A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Attempt at a Messenger Bag  (Read 1722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lee-lee ess.
« on: July 31, 2008 02:26:40 PM »

My normal messenger bag was just a tiny bit too small for my laptop, so I decided one day that I needed a new one, and that I would make it!  How hard could it be, right?

... I don't think I'll EVER make another messenger bag again.  (Though I think I learned a lot from doing it... maybe the second time around won't be so bad?)

Probably the most exciting thing for me was to make pockets for everything, I even made a special pocket for my calculator.  I put a covered pocket on the left side of the bag, which I neglected to take a picture of.  I also made a shoulder pad to button onto the strap, you can kind of see it in the lower right side of this picture.  It actually does make carrying the bag quite a bit more comfy.

Honestly, I probably made it a bit too big for my taste.  Even with my laptop (which you can see peeking through it's pocket on the inside), a binder, and a text book, I still have LOTS of room left.

To give you an idea of the size...

The entire time I was sewing it, I hated it.  I think that it has grown on me... so I should get plenty of use from it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Suzanne84
I don't know what to write here...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008 02:30:33 PM »

I think its great! I love the fabric choice. I wish I could make messenger bags. They are my fav. Did you use a pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ideas, not enough funds!
Chel02
Kakusei Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008 02:37:22 PM »

cute! i love all the pen/pencil pockets!!! and the fabric of course Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Store!

www.kakusei-designs.co.nr

(opening sooon!)
lee-lee ess.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008 02:48:30 PM »

Thanks!  I loved the fabric too, and snatched it up without any idea of what I could possibly use it for.   Roll Eyes  Probably not my best shopping moment, but oh well! 

No, I didn't use a pattern.  I basically just took some measurements from my old bag, added a few inches for my laptop, and made it up as I went.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
xashiex
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008 03:09:45 PM »

oh wow!  Shocked
love the fabric choices! very classy. mad props to you for making a messenger bag! i've been too nervous to try it did you reinforce the straps? if not how much weight can it comfortable hold?
and again very lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lee-lee ess.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008 03:31:04 PM »

oh wow!  Shocked
love the fabric choices! very classy. mad props to you for making a messenger bag! i've been too nervous to try it did you reinforce the straps? if not how much weight can it comfortable hold?
and again very lovely!

The straps are made from a red canvas and the main fabric.  I sandwiched them between the inside and outside fabric, and stitched them in place with a square with an X in it, if that makes any sense.  So, I think they're fairly sturdy.  The stuff that was in it in the picture weighed 15 pounds, and everything held up pretty well and was pretty comfortable, too. 

You should definately give it a try, I bet you'd do great!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pino_i
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008 03:58:41 PM »

this is beautiful. i love it.  did you follow a pattern or just went for it? if you don't like it I'll take it. LOL Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008 04:02:55 PM »

This is pretty good, I think you did a great job for your 1st messenger bag. Maybe practice making smaller bags then the next time you make a large one, it won't be so daunting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mhills

That's A Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008 07:40:57 PM »

It turned out great.  You should try using this tutorial:

http://pinoyinoz.blogspot.com/2008/07/tutorial-messenger-bag-with-zip-top.html

This tutorial is SOOO easy to follow.  And the results are amazing.  This was my first one. And I just love it... I am making another one this weekend

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittyqueenfrostine
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008 01:17:08 AM »

I think it's brilliant. I spent my time at uni hauling my laptop around, if only I had made a bag! A brilliant and useful idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Randy, The 800 Pound Life-Size Chocolate Saxophonist
Chef Creates One-Of-A-Kind Cheesecakes
How to Make Caramel
How to Make French Macarons
How to Make Lemon Curd
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...