A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birthday Rainbow Dino Cake!  (Read 2521 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thekster
« on: August 01, 2008 10:27:14 PM »

Rainbow Birthday Dino Cake

My best friend's 20th birthday coincided with her having to move into a new apartment, and she was kinda sad that she wouldn't get to do anything for her birthday. She requested that I make her a cake anyways, but I decided to make her an awesome cake. I was going to make her a cake in the shape of a couch that said "Real friends help you move" or something but the test cake I made refused to stand up straight so I scrapped that idea and came up with a dino cake since she loves dinosaurs. After that decision, I found this awesome cake http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=258219.0 and incorporated it into my dino cake.
I got the image (to use to carve the cake) from the Wilton website because I couldn't find the dinosaur cake pan in the stores. The sides are really sloppily iced cuz I'm horrible at side-icing.
Also, the light green parts were supposed to be little stars filled in but either my icing was too thin (it was medium consistency buttercream) or my tips are too low quality. I don't know.

Delightful insides!

I also decorated the top of the cake box with sharpies with the image of a robot doing the robot dance (she loves robots too.)

She didn't really make that big of a deal about it, but she and her boyfriend did say that it was, and I quote, "Awesome." And her boyfriend asked why I wasn't working at a bakery haha. AND! She said after the cake is gone, she's putting the cakebox on the mantel as artwork haha Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
xahhitsliz
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008 10:47:39 PM »

i personally do not like cake
but i would kill to have that :]
i love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love.
- Albert Einstein
pino_i
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008 11:18:25 PM »

you're such a good friend and an awesome baker. did you ake the icing yourself or already made. that does make a difference in the consistency.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008 11:43:51 PM »

xahhitsliz, thank you Smiley That's quite a compliment, IMO.
Pino, thank you! There were several pieces I was unhappy with but at three in the morning, I just didn't care anymore hah.  Yeah, I made the icing based on Wilton's medium consistency buttercream recipes (1/2 cup Crisco, 1/2 cup butter, vanilla extract and milk, and 4 cups of shifted powerder sugar.) Should I make the thick consistency next time? Also, while we're talking buttercream, whenever I tint them, after they sit for a while, the color isn't fully integrated, even if it was completely beforehand, and stays that way even if you stir it afterwards. Lately, I've been using gel color; it that the problem?

Haha, something I forgot to mention in my original post - this was carved out of two cakes. The first rainbow cake I made using only one box of cake, and it was REALLY dense and thin, maybe just an inch high. I made the new one with 2 mixes and it rose about 3 times bigger than the first cake. I used the small one and stacked it with two pieces on top of each other, filled in with tons of icing to make it level, but a stuck a toothpick in the tail cuz it refused to stay on. I figured I would warn whoever got that piece to be careful, but I completely forgot about it and as luck would have it, my friend got that piece! It was hilarious; she was like "Man, I really hope that's not a nail cuuuuz that's what it feels like."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

pino_i
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008 11:53:18 PM »

I use the gel coloring also and i do have to say that i use a lot of it to get i the true color out of it. Not a pale blue or pink when your looking for red and dark blue. On the icing i don't use milk i use water and thats one of the last things i put in and i do it a tablespoon at a time to get the consistency i need. Thats how i was taught when i took the Wilton classes. Hope that helps. But you did a great job on it. It still turned out GREAT!!!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovefrozenstars
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008 01:45:13 AM »

Your cake is amazing. 
The rainbow on the inside is so great, the colors came out so well.
And your dinosaur looks incredible.  Great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What makes someone go into the arts is their uncanny knack of perceiving the slightest problem as the grandest tragedy."
- Nicky Silver
stuckmachinic
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008 05:13:12 AM »

These rainbow cakes make me always hungry Grin I'd love to taste one. Yours looks very delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

well you're magic he said but don't let it all go to your head
j4j6j
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008 07:36:39 AM »

i would definitely freak out if i had that cake.
it's basically amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008 09:15:38 AM »

Aw thank you so much, everyone! I've already promised to make my fiance a rainbow cake for his birthday (6 months away hah) but I'm hoping he'll forget and be surprised all over Smiley
Stuckmachinic - It was pretty tastey. The first one I made had the consistency of a brownie cuz it didn't rise very much and was very dense; the second one had a lot more batter and was able to rise way more, but was still more dense than a regular white cake (which is what this was, just separated and colored.) I guess it tasted kinda like pound cake in consistency, but a little more moist and a little less dense. Ahhh I dunno.
Pino - I've been using gel too, but only because that's all my mom had for me to steal haha. The recipe for my buttercream is from the Wilton website, and their medium consistency icing calls for milk. I only had 2 % so isn't that like mostly water anyways? I've used regular milk before too and had the same color problem. I add mine at the end too, but I just pour 2 tablespoons or whatever the recipe calls for at once and then stir... Might that be the problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffypants
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008 08:03:46 PM »

So cute! Love how bright your rainbow came out. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Alex Form Madagascar
How to Draw a Leopard
How to Draw the Tooth Fairy
How to Draw a German Shepherd
Bay Area Maker Faire 2012 Tour
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...