A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Country Doesn't Have That Round 11 Gallery  (Read 5312 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 04, 2008 09:32:03 AM »

Here it is!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Foxlet

Mad scientist in the making

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008 12:41:19 PM »

I received a gigantic package from my fantastic partner longtimegeek, who lives in Colorado!

I seriously scored. I found the package waiting for me in the morning when I got up, and nearly sprained something lifting the thing off the floor. Cheesy (The pictures are sort of terrible. Sorry about that. Click for bigger and all that jazz.)

Here's everything, packed in v. neatly.

A fantastic button bracelet! It's a good size - I can get it on pretty easily but it doesn't fall off over my teeny tiny hand.

Prettiest necklace ever! It's got a gold wire nest, three darling little eggs and two swallows. I put it on immediately for the action shot, and haven't taken it off since. Absolutely love it!

A positively stunning steampunky tape measure! My old one was falling apart, so this immediately made its way to my notions bag.

Two bookmarks, with ridiculously cute embroidery and button flowers! The reverse sides have coordinating polka dot fabric.

Buttons! These joined my collection of random buttons immediately.

Treats. Some Caramel and Spice Apple Cider drink mix, which I haven't tried yet but will tomorrow, seriously weird chilli cracker things, and jelly beans! I adore jelly beans, but can't find them anywhere from some strange reason.

Barbecue sauce, more jelly beans, and this plastic bracelet thing against "wrist violence". Wink (Stephen Colbert isn't terribly well-known here, I don't think his show broadcasts anywhere. I've heard of him, though. [Conan O'Brien, on the other hand, is HUGE 'round these parts. I'm more into British comedy myself, I have to admit.])

Postcards and brochures from her area. One of the postcards has flower seeds in it! (Incidentally, I've heard of Estes before, but only because there's a fibre festival there every year. Cheesy )

Local newspapers, and a seriously hilarious knitting magazine from the 80's! I laughed so hard at that. (I swear my mum had one of those sweaters. She wore it, too - you can see it in some of my baby pictures.)

Two touristy magazines.

Aaaand THREE packages of different kinds of Shrinky Dinks, as well as some Sharpies! I can't wait to try these out!

Thank you so much, longtimegeek! I love everything to bits! Hope your package arrives soon, and that you'll like everything.

(I really need to lay off the exclamation marks and the parentheses.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog ; Ravelry ; Wists ; Twitter

I play the web.

Personal swap friendly!
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008 01:04:12 PM »

Wow - that was a fantastic package to start off with!  The bar's been set pretty high! Cheesy

I love the nest necklace - that is too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008 01:48:33 PM »

So happy you liked it Foxlet.  It was a seriously fun package to put together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dawn Octopus
I wish I had 8 tentacles.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008 05:32:12 PM »

WOW that was a giant package! That necklace is really pretty Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud pre-adoptive Mother Smiley
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008 08:21:50 PM »

And I have received from Foxlet.  We sent on the same day and got on the same day (Yay!) the only difference is the timezone.  I am blown away by what I received - great job Foxlet !!!

First - just look at this box - I love a mailing box that looks like a present even before you open it !

All of the lovelies inside came with numbers and a guided tour letter -- Foxlet we are geeks of a feather Smiley -- I loved the letter and your special notes, and your stationary is so cute!

First up is a book and figurine that are classic Finnish-Swedish -- I am looking forward to reading it since there is so little about this culture in the US

CANDY !!!!  Licorice of all sorts.  I don't read Finnish, but it seems pretty obvious just by sounding it out what "Mjolkchoklad med SalmiakFyllning" would be especially since the "mjolkchoklad" seems to have melted a bit an made a nice chocolate lump on one end Smiley.  I love the packaging with the black and white check with red --- I see something crafted from this if I can keep the hubby away from it!! (he won't open it carefully Smiley)  And, Foxlet, the allsorts is exactly the kind I like the best...

Yummy, yummy yarn in one of my favorite colors -- the bamboo is soooo smooth and silky that this yarn is going to have to be made up into something very special !

