A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cupcake decorating suggestions??  (Read 622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LeesaLove
« on: August 01, 2008 09:27:09 AM »

I have to make cupcakes for a party... Hard to refuse a sweet faced 8 yr old boy asking for cupcakes right?

Well he wants chocolate cup cakes with chocolate frosting with something to look like grass... we are adding gummy earth worms to the top,,,,ugh  not crazy colored gummy worms  but brownish reddish gummy Earth Worms  yumm.

I was gonna do devils food cake  chocolate frostinhg then sprinkle with crushed oreos to look like dirt... no go,  he dosen't like oreos.   What??!!  kid dosen't like oreos??
So I said  what abt coconut tinted green for grass??  nope  he is allergic to coconut...
Mom allso asked that I not use sanding sugar  ....
What can I get to look like grass??? on top of chocolate frosting??
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008 09:29:19 AM by LeesaLove » THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008 09:48:41 AM »

you could always use frosting and the star tip to make grass..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Avian Flight
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008 12:09:49 PM »

or you could do a smooth/flat base of chocolate frosting then tint some white frosting green and make it a 2D. Like grass across 1/2 of the cupcake and the worm on the other half.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
PentacleSeven
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008 12:02:28 AM »

I'd tint some icing green and use a grass/hair tip and cover the entire thing in grass. It's super easy to use. Just hold the tip a smidgen above the cupcake, apply pressure to the bag, and release the pressure as you pull up. What's great is that it doesn't have to look perfect and it takes a lot less time than you'd imagine. You can get hair/grass tips at most craft stores that sell cake decorating supplies for less than a buck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

there's no substitute for time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008 12:28:11 AM »

cant you use green sprinkles?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

forcemajeure
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008 07:48:45 AM »

The grass tip makes great looking grass. And props to you for not telling the mom to make 'em her own darn self after all these provisos. Jeez, they're cupcakes - they're not supposed to be healthy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeesaLove
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008 10:37:20 AM »

Thank you for all your suggestions... I  kinda ended up just doing what i wanted to do.  lol

He really didn't want white frosting wanted chocolate, so I tried going green with chocolate frosting that didn't work at all.

I made a few with chcolate frosting & I minced up green licorice whips & mixed with green sprinkles for grass... then topped with half a gummy earth worm.  I will say again the Gummy Earth Worams are gross, I think they were grape flavored? I licked the package one came in, couldn't bring myself to taste the actual candy.

the rest I frosted with chocolte then rolled in oreo crumbs then put a worm on top. I want to make again using coconut as grass, but he is allergic to coconut so I didn't do that this time.

I did other other cup cakes for party that I made a white cake mix with mixed berry sparkling water, added purple (red + blue) food coloring to batter. Frosted with white frosting & used gum drops & M & M's to make flowers. Also added  M&M lady bugs & bees like on the sunflower cupcakes, the girls & mom's at party loved them!!   http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=240213.0

also did some red, white & blue layered batter cupcakes. They were cute, my white layer puffed up so they all had a white bloch in the center  lol  but when cut in half, or with a bite or two taken out of them they looked cute. I did just a dllop of frosting on the dop with a few red, white & blue star sprinkles.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Oil Paint Part 3/3
How to Oil Paint Part 1/3
How to Oil Paint Part 2/3
Chuck Close Explains How He Paints with a Grid
Gale Fulton Ross Interview
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...