A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
757 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cub Scouting for the Adult Undead (pics like crazy)  (Read 5840 times)
Tags for this thread: goth , parasol , umbrella , pinewood_derby , vampire , diorama  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 30, 2008 05:35:06 PM »

So, I was invited to an Adult Pinewood Derby that is based on the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby, but WAY more fun!  For one, it's all grown-ups so you're on your own for self-esteem and crap like that.  Wink  For two, there is a Presentation category which included costumes, dioramas and even multi-media presentations.  For three, there it is potluck food and booze. Which brings us to four, which is good-natured trash talk and high-quality sass.

So this is the 3rd or 4th annual, but my first.  I was invited to be the partner of a friend of a friend of the host who'd been before, but not competed.  Most people had 3 months to come up with their cars and presentations, I had 2 weeks notice w/ less than one week to work on the car.  You will see how that came into play.

So, when I was telling The ManFlesh about it I kept calling it the "Pinebox Derby" so the idea of a coffin was born from that and a vampire/cemetery theme arose.

The top of the diorama with a view of the coffin car:

A fuller view of the front of the diorama:

The sides are vintage paper placemats with print outs of anatomical drawings of a human begging for mercy from the 15th century or so.

The back with other anatomical drawings (ostrich and monkey/ape):

The headstone:

View down the open grave:

That's a mirror under the car, so when the car was out and the competition looks down in there they would see themselves. Bwahahaha!

Close-up of the grave-side floral wreath:

A mirror in that, too and a crucifix necklace from a Snoop Dawg action figure (yes, really).

Costumes were a little more low-key.  Neither of us could get excited about wearing lots of black clothes or heavy make-up for mid-day outdoor event in July. So, it was black summer shirts, some kind of scout-ish shorts/skort, fire boots from him with a scout neckerchief and black sandals for me with a black umbrella that I scavenged and made into a creepy parasol.  We did a light white make up (mine lighter than his, because he doesn't know how to apply make up), black and read lipsticks, lots of black eye-make up on me, some on him, plus he got black spray-on hair color.

Together before getting in the hearse, I mean Honda, to go to the derby:

The sun was super bright and right in our eyes.  Most of the day we wore sunglasses worked fine with the costumes.

Just me with a pretty good shot of the parasol:

I hand-sewed inexpensive fringe to the edge.  The top finial was missing, so I just stuck a dollar store raven on there by poking its feet wires through the fabric and twisting them around the frame.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008 05:39:02 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

recrdchaos
Knight of Time, Philosopher Prince

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008 05:51:21 PM »

That parasol is too fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008 05:58:06 PM »

Thanks!  The parasol was kinda one of the hits of the derby, actually.  I even received a couple of threats of bodily harm for it! Turned out it was REALLY practical as there wasn't much shade as the afternoon wore on and I'm trying to think of how to incorporate one next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainbowshoelaces
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008 06:13:50 PM »

the adult pinewood(or should i say pinebox?lol) derby looks like so much more fun than the actual! my brothers are in cub scouts, and the event always ends up with what seems like millions of little kids running in circles. you are really creative with what you came up with! lol! =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008 06:41:41 PM »

um...I want to go to one of these!  I love your theme.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008 07:41:17 PM »

Grin This is just all-around awesome! I wish that they held this around our area.... Roll Eyes
PS....LOVE the costumes! The parasol is to die for (hahaha....no pun intended!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008 07:52:47 PM »

the adult pinewood(or should i say pinebox?lol) derby looks like so much more fun than the actual! my brothers are in cub scouts, and the event always ends up with what seems like millions of little kids running in circles. you are really creative with what you came up with! lol! =]

I don't think I could be convinced that an actual cub scout derby is even close to as fun as this one is!  There were SO many really cool cars with great dioramas and costumes!  Several people stayed in character for most of the race (like 5 hours) and everything.

um...I want to go to one of these!  I love your theme.
Grin This is just all-around awesome! I wish that they held this around our area.... Roll Eyes
PS....LOVE the costumes! The parasol is to die for (hahaha....no pun intended!)

I did some reading up when I was invited and I guess the tracks are often available for rent and lots of organizations other than the Cub Scouts do these, but this guy owns the track and the event is in his back yard.  Everyone is friends or friends of friends and bought their basic car from the Boy Scouts and then just went from there.  Our rules allow our cars to be about twice as heavy as Cub Scout rules, but other than that it's pretty much the same (except the dioramas, costumes and booze, of course).

Funny thing about the parasol is that it was gleaned from the dump by a local recycling awareness organization and put up for sale at this garden art show as a fundraiser for another group.  It was US$1.  After I opened it a half dozen times, one of the frame parts broke, so it's wired to a Popsicle stick and can't close!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008 07:54:17 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008 07:59:02 PM »

OMG!!! That kicks butt! You did a great job on EVERYTHING!! I love the pic of you & TheManFlesh too, totally rocks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008 08:21:25 PM »

OMG!!! That kicks butt! You did a great job on EVERYTHING!! I love the pic of you & TheManFlesh too, totally rocks!!

Thanks so much!  BTW, that's not The ManFlesh. This one is a friend I've had for, um, 21 years already.  Oy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008 08:52:01 PM »

Thanks so much!  BTW, that's not The ManFlesh. This one is a friend I've had for, um, 21 years already.  Oy!
OOPS! LOL, my apologies to The ManFlesh! Wink So, I love the pic of you & The ManFriend!?! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 8/10
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 5/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 1/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 6/10
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...