Some ephemera from Finland -

BUT REALLY -- DO THEY HAVE TO BE EVERYWHERE? --- I apologize on behalf of the US and our crap food exports

This is so cool - it is ripstop nylon - such a fantastic idea for the singlet bag, with it's own carrying bag and it has the Helsinki Cathedral on it.  It is from a Finnish craft/culture shop -- wow I wish I could shop there...  The entire bag folds up and fits into the little baglet you see on the side -- just right to pop in my purse !

Foxlet also included a CD of photos which has this same building on it -- the steps seem like the perfect place to sun yourself on a bright summer day!  The reusable bags I made are canvas and can be so bulky -- the ripstop nylon really is a great idea - I think you could probably carry a watermelon in this it is so strong -- I want to use it but it is so lovely that I am not sure I can make myself.... 

Next up is the crochet pattern magazine - it is just the kind of work that I love to do -- fortunately the instructions are in diagrams to go along with the Finnish !

I don't have a picture of the next item since it is just a CD (no photo surprise there) - but it is a collection of Foxlet's photos of Finland with a recorded commentary -- what a great idea!  I would never have thought of a recording but it makes it all so personal to hear your actual voice!  I loved it, especially the part in Finnish -- I do not believe I have ever heard Finnish and it sounds so unlike any languages that I know -- in a strange way there is almost a Polynesian sound to it -- I think it is all of the vowels --- you should really donate some of those vowels to the Polish Smiley

I also got some buttons - of the Finnish Flag (we also have blue in the Colorado flag to represent the blue skies) and the little Swedish girl from my wists.  Note that Foxlet wants me to believe that Santa is really not from Lapland, but I know better. 

And, finally, drum roll please, the piece de resistance - the ultimate - the most amazing thing a swap partner could receive.....

A pair of traditionally patterned Finnish mittens. 

These are absolutely stunning and I really hope that the photo makes that obvious.  Foxlet -- they are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.  It was 95 degrees here today (35C) but I couldn't help putting them on and walking around the house admiring them.  I cannot believe that I will  have to wait months before I can actually wear these. 

And here are some pictures specifically for you so that you can know they are a PERFECT fit.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinyhouse
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008 08:38:47 PM »

Those are so cool!!!  I really love the mittens!  I received my package today, but I'm on vacation until Sunday.  My husband brought it inside, though, and is saving it for me for when I get home.  Ugh, stupid vacation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008 10:06:40 PM »

I'm just stickybeaking my nose in this swap - I was looking at recent pics.

Now this thing:

Mjolkchoklad med SalmiakFyllning

Is that actually really and truly chocolate with a salmiak filling?? I speak no Scandinavian languages, so that was a guessed translation, but if I'm right, it sound DELICIOUS, and I must try to source some for myself.

Thank you. That is all. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
Foxlet

Mad scientist in the making

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008 01:01:42 AM »

Longtimegeek, I'm so happy you like everything! The box has a print by Marimekko, probably our best-known design house. I thought the recording might be fun, because Finnish is indeed sort of a weird language. Swedish and Norwegian sound pretty much exactly alike, and Danish is Swedish with a speech impediment, but Finnish has pretty much nothing in common with either. Cheesy I'm also happy the mittens fit - I had to do a bit of guesswork there.

Kitten Wrangler, it is indeed. That's in Swedish, our other official language. Much easier for foreigners to translate by guessing. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog ; Ravelry ; Wists ; Twitter

I play the web.

Personal swap friendly!
lovelyislacey
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008 06:40:51 AM »

Here is my package from Dawn Octopus

Everything is so great. She made me a recipe book with local recipes and a US necklace. She sent candy but we ate it all yesterday so its not pictured here lol. There are some cute note pads and one of my favorite things she sent are the colorful measuring spoons. I love them. I wont list everything she sent you can see it for yourself Cheesy Here is the pic

Thanks so much Dawn Octopus. I cant wait for you to get your package and I hope you like everything Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Bagels With Three Fillings
How to Cook Jambalaya
How to Cook Salt Beef
How to Bake Homemade Bagels
How to Do Homemade Delicious Hamburger
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...