A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: Server Slowness Be Gone! 2/16/05  (Read 5456 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005 02:22:02 PM »

I hope the improvements didn't set you back too much. I trust advertising covered it, but you know, if we need another big upgrade I'm sure some of us 20,000+ would be willing to shell out a dollar or two from our thrift store stash to pitch in. Smiley

yeah, i was thinking about that too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005 04:44:50 PM »

It's nice to hear that!  I'm toying with the idea of letting people donate if they want to.  But it's a wierd thing to think about.  I never thought about having to have Craftster bring in money when I started it.  But the amount of money and more importantly -- time -- I put into it have me thinking that at some point, I'll have to bring in more than just the ad money.  If I do this, it will be totally 100% optional because I know that everyone has different budget situations!

I hope the improvements didn't set you back too much. I trust advertising covered it, but you know, if we need another big upgrade I'm sure some of us 20,000+ would be willing to shell out a dollar or two from our thrift store stash to pitch in. Smiley

yeah, i was thinking about that too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005 10:11:26 PM »

The boards have definately got a lot snappier, speed wise, and it's great!  Thanks so much!

If you're not sure about having people just donate, you could probably find more than a couple craftsters who would donate a couple downloadable original patterns for things that you could put behind a password protected area for everyone who "donates" $2 or something, as a thank you.  Eg. a couple embroidery patterns, a small cross-stitch pattern, a knitting or crochet pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolo
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005 08:31:13 PM »

Thank you so, so much.  You're such a thoughtful admin, and we all really appreciate all the things you do (seen and unseen) to make craftster so wonderful.

I WHOLLY support you adding a donation feature.  Even if it is something simple, like a small paypal link.  I know that I would definitely donate whenever I am able, and I'm sure that a lot of my fellow craftsters feel the same way.  You provide a wonderful place for us to inspire and be inspired; I doubt I'm the only one who would love to help keep craftster going strong!

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005 09:10:46 PM »

I could probably say this every day and still mean it, but Leah, you rock!  Grin

I know that a while ago the idea was batted around (for pages and pages and pages...) of having special "premium" features...  but that also means a lot more work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005 07:16:29 AM »

Yeah ... premium features sound like a good idea but I strongly feel that I don't want to take away any features from people who don't donate.

I think we all -- whether you donate or not -- need to be able to post and reply and search, etc. etc. in order for Craftster to work well.

So any "premium feature" would have to be something totally extra.  I can't think of what that might be!  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QueenofSwords

marty marty bo barty, bo-nana fana fo...uh oh....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005 10:48:02 AM »

So any "premium feature" would have to be something totally extra.  I can't think of what that might be!  Huh

I liked the idea of a free donated pattern.  I know that would be tricky because not everyone does whatever the pattern might be for, but what about access to a small pattern library?  People who wanted to donate a pattern to the good of Craftster could archive them, and a donation would buy you access to the archive.  There would still be lots of tutorials and patterns on the boards, but it would just be a little extra.

Marty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yo, ye pharaohs! Let us walk through this barren desert, in search of truth, and some pointy boots, and maybe a few snack crackers.
mayerlove
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005 11:03:46 AM »

i like the idea of the pattern library. Smiley and i also feel the premium feature should be something extremely extra.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005 01:25:57 PM »

Blech.  I'm noticing that Craftster is getting slow again at peak times.  Crapola. Sad

There are probably more optimizations I can make on the software end of things.  And failing that, I'll probably have to move up to a more powerful server.

Rest assured that I will solve this somehow!  So hang in there guys!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

purplerose
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2005 03:55:37 PM »

Leah, I think you're doing a great job.  I think it's definitely faster than it was, so thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dry Apple Slices for Crafts
How to Ebonize Wood
How to Embroider a Towel
How to Embroider Pillows
How to Dry Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...