A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moss Terrariums (picture heavy)  (Read 24252 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , terrarium  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Oph1227
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008 12:31:54 PM »

OH MY GOD
for some reason seeing these make  make me really happy
ha ha
i love terrariums but i don't make them because my mom says theres no point :p
But i love the little "additions"
really cute and clever
Sorry about your yard :[
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jdb822
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008 12:48:32 PM »

These are amazing! I bookmarked them  Smiley

I think you should make a whole set! Micheals has the little jars for only a jar each, so that way you could give all your tinies a home.

I think I might borrow this idea for my dorm room, would that be alright?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008 01:00:09 PM »

This is a great idea. I love the look of the apples and I love the caterpillar so I think those are the 2 I'd keep in the jars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008 01:09:13 PM »

Very cool idea. I can't grow things at all so I may have to do this....
I personally love the apples and owls best. You could glue the owls to a little stick and put them in like they are in a tree. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lee-lee ess.
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008 01:11:03 PM »

You beat me to it!  I was thinking about how awesome these would be in a dorm room.  I have a few random plants already, but these would be extra great.  

This is a super idea though!  Terrariums are SOO cool!  Oh, and I love the owls and the apples.  The owls seriously made me almost burst out laughing for some reason.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftin Mama 4J
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008 01:12:06 PM »

I like the little dog/bear and the apples - separately!

They are so cute!!!

Like somebody else said - I was thinking, why not make more and use more of the little miniatures?!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildfyre
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008 01:39:23 PM »

Oh oh I *love* them!!!!!

I have a 3-way tie for walrus, octopus, and apples!

I wonder if this idea would work for other plants that like water like venus fly traps Huh

PS, ROCKS

Venus Fly Traps won't live long in a situation like that because they require a dormancy period every winter. Plus, carnivorous plants need full sun and distilled water (unless your tap water is naturally very very low in minerals and contains no additives).

What ever you plant in there.. be very careful that you don't leave it in the sun. The temperature's in such a small space will rise very quickly and fry your little plants!

And yes, the moss will grow :-) What a lot of people do to "seed" moss is they collect moss that has already sent up spore capsules, dry it, crumble the mixture into dust, and then spread it where you want it to grow and keep it well watered. The spores will sprout and start growing.

Sorry for all the info. I've been into carnivorous plants and moss gardening for over 15 years.. it's an addiction Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
razberryswrl
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008 01:43:53 PM »

Oh oh I *love* them!!!!!

I have a 3-way tie for walrus, octopus, and apples!

I wonder if this idea would work for other plants that like water like venus fly traps Huh

PS, ROCKS

Venus Fly Traps won't live long in a situation like that because they require a dormancy period every winter. Plus, carnivorous plants need full sun and distilled water (unless your tap water is naturally very very low in minerals and contains no additives).

What ever you plant in there.. be very careful that you don't leave it in the sun. The temperature's in such a small space will rise very quickly and fry your little plants!

And yes, the moss will grow :-) What a lot of people do to "seed" moss is they collect moss that has already sent up spore capsules, dry it, crumble the mixture into dust, and then spread it where you want it to grow and keep it well watered. The spores will sprout and start growing.

Sorry for all the info. I've been into carnivorous plants and moss gardening for over 15 years.. it's an addiction Wink

Thanks for the info! I really don't know too much about moss. I only read to not put them in direct sun and to not over water them since they usual take care of themselves when in closed jars. 

Good to know about the venus fly traps. I had one once, but failed to keep it alive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
razberryswrl
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008 01:46:06 PM »

i vote for the caterpillar! so cute. the walrus is pretty darn adorable as well though...

will the moss reattach itself to the soil and then grow? that's great!

I think the moss should reattach to the soil when growing. It should be pressed into the soil a bit.  When pulling the stuff up from the ground it should come up with a thin layer of dirt that will help the transplant process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
razberryswrl
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008 01:48:22 PM »

These are amazing! I bookmarked them  Smiley

I think you should make a whole set! Micheals has the little jars for only a jar each, so that way you could give all your tinies a home.

Of course you can make some! They really weren't my idea or anything. I got inspired from some of the moss terraiums I saw on Flickr.  Some of them had tiny mushroom and gnome figurines. So cute!  And the different sized jars is a great idea. I will have to make a home for them all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Thai Chicken with Coconut and Basil
How to Prepare Unagi Nigiri
How to Prepare Tsukemono
How to Cook Vegetable Tempura
How to Cook Tarka Dal
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...