A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,314
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Radioactive yellow kitchen!  (Read 8308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MandyLikesPie
« on: July 31, 2008 07:36:54 AM »

My husband and I, after spending the last four years in a less-than-500-square-foot apartment, bought our first house a couple of months ago and are slowly working on decorating. The previous owners' taste was very 80s/country, so we have a lot of spiffing up to do. We spend a ton of time in the kitchen and I couldn't take the country-blue paint and four-foot wooden ram hanging on the wall any longer, so that was our first area of attack.

I wanted yellow walls, but the counters and appliances are off-white. We got some light-yellow paint chips, but the color looked washed out and kinda queasy when held up to the counters. So we decided to go with a bright yellow instead. I have to admit, I had a mild panic attack when I opened the can and saw just how yellow it was. I thought, "oh God, what did we do?" But we tried it, and loved the result! (The last photo in this post is true to color--it's that bright.) As a bonus, the brightness of the yellow makes the counters and appliances look white and brings out the richness of the cabinets. One wall in the room is covered in beadboard, which the previous owners had painted a blue/green/gray. I repainted it white.

We also had a stainless steel garbage can/old timey phone, so we got stainless steel lightswitch/outlet covers to match.

And I made curtains!! I wanted some cutesy, vintage-looking curtains, so hubs and I hit the fabric store, and he actually picked out the fabric and the trims. Eight hours, and lots of handsewing of little pompoms, later, we had curtains!

On to the photos:

The cooking area. The tile backsplash was already there, and I like it a lot so we kept it. You can see the steel plate covers. Also featured is an adorable embroidered towel that I received in a swap from RondaS!

The table/window area. The white wall calms the room down a lot--it would be too much it if were all bright yellow. The bookshelf holds my cookbooks, crocheted fruits, and basket of handmade aprons that I've received in swaps.  Smiley The hanging light is from the previous owners, which is weird because it matched nothing in their kitchen, but looks great in ours!

A straight-on view of the curtains. I didn't do any measuring, which is probably why they took so long. They're just two panels with tiny pompom trim handsewn down the sides. I also made tiebacks that I trimmed with bias tape. Also shown is my favorite phone in the world.  Grin

A close-up view of the curtains. We wanted cute but simple fabric so that the room wouldn't be too loud. The curtains look plain white from a distance but upon closer inspection, you can see the polka dots.

And finally, some wonderful painted plates that I received from mimiw in a swap. This is the true color of the paint.

The room isn't totally finished yet--we want to get a new kitchen table and hang some b/w photos on the white wall. But we love it. It's the only room of the house that really feels homey so far, and we have a lot of work ahead of us in the other rooms.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008 08:41:16 AM by MandyLikesPie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008 07:46:43 AM »

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Volcanogrrl
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008 07:47:17 AM »

Oh my goodness.  You made me just fall in love with my kitchen, which i've been hating for the last 2 years!  It still has the original YELLOW counter tops.  
Thanks for the inspiration!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcGluestick
Propel, propel, propel your craft softly down liquid solution. Ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, existence is simply illusion. -Mr. Rogers

Crafting today for a better tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008 07:50:07 AM »

This rocks! I think you were absolutely right to go with the bright yellow--it makes for such a happy space. I am the opposite with paint; if I open the can and it's NOT totally loud, I have a panic attack.  Grin The curtains are my total favorite and I love the illusion of white and then the close up cuteness of polka dots. Great job; if this room is any indication, your whole house will be glowing with warmth and cheeriness in no time. Great integration of swap stuff, too.

P.S. I also love your phone!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buttermilk
All I wish is that my side of the story may be told. Kintpuash of the Modoc tribe, 1873

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008 07:51:39 AM »

Wow.  This is really neat.  You know, I have a golden yellow kitchen, and used to have a yellow and blue kitchen.  Never thought of this bright of yellow.  I love it.  The white really stands out.  Everything looks cheery and clean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
weird_lover_wilde
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008 07:53:11 AM »

I love yellow walls.  I painted my first apartment yellow, and I'd do it again in a second (if my new landlord would let me!).  It's so warm and bright and refreshing during the day--but at night the yellow mellows into a nice warm gold or custard.  It's the perfect colour for any room.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008 08:08:23 AM »

Wow Mandy! It looks great! I've been dying to see it since you mentioned it in our swap! And it's fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008 08:12:02 AM »

Looks great! I like that it's a nice bright color. We rented a house once that was all white on our walk through, then we moved in and the owner had painted the kitchen a weird pale yellow and the living room a chocolate brown (do you remember the yellow and brown Popsicles that also came in red, white and blue, think that). It was awful, I couldn't tell him though-he said that he even bought home design mags to come up with the idea. Hmmmm.........
BTW the phone is FANTASTIC! Stainless steel isn't something that I would have thought of, but it looks perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MandyLikesPie
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008 08:26:17 AM »

Aw, thanks so much for your nice comments, guys! I'm glad that my yellow is inspiring. Grin My goal is for the whole house to eventually be cutesy and cheerful.

Now I'm motivated to start tackling another room this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Louren
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008 08:31:57 AM »

I Love Love Love it.  Great Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Placing and Directing Overflow Text
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Setting Options for Placing Imported Text
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Setting up Microsoft Word Import Options
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Selecting, Adjusting and Filling Text Frames
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Changing the Basic Paragraph Style
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...