A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: look Ma, no pattern! box pleated? skirt thing?  (Read 1528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beautifulcreature

give me all your shinies, please.

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2008 07:05:59 PM »

i bought fabric. i bought no pattern. i didn't want to make another exactsameasthelast7skirts. i thought i'd add... PLEATS. so. i added... a pleat. and here it is. ok anticlimactic story. the rest of it is that i bought the fabric, started to cut it up, got discouraged, my mom was like honey, pleats are for patterns, gave me consolation, and the pieces and all went into a ziplock baggie for the next 10 months. wish mom was still around so i could show her. not the most spectacular skirt. and i don't really like it now that it's done for many reasons. but by gosh by golly i got it done. so i'm sharing it here.

happy crafting to all and to all a good night
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was happier then with no mindset.
LivingGreen

I am a married feminist.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008 07:25:15 PM »

I love the fabric and I actually really do like the skirt too!  It looks very well made and different, without being too far out there.  I would totally wear that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many threads, not enough time!
beautifulcreature

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008 08:51:00 PM »

i'd wear it too if i were just standing there, not moving, just like in the pic<except i'd pull my shirt down> but the material's a.. i don't know what it is.. a stretchy upholerstery fabric? so it's really heavy, doesn't take the pleat well and once it unpleats it sort of gapes outward and uhm it looks funny. and did i mention the fabric's heavy? and sort of weirdly stiff. except it stretches. yeah. i don't know.  i also didn't match all my seams up right so where side skirt/side skirt and side yoke/side yoke all meet at the intersection of 4 possibilities of seams going wrong.. some of them go wrong.. and it takes alot of ironing to try to tame them into submission.  :/

on the bright side, it does have some stretch so when i flat out ran to try and get coffee before the espresso stand closed there was plenty of stretch and i could do an easy quarter mile in it Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkropers
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008 04:27:51 AM »

I must have picked up your vibes because I've been envisioning a skirt like yours.  I really, really like it.  I was envisioning it in a solid, hadn't progressed to a print yet.

I was thinking about it because I like the smooth-fitting hip band, and the deep pleat.  It has the lines of a straight skirt while standing still and the movability of an A-line so that you can get in and out of the car, sit down in a chair and run for coffee.

It's very flattering on you, so much so that now I want to try it.

If you will hand wash it and hang it up over the bathtub to dry on a skirt hanger, it will keep its shape much better than if it goes through the washer and dryer. Then you wouldn't have to struggle with ironing it on the spot where you said you had trouble with the seams.  I would fold it flat and swish  and rinse in the sink, gently roll to somewhat squeeze out the excess, then hang it up.

My mom is not around any more, as well.  I am sorry for your loss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lollipop08
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008 04:46:43 AM »

the print is so beautiful it is a wonderful piece you should be really proud of it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beautifulcreature

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008 07:55:00 AM »

thank you pinkropers and lollipop-
mmmmk. i'm gonna keep the skirt.. i'm even going to try and make it end up in my handwash only bag....
which means i need to try and fix that lump over on my left hand side over the hip. i just keep sewing skirts over and over again. and again. and again. i might have to try this one again.. in something solid... without the strange fabric qualities of cardboard and stretch lycra. and maybe in a solid.. arg. sewing machine here i come. hmmm and maybe if it wasn't stretched over wiiiide part of hips it wouldn't gape at the pleat. and if there was more room in the width it wouldn't. and there'd be enough .. hmm maybe it needs two box pleats. maybe two box pleats would be weird. maybe it needs to be pink though. oh god i don't know.

thank you for condolences on my mother though pinkroper.. i miss her... i tend to sew obsessively these days while i miss her. we use sew and craft together so.. i miss her. and i sew and i sew and i sew. she got tired of my drab colour choices and started converting me to things like this- joyfulexuberantpurplegoodness
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vintage Bowles - Shopping at Porte De Clignancourt in Paris
Jeanius - Grace Givens on Blue and White Patterns
Vintage Bowles - Discovering Comme Des Garçons in Paris
Jeanius - Chloe Malle on Wearing Pop Over Shirts
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Slip Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...