A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sew my own wedding dress? Am I crazy? NEW MUSLIN on page 8!  (Read 31215 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2008 08:26:03 PM »

Gosh the muslin alone is beautiful! I think it's going to be breath taking when it's done in the "real" fabric. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pino_i
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2008 11:54:26 PM »

its coming out beautiful. I can't wait to see it all done.  Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirthgoddess
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2008 09:59:35 AM »

So I sewed the skirt and bodice of the muslin together this morning, and put in a zipper. Here are some pics of me wearing it!

One of the problems I see so far, which I will have to adjust, is that the shoulders are a little too big for me and keep slipping off. I will have to find an undergarment that will support me but not show in the back. Also I'm going to have to figure out how to bustle the train for the reception.

Back:

Front with slipping shoulders:

Side view (in this one you can kind of see the boxers I'm wearing underneath)  Wink :

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaiser Scissorhands

Why am I sticky & naked? Did I miss something fun?

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2008 10:03:16 AM »

It looks like you're good to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Living dangerously.
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2008 10:58:56 AM »

I think that its going to be LOVELY! It has a great silhouette to it. Wonderful lines, very flattering. Can't wait to see more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
HeartOn
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2008 02:22:00 PM »

It is looking amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pino_i
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2008 03:31:27 PM »

WOW your doing great.  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2008 07:39:32 PM »

If you can't fix the shoulders, maybe you could use that double-sided "fashion tape" so they won't slip anymore. They don't look like they're that much too big, so it seems like that would work. It looks great, and I still love the back! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
Melazdee
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2008 06:20:44 AM »

Don't know when you're wedding is, but the shoulders for my SIL's wedding dress were similar to yours (except long sleeve so maybe carried a bit more weight) and they kept slipping off too. She used the fashion tape to stick it on but her wedding was in the middle of summer and the sweat didn't really work too well with it and it kept slipping off anyways...so that would be something to consider, probably not a huge deal for you since your sleeves are short and especially if the wedding isn't in summer or you don't sweat a lot, but something to keep in mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you love it, its perfect"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/melazdee
mirthgoddess
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2008 11:51:39 AM »

So I had the muslin I showed you last week on a dress form in my living room where I could see it every day. The back was beautiful, but I wasn't so sure about the front. And I want to wear my hair down for my wedding, so would the back even matter?  Also, I worried about the empire waistline. I wanted something more fitted throughout the middle. I thought maybe I would can the idea of making my own dress and just buy one.

I took the muslin off the dress form, folded it up, and put it aside.

Then last night, as I was watching TV, I was thinking about it. I remembered another Vogue pattern (#8446) I bought a while back but haven't yet gotten around to making. I bought it because I loved the glamorous vintage-y feel of the bodice. So, why not take that bodice and give it a dramatic skirt with a train?

I cut out the bodice pattern and whipped it up in the muslin. I ripped out the zipper of the first muslin, and separated the skirt from the first bodice. Today I sewed the skirt to the new bodice. I like this alot more! It defines my waist more. The back of the bodice is no longer dramatic, but the front is just so much prettier now. I like the neckline and the unique shoulders much more than the first dress. And besides, aside from the actual ceremony, when i'll probably be turned to the side to face my fiance, is anyone really going to be noticing the back?

So, now that you've read that long story, here is the new muslin... (try to ignore the fact that I accidentally put the shoulder seams on the outside of the bodice! oops! And know that I didnt take the time to line the bodice of the muslin; it would've fit better and not shown my bra! if I had lined it)

Front on dress form:

Glamorous neckline:

Defined waist:

Side shot:

Back trying a blue sash:

Sash tied in the front:

Sexy with a sash:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008 12:06:03 PM by mirthgoddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Twilight of Avalon Book Trailer
Kevin Davies Talks About The $1000 Genome
Meet Author Sheila Weller
Max Watman Talks About Chasing the White Dog
Andrew Clements Discusses His Own Qualities
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...