.

I decided to alter it with a new bodice. Liked it alot. But, then, I wasn't sure again. I decided to just forget about making my dress and buy one. 

I went to David's with my mom and one of my bridesmaids. I tried on close to 20 dresses. There were a couple that I liked, but I wasnt ready to buy. None was exactly right.

The very next day, there was an email from Butterick's in my inbox, with their new patterns for spring. And there I saw a pattern of a dress that was very similar to one of my favorites from David's---only better. I thought it was a weird coincidence and emailed it to my mom. "Are you going to make it?" she asked.

But I wasn't sure.

Two days after that, I got another Butterick email saying their patterns were on sale.

So, sucker that I am, I purchased it. I just finished the first test muslin.

Here's the pattern:
I am going to make the front one, with a lace overlay and sash. I plan to get an antique brooch for the front center. Smiley

Will I go through with this one? I think so. I hope so. As of now I plan to.

Here it is, without further ado....

Front walking (with a makeshift bouquet prop):

Back view:

Quick! Turn before the webcam goes off!

Closer shot of the front (you can see a couple of the things that need adjusting in this photo):

Sorry for the long post, and I hope this wedding gown soap opera keeps some of you intrigued!  Wink

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009 07:14:57 PM by mirthgoddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chanemza
Your temper brings dishonor to my happy mushu palace.

Chick of The Sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009 07:44:43 PM »

I really like this one, it suits you well.  And as an aside, I love the ribbon/flowers headband idea.  I don't think it's too white for you heair at all.  It looks great!  I think the total look will be gorgeous and that you should go with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heyitzme37
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2009 08:28:54 AM »

Gotta say I love that dress and below is why.  Please excuse the not so good picture.  Plus I need different shoes.  I'm getting married July 18 in a refurbished barn and I wanted something nice but simple.  To me lace was the ticket but I preferred a tea length dress simply because of the setting.  Well, I found this online at David's Bridal for only $149 so I ordered it.  It's funny that it's just like your pattern except short but it has the sash and I'm using a pearl broach from my grandma on the sash.  Good luck with your dress.  I would have loved to make mine but I'm not much of a sewer and my mom wasn't up to trying to fit something.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirthgoddess
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2009 08:17:24 AM »

heyitzme37: One of the dresses I tried on at David's was just like yours only long. That's the one I believe this pattern may have been based on. I really like yours in the shorter length as well! It looks great on you! Congratulations!

Thanks, chanemza. The jury is still out on the headpiece though. I will probably make a few more between now and then. (I have until October.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oxyx
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2009 10:26:43 PM »

I really love the 2nd one myself.
They are all beautiful
I am just more prone to like the ones that are not strapless.
I'm so back and fourth with that though too.... I just don't know what I honestly like i guess

I wish that I was good enough to sew my own dress... if I did attempt it I probably wouldn't even have the test run done by the time my wedding came up.

Good luck Smiley
If you plan on embellishing it like the ones at David's Bridal, they told me that they use the sworofski crystals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caeebe
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2009 12:50:03 PM »

I love the recent dress you've chosen.  It is a great shape and isn't too hard.  I haven't read the previous 8 pages so I'd love it if you humor me and answer my questions.  Are you an experienced seamstress?  How much experience do you suggest for making the pattern you are doing.  Do you think the materials are going to be expensive (most lace I've seen is expensive)?  I can't wait to see the finished project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laura_J
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2009 03:53:00 PM »

I also have not read all the previous posts, but I do think your current muslin looks pretty good, just needs a little adjustment in the bodice. No you're not crazy.
Once your muslin is good, it should be simple to complete your dress. It is going to be beautiful and I cannot wait to see the finished pictures.
I have volunteered to make my sister her wedding dress (12/09). I'm using Vogue 1095, but altering the top to match another dress she found online.
The recent Vogue pattern magazine for April 09 has an article on working with laces and explains some of the different types. The magazine only runs 4.95, and the info was good.
LauraJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aubreydawn
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2010 09:40:24 PM »

I've been looking at this pattern too. Not sure if this is what I'll be doing or not...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 <3 Aubrey
snips and snails
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2010 11:25:34 AM »

1.) You're not crazy.
2.) It looks like you've got a pretty good handle on what you need to change on your muslin test run (which looks awesome, btw)
3.) For some reason, I don't like David's Bridal... I don't know where you live, but, if you're ever trying on bridal gowns again, check if you have a House of Brides in your area.
4.) This is inspiring, and you're doing a great job. I can't wait to see what you end up with!!

=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brandy062191
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2010 09:51:37 AM »

worth a shot
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Chibi
How to Sketch Anime Faces
How to Choose Inks
How to Write Neatly in Calligraphy
How to Design Anime Hair for Boys
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...