A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,156
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Random SCA (medieval/renaissance re-enacting) Stuff - PHOTOS!!  (Read 6215 times)
Tags for this thread: society_for_creative_anachronism  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« on: July 31, 2008 08:58:24 PM »

Soooo.... my DH dragged me into the wonder that is the SCA when we first met. Even proposed to me at my first real "event".  Roll Eyes  I'm still working on expanding our wardrobe (mine first...  Grin ) and here's some photos of the better finished pieces.

First up, my absolute favorite, the Florentine:

The sleeves are removable and the "sash belt" that you can sort of see is actually a cashmere scarf from Venice. It's all wool (skirt guards and trim are velvet), the camica/chemise is a cotton/linen blend that is sooooo friggin' soft (and the fabric store has been sold out of since... *grumble grumble*). The "pattern" was loosely adapted from Patterns of Fashion. Box pleats on the front of the skirt, double box pleats over teh butt.  Roll Eyes

Next, the Italian Renaissance giorna (giornia? I can never remember):

Please excuse the cheesy grin and no makeup. "Camping out" in an Austrian castle is kinda lacking in amenities (like mirrors... lol). Same chemise, and the underdress is wool. Loosely adapted from some Butterick pattern IIRC. It has some fitting issues that I still need to fix.... Anyway, moving on, the giorna is a nifty fan fabric I found at the local fabric store and is actually reversible. The other side is the same fabric in blue (although I still need to finish the trim on that side). The trim is a regular golden color that I have hand sewn small glass pearls and ruby-red diamond-shaped beads onto... it took FOREVER. Plus I miscalculated how many pearls it needed and I seriously have like 12 times as many needed for the project left over. I have fantastical ideas for beaded bodices and full Elizabethan skirts roaming in my head to use them all but dunno if I'll ever gather up the courage to attempt such an endeavor.

This photo shows how LONG the sleeves of the chemise are. I wanted them to be extra poufy and oh-so-Italian but they're a bit more than is practical so I have plans to shorten them in the future. The chemise needs to be redone anyway because while putting it on for another event the ruffling around the neckline snapped (first time doing it and didn't reinforce it as well as I could've)... *sigh*

Moving on, here's a closer photo of the Renaissance as well as my husband's wool tunic:

I made his coif too.  Wink This one is wool with a 100% Italian linen lining. I intended it to be a smidge more upper-class/dressier than his usual stuff and was "showing off the fact that he could afford to LINE his clothing"...  Cheesy In reality, only the sleeves are lined.

Next up, is the corset I'm wearing underneath all that get-up:

It's a *VERY* heavily altered costume pattern (again from Butterick I think... or maybe McCall's) done in 100% Italian linen and corded with hemp. I screwed this thing up so many friggin' times it was unbelievable! To get it ready in time for the Crown Tourney (where these pics were taken) I ended up just folding over extra fabric and sewing it down on the backside rather than taking it apart entirely (yet again!) so it looks extra-incredibly wonky right now. I am pleased to say the grommet holes in the back were all hand-done by moi though. Sorry I don't have a photo of them. It is spiral-laced as well. I plan on doing another one and have relegated franken-corset to the loaner bin.

Enough about the construction though, this is SOOOOO COMFORTABLE. I cannot get over it, seriously. And does a damn good job of keeping the girls in if I do say so myself. The above "feast" photo is rather cleavage-riffic and that's all without a bra underneath like I know some ladies "cheat" with.  Cheesy

Here's another photo of the hubby and some tunics I made:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/2720839103_0d89becb64.jpg?v=0

The white undertunic and blue overtunic are both made by me, everything else is store-bought. I used a REALLY simple pattern that is period but I find I really dislike. Don't get me wrong, it's super easy to put together if you can sew a straight seam, I just prefer more of a "skirt" to it. DH wanted his sleeves that short too. The white is the cotton/linen blend like my chemise and the blue is 100% Italian linen.

Finally, here's the first outfit I made (well no, scratch that, I made a really hideous princess-y lace-y monstrosity for Halloween/RenFaire a few years before). It's another pattern from Butterick/McCall's and so not in ANY way period accurate... lol:

I rather do love the full sleeves and faux bracers though.  Tongue DH's stuff is all store-bought. Come to think on it, I suppose this was actually our first "date".

