A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sew my own wedding dress? Am I crazy? NEW MUSLIN on page 8!  (Read 32192 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cinderwench
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008 07:45:11 AM »

I made my wedding outfit, and a wedding dress for a friend. You can do this dress. The hardest parts will be fitting the back, since it's essentially backless, so do a practice one, and doing all the silly little buttons down the back, because I hate making cording. However, I think you can buy pre-made in bridal departments of fabric stores. You can skip the buttons and use an invisible zipper, if you want.

Definitely check out this website and others for tips, and check the library and bookstores for special books on making bridal attire.

Finally, it looks like you're going to need a fairly poufy petticoat, so allow time to make that as well, if necessary.

Best wishes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13 NIV
HeartOn
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008 08:25:40 AM »

The bust form is a great idea!

I made mine out of duct tape and it does not take long if you have a little help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirthgoddess
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008 09:02:52 AM »

I do have a vintage dress form; it has helped with other projects to see how the fabric lays on a body.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008 09:07:37 AM by mirthgoddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jancola
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008 11:17:14 AM »

The pattern you have found is lovely, and doesn't look too complicated.  But as someone mentioned, nice lace is very expensive and can be difficult to work with.   And you will probably want to get the nicest satin you can find, which will be pricey as well.  Still, probably cheaper than buying a nice dress, especially since you also will not have to pay for alterations.

The difficulty with commercial wedding dresses, as you probably know, is that you usually have to order them in advance so if you do decide to give up on making your dress, you need to find a replacement in time to order it.  A few years ago, I bought my dress at this store, and yes it is the cheesiest web site ever, but they have crazy deals on dress samples in stock so if you run out of time or energy and just need a good cheap dress fast, I recommend it as a backup.  They have a lot of non-strapless dresses.  Also David's Bridal has some off-the-rack dresses.

You can buy your crinoline (if you want one) on Ebay, you can get great deals, and save some time.   Good luck, and congrats!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SesSpringett
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008 12:41:13 PM »

Congratulations!

I have to say i saw this pattern the other day when browsing through the vogue website (I'm stuck in pre-engagement limbo atm - he's asked my dad but hasn't bought the ring yet and apparently can't propose without it?!) and LOVED it... I'd make it strapless but it's just such a lovely cut. My mom made her dress and though very 70s, still beautiful, and she's also made about 6 ballgowns in the last ten years so I'm hopeful that with my creative flair and her very strict and precise sewing skills we can come up with something beautiful for about £80.

I think you should go for it as long as you have someone competent to help - cos however good you are at sewing, when it comes to making your wedding dress you don't want any extra stress! Good luck, post pictures of your practise run! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the bloggity blog at www.astareal.co.uk
mirthgoddess
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008 07:11:08 AM »

Slight update:
First of all, thank you everyone for your opinions, advice, encouragement and warnings. I received the dress pattern and have looked it over thoroughly. I'm excited because the construction looks fairly easy, and I definitely feel like I can tackle it and succeed!

One modification question (and maybe I should put this in the sewing discussion thread): I am thinking of adding a colored sash at the waistline, probably in whatever shade of blue I decide on as one of my wedding colors (Right now am leaning towards royal blue). I would attach it right where the bodice attaches to the skirt, and would probably tuck the ends under before inserting the zipper, so that it would just define the waist, but not tie or anything. Would this look good with the style of dress?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirthgoddess
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2008 08:34:59 AM »

OK, so last night I started the muslin of my dress. I have only made the bodice so far, but here are some pics of what I've done, as modelled by my dressform.

Front:

back:

front with sleeves added:

back with sleeves:

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008 06:48:58 PM by mirthgoddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2008 09:53:35 PM »

I really love that neckline. What a beautiful dress it is going to be. Good for you for taking this on! Everyone will be amazed and you'll get exactly what you want and quite a memory! Congrats!

Oh, and I think a blue sash would be lovely with this dress. But, this is coming from the girl with the green band and corset added to her wedding dress!!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008 09:54:56 PM by *MAR* » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2008 01:15:32 AM »

Pretty! I don't know why, but I just love the back soooo much. You've just <i>got</i> to wear your hair up to showcase it Smiley Oh, I just looked at the pattern, and I love the back even more! I love covered buttons on bridal gowns. Mine doesn't have any.
I think a sash might look a little funny, but it could just be because I can't picture it. This is a mockup though; why not try it on this dress and if you don't like it, you can scrap the idea when you do the real thing?
Anyways, good job so far. You know none of us can wait for more pics Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
mirthgoddess
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008 07:41:09 PM »

Hey gals!  I put together the skirt of the muslin today. I haven't sewn it to the bodice yet, it's getting late and I don't want to disturb the neighbors upstairs with my machine. But I did pin it in place so that I could see how it looks, and so I could post pictures to show you all...

So, here it is.

So far I'm loving it. Smiley And of course it will look better when it's in a sturdier fabric.

Messy apartment, sorry!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008 07:42:06 PM by mirthgoddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sundance Style Recap: How to Get Cold-Weather Chic
3 Ways to Style Leggings
How to Get the Coco Chanel Look
How to Wear the Neon Trend
How to Get Golden Globe Looks for Less
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...