A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted Bathmat  (Read 1373 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

polkadottedmoocows
« on: July 30, 2008 05:13:43 PM »

I crocheted this rug using two old twin size flat sheets.  It took pretty much all of the blue sheet and a good amount of the yellow sheet.  The finished dimensions are about 20" x 30".  I really like the look and feel of it.  I'm pretty new to crochet, so I started with a basic rectangle, but I want to attempt an oval or circle next. 

This is a picture of it in use in my kitchen, though I'm giving it to my mom and she'll likely put it in front of the vanity in their newly renovated bathroom, where it'll look much nicer:

This is a full shot of it:

And a closeup:

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Esjay82
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008 05:31:09 PM »

aww nice pretty colours too! i want to a rag rug.. i've been putting aside old sheets for a while.. i'm sure i'll hav enough eventually! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohmymetro
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008 05:51:17 PM »

the colors look beautiful together! i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008 06:13:26 PM »

gosh--I had to run out to the garage and yank the old queen size sheets out of the Goodwill bin!  Phew...they were headed off tomorrow!

Thanks for posting this!  I have no idea why I didn't think about crocheting them into a rug!!!

How did you cut the strips?  Were they all the same size?  Does it slide around or do you have something under it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadottedmoocows
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008 07:12:35 PM »

Thanks for the comments  Smiley

And to answer your questions alwaysinmyroom, I cut my sheets up in a huge spiral, so the entire sheet was one long piece of "yarn".  It took FOREVER!  The strips probably varied anywhere from 1-1.5 inches, I definitely wasn't consistent, since i cut while watching movies and I was really sick of cutting by the end of it.  I've since found a tutorial on how to cut pillowcases so that they're one continuous piece of "yarn", and I think it'd be totally worth it to sew the two long ends of your sheet together and then follow this tutorial: http://laughingpurplegoldfish.blogspot.com/2008/06/no-join-method-of-cutting-fabric-strips.html
That's what I'm going to try with the next one I do. 

And the rug didn't seem to slip around on the kitchen floor, nope, it's pretty heavy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008 05:23:11 AM »

im inspired!  at a yardsale I got 3 rolls of material for $1.00 .  Its basically a 2 inch stripe of material rolled up into a roll.  I got them thinking I could use it for something.  But ive got 3 rolls, i dont think i could ever use 3 rolls!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Jackie22
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008 08:48:44 AM »

Now thats a great idea!

I need a nice mat like that for my bathroom, I guess my fella and I wont have any bed sheets to sleep on tonight lol. Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008 09:49:56 AM »

I like your rugs very much. I had no idea it would take that much material though. Wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street Ashes

Can't we all just get along?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008 10:14:47 AM »

I crocheted this rug using two old twin size flat sheets.  It took pretty much all of the blue sheet and a good amount of the yellow sheet.  The finished dimensions are about 20" x 30".  I really like the look and feel of it.  I'm pretty new to crochet, so I started with a basic rectangle, but I want to attempt an oval or circle next. 

This is a picture of it in use in my kitchen, though I'm giving it to my mom and she'll likely put it in front of the vanity in their newly renovated bathroom, where it'll look much nicer:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2718432458_9b30007cc8.jpg[/img]

This is a full shot of it:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/2718432576_8e4dafc8ce.jpg[/img]

And a closeup:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2718432362_9dc703c235.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking!

what size hook?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008 10:23:46 AM by sweets4ever - Reason: Please don't quote images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
julea
I think not, thanks.

I less than three you. <3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008 01:32:13 PM »

Lovely!! I love how the print on the blue sheet gives it a heather-y sort of texture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Heart Duct Tape Coin Purse
How to Make a Duct Tape Passport Lanyard
How to Make Duct Tape Earrings
How to Make a Duct Tape Woven Belt
How to Make a Duct Tape Travel Shower Caddy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...