A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Air-dry clay  (Read 1078 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StyxAndStones
« on: July 30, 2008 07:11:56 AM »

Hello his is my first post in the clay area-- usually I sew-- but I have a project in mind and am looking for your advice/experiences.

I'd like to cover some drawer pulls with funky clay shapes. Ideally, I would sculpt the things out of clay around the (removed) existing hardware and sand and paint for the desired effect. 

Are there some particular brands or something that I should look for or am I totally barking up the wrong tree with this idea? I'm thinking a Susan Goldstick type deal. . . but since I don't have 400 dollars lying around to spend on four drawer pulls. . . well . . . you're craftsters-- you understand Smiley

http://www.susangoldstick.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a part of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect."--G. Carlin
crafty gurll
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008 09:32:49 PM »

I clicked on the link and those are really pretty handles!

That is definitely a good idea, I'm sure there is a way to make it work.  You can buy air dry clay at any craft store, Amaco makes it in 3 different colors.  I'm not sure if it will work around the pull, keep in mind clay will shrink when it dries, so if you are building around a solid object(the existing drawer pull)the clay will be working against the solid object and might split.(I've learned the hard way this fun property of clay. Sad ) Buy a small amount, and see how it dries.  You may be better off forming the drawer pull by itself, and then figuring out a way to attach it to the screw.  With all the glues and epoxies out there, something is bound to work.  I'm still new to pottery, hopefully an expert will have some better advice and post!  Good luck!:) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chum
Just Craft!

Can't Deny, Computer Geek

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008 11:50:27 AM »

I have been wanting to do small clay items as well and so have been looking to alternatives and have had many discussions with a potter about what is possible.
You may want to look into PMC or metal Clay which needs very little tools and equipment or even just thinking about Polymer Clay. They are both easy to work with and easy to purchase at a local craft store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything has beauty, it is just how we choose to see it.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: Windsurf in a Suit
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: Stand Up Paddleboarding
Styling the Perfect Holiday Party Look
3 Reasons Why Pencil Skirts Are the New Mini
Need to Know: Oversized Sweaters, Google Flight Finder, and Fab Slippers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...