A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Acid Dyes in a Crock Pot?  (Read 2163 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shootingstar
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008 12:54:17 PM »

This was on the cooking board a couple months ago...  I haven't tried it yet, but it has some good ideas and links.  Very easy to do, it sounds like.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=253764.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lord, show me your ways. Teach me how to follow you.  Guide me in your truth. Teach me. You are God my Savior.  I put my hope in you all day long.
-Psalm 25:4-5

PM me if you want to swap!  I need some stitch markers...

Finally got one...
http://www.wists.com/shootingstar320
the_bees_knees

Artist, Illustrator, & Maker Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008 02:23:01 PM »

Wow, that's incredible! Thanks for the link!

Can anyone tell me: When using the solar cooker (or the crock pot, for that matter) for handpainted rovings (that are wrapped in cellophane), do I still need to put some water in the bottom for steam? It seems like it should work more like the microwave method, which, if I understand it correctly, doesn't require that bit of water in the bottom.

If I tried it in my crock pot with no water, what's the worst that could happen? I'm learning on cheap mill ends, so ruined wool is no big deal to me.

And, thanks to all your help, I did manage to get my first batch of wool nicely dyed.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

athenaknits?
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008 02:27:49 PM »

I was looking at acid dyes earlier and kept wondering how I'd "cook" the yarn/ fabric with the dye and I must say I love the idea of the crock pot and especially the solar cooker, nothing beats free heat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Apulia
Wannabe professional

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008 03:40:29 PM »

Can anyone tell me: When using the solar cooker (or the crock pot, for that matter) for handpainted rovings (that are wrapped in cellophane), do I still need to put some water in the bottom for steam? It seems like it should work more like the microwave method, which, if I understand it correctly, doesn't require that bit of water in the bottom.

If I tried it in my crock pot with no water, what's the worst that could happen? I'm learning on cheap mill ends, so ruined wool is no big deal to me.

Ruined wool may be no big deal, but without the water, you'll short circuit your crock pot and then it won't work any more!  From a crock pot cooking pov, you should never turn it on without it being roughly 1/3 full of liquid.  This is because of how most of the elements are set up in them.  Don't worry, the liquid won't simmer like it would on the stove, so your fibre shouldn't felt, but it gets sufficiently hot for a sufficiently long period of time that it will set the dye.  You may need to set a plate or something on top of the cellophane wrapped fibre so that it stays submersed in the hot water though.

With a solar cooker, I don't think you would need the water, because it would be like baking a fish in aluminium foil, it would stew in it's own juice so to speak.

Let me know how you go, I've never tried tried dying either way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time and tide and newly dyed fleece wait for no-one.
the_bees_knees

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008 03:48:56 PM »

Apulia: That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I basically didn't want to set my apartment on fire (the landlady frowns on that, for some reason), and I didn't want to ruin the crock pot. I had the same thoughts on solar cooking. It's definitely too rainy here right now to try it, but I will see what I can do once the sun comes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008 04:36:11 AM »

when people say that its best not to use the same utensils or pots again when using acid dyes( i am using kool aid, vinegar+ food dye, fresh fruit+food dye-havnt tested yet) do they mean when they heat set the fiber that the color from the dye just makes the stuff colorful and leaves a stain/residue of the color and best not to use it; or is there something in the sheep or whatever fiber you are using, that contains lanolin or sheepy taste/smell that people are advising not to use the same one for food for that reason? i am currently just wrapping it up in some plastic wrap and then sticking it at the steamer until its done and wash it in the sink when done, i used to solar dye with a medium pickle jar but it didn't dye as well so i wont be using that without a solar reflector :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shootingstar
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008 09:10:40 AM »

I believe...  and correct me if I'm wrong...  that they're talking about acid dyes.  The acid dyes won't come out of whatever pot/pan you're using and is very harmful if eaten.  But I've never used them, that's just what I've been reading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lord, show me your ways. Teach me how to follow you.  Guide me in your truth. Teach me. You are God my Savior.  I put my hope in you all day long.
-Psalm 25:4-5

PM me if you want to swap!  I need some stitch markers...

Finally got one...
http://www.wists.com/shootingstar320
the_bees_knees

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008 10:12:08 AM »

I'm no authority either, but I'm pretty sure it's just the acid dyes as well. The pigments used to make them can be highly toxic, just like with many types of paints. Food coloring is not toxic, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Climbing Mt. Everest
Two Foot Fred Autobiography Trailer
Author Zeke Pipher on Finding Balance
Signed by Zelda Book Trailer
John Benjamin Hickey on Narrating In One Person
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...