A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alternative flooring  (Read 1366 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shesme
« on: August 02, 2008 07:08:11 PM »

Hi -
First of all I must confess.....
I've been a lurker for a number of years....
I think the reason I never signed on was because I knew I would spend even more time on here than I already do! But I finally gave in to my own pressures and now I am official. Everyone here has so many great ideas - I had to get in on all the fun.

My first question is about flooring-
Last weekend I made a visit to The Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI.
Something in the "Noah Webster" House (The dictionary guy) caught my eye.
I guess you would call it either carpeting or a floor cover - but the whole floor of the room was covered in squares of wool fabric with circles of wool hand sewn onto the squares - it was beautiful! After seeing that - it reminded me of a tv show that featured a house that had leather flooring - again it was beautiful. Sooooo - I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any type of alternative flooring - something other than carpeting, wood, tile or laminate. I am hoping to get an idea of what I need to do and/or not do - before I take on this challenge.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice! 
carol

THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008 10:52:00 PM »

that sounds interesting, like an applique carpet! 

You might have to put a backing on it, so it doesn't all crumple up and migrate to one corner--you can get mesh rug pads; sewing one of those on the back might work.

Post a picture if you do it, it sounds cool.

Lee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gogofurniture
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008 02:09:42 AM »

Hello Carol,
Your find is indeed interesting and what you've seen is something that had been quite popular in the past but became obsolete owing to the expenses involved, but now-a-days with people craving for something new, this concept is back into reckoning. Here is an interesting link which might enhance your knowledge on flooring:
http://interiordec.about.com/od/flooring/Interior_Flooring.htm

Hope this helps..

Tom
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myclouds
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011 05:46:39 PM »

I work at Greenfield Village in the Noah Webster home. I think you are talking about the penny rug. Mrs. Webster and her girls would quilt those pieces together, sometimes they would be used as table runners or other decorations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tracer11
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011 09:21:12 AM »

Hi there, I did my bathrm floor with torn pieces of brown paper bags. First i sanded the linoleum floor, than primed it, then tore round pieces of brown paper bags and applied wall paper glue. Let dry and applied stain and and poly sealers. Did a couple of coats of sealer. It looks like leather. I also did an old formica table the same way. Get lots of compliments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steveshapiro

There's no substitute for true style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011 06:19:24 PM »

I wish you had taken a picture, that sounds really unique!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing broadcasts competence and success quite like designer modern decor.
steiconi
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011 08:52:25 PM »

We finally ripped the carpet out of our bedrooms and painted the floors.  Sanded and primed, then used porch and floor paint; it's holding up pretty well.

But the BEST floor is the office; we got a large map (about 3 feet wide) of our island and decoupaged it to the painted floor using floor-grade verathane.  Then we gave it three coats of the verathane to protect it, making each coat extend a little further out from the edge of the map so it's like the water getting deeper and deeper (it's shinier than the floor paint).  Looks great, and we get our exercise walking across the island every day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set the Timer Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Spot Meter Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Shutter Priority Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Image Quality and Resolution in the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Program Mode Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...