A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fabric lunch bag (pics included)  (Read 7068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008 06:45:31 AM »

I was trying to think of what I could use to insulate the bag but didn't have any ideas. 

Steph Smiley

Try insul-brite! Hancock's has it most of the time, near the interfacings, or you can order it online from lots of places. It's what you use to make potholders, etc.

Just put the sparkly side toward whatever you're trying to keep cold. It's as thin as the fleece used for batting, and easy to work with! It works, too.

I love the bags...thanks for sharing! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
freestyle
aka ModernSpin

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008 07:40:47 AM »

This is adorable, and really well made. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stefmsu
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008 03:45:52 AM »

[try insul-brite! Hancock's has it most of the time, near the interfacings, or you can order it online from lots of places. It's what you use to make potholders, etc.

Just put the sparkly side toward whatever you're trying to keep cold. It's as thin as the fleece used for batting, and easy to work with! It works, too.

Thanks for the tip!  I've never seen insul-brite or anything like it (I live in Australia) - do you think those silver windshield shades people put in their cars to block the sun would work?

Steph Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buffalo

Some days you're the pigeon, some days the statue

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008 09:49:56 AM »

BlondieKate:

There is no possible way to make that from 18x22 piece of fabric.  You will need to either make it a bit smaller or get a new piece of fabric.  I would say 9x10.5 and then you would have 1 inch by 22 left over for the buttonhole.

I just now cut two 10" x 11" pieces from my fat quarter, as well as the 1 1/8" x 3" strip and I still have some left over...not sure why this wouldn't work for you, but here's a pic...sometimes a visual really helps if you're confused.  The leftover piece is at the bottom of the photo.  Hope this helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonshinebluebird
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008 10:28:09 AM »

I love this idea! and everyone's creations... the one with the mushrooms is so so cute !  i have some of what I think is tablecloth material, it is soft one one side and vinyl on the other, going to try this with that as the interior. (it was in the scrap bin)

Blondiekate, at first, trying to think of it in my head I think I had the same mental block as you did so I did this to expand on what buffalo showed.

In my head I was actually trying to fit FOUR  10x11 pieces on there but still thinking it was two...  So I fired my head and got a new one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An ACEO a day for a year
Flickr
Etsy
"A wise old owl lived in an oak..."
dogswife
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008 06:41:53 PM »

Well that visual really made it clear for me!! I fired my head but am still waiting to get a new one.....hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live well, laugh often, love much
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008 06:58:07 PM »

[
Thanks for the tip!  I've never seen insul-brite or anything like it (I live in Australia) - do you think those silver windshield shades people put in their cars to block the sun would work?

Steph Smiley

I don't know why not, but it might not be food grade. Somebody out there know whether that would be super important since it would be sealed between fabric? I wouldn't think so, but I'd hesitate to tell you for sure.

I don't know how horrible the shipping would be...
but the stuff I am using right now I actually ordered online, for the same price as Hancocks. (My local store was being torn up to remodel and they let supplies drop.) It did cost shipping, though. I've never mailed anything to your lovely locale, though.

Thought of another name to google: Thermoweb (not sure of the spelling, you know how they like to be cute.). Still, there's shipping, unless you luck into a store on your own continent!

Good luck, let us know what you try and how it works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
amitch1223
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010 11:31:34 AM »

Hey!  I was looking for a lunch bag pattern and guess what popped up!!  I miss you!  Am
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do the Graffiti Letter D
How to Draw a Panther
How to Draw an Ellipse
How to Draw Polar Bears
How to Draw Fantasy Creatures
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...