As an extra tidbit, here's an Elizabethan sweetbag I cross-stitched sometime ago from a pattern in a book:

Thanks for looking.  Kiss
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013 04:37:49 PM by meleriffic - Reason: Changed non-working image to link. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
piaochong
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008 12:40:53 AM »

beautiful stuff! i love the vibrant red of the first dress, and the sweetbag is gorgeous in its historically accurate looking ness! love it! great work on all these pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008 01:37:43 AM »

These are amazing. 
DH and I love going to the local renactment events in SE UK, especially the one at Hestmoneux Castle in the summer.
I'm such a fan of movies depicting the era and if I had my way I'd love to make a dress in the styles you have done.  Though DH would think I was truly mad.

Your work is seriously beautiful.  I love the fact the corset does all the work with out a bra!  Despite that you aren't happy it is "perfect" I think you should be proud of that because corsets are very hard to make and take oodles of patience and determination.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
SkyyAngel
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008 02:11:20 AM »

Thanks for the compliments! The corset is actually REALLY super easy to make. I'm seriously intimidated by true corsetry.

I simply took the pattern (went and looked it up: McCall's 4861 -- I did the top left model and got rid of the side ties) and assembled it like it called for but sewed the channels as shown in the photos. I used my presser foot as a guide so I think they're 1/4". I pulled hemp cord through each channel... started out with 2 strands per channel but that was *really* tight and I had issues, so I switched to just one strand. Sewed the edges down and trimmed leftovers. Added handmade "binding" and hand-did the grommet-holes.

I tried it on often during the process and after I trimmed the hemp I ended up cutting off about 2" off the top and another 2.5" off the backside so it would fit correctly the way I wanted it.

The hemp is great. It provides support but I can still bend and BREATHE! Grin
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008 02:13:36 AM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008 04:48:41 AM »

Fantastic outfits, you look perfect!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alana_kai
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008 05:57:44 AM »

I adore the Italian Renaissance giorna/gionia Grin It looks amazing. The cross-stitch looks wonderful too. It all seems very authentic (well, to my untrained eye at least? Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mysticflower
Madeleine Allcock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008 09:01:15 AM »

I think these costumes are so beautiful. My favourite is the Florentine too! The black detail really brings it to life and the blue sleeves are a brave decision that works so well! You look really pretty wearing them all. Smiley I *love* the Elizabethan bag too, it is a real inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008 09:29:29 AM »

Well, the color decision was from the Florentines themselves. Bright color contrasts did not at all scare them, lol.

As for accurate-ness: The Florentine is the very best. DH's tunics are *very* period as well, which is probably why I hate them, a lot of the men's clothes from that time I dislike aesthetically -- he was in my period (1450-1500ish) but switched back to Crusades (around 1100) without telling me. Now I've threatened to make him some full-on Renaissance court garb complete with full skirt and hose and he's GOING to wear it! Smiley) The Renaissance could use a little work to get it there but I'm happy with the way it is now. The corset styled as it is has *some* period documentation behind it but it just conjecture on many people's parts.

I really do love the Florentine. I hope I'll get to wear it more in the future because it doesn't really get all that cold at most events in Texas. It did fantastic for fall in Austria though!

The *really* ironic thing? All my outfits are Italian but my persona is English! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Morrghan92
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008 12:20:03 PM »

You are doing great! If you want to make him clothes for his period with more flash look up the extant garments of Roger II of Scicily. The Bliaut is a stunning garment on men, and if you do the ones with the split front you can put him in hose. the 12thcentury garb yahoo group is full of wonderful examples of this period, and people. My husband has a persona from this period, and I fell in love with the clothes myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, I am living in the Wrong Century.
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008 01:48:02 PM »

My favorite garment is the Florentine, but all of these things are lovely, including the design on the bag. I do not do cross-stitch or needlepoint myself, but if I did medieval- and Renaissance-inspired designs are definitely the way I'd go; I recently had a Candace Bahouth book from the library, and it had gorgeous stuff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Retro Rockabilly Hair
How to Use Dry Shampoo
How to Do Bright Ombre Tips
How to Do an Easy Side Knot
How to Make Short Hair Trends Work for You
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...