A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting Technical References  (Read 510 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 29, 2008 08:16:46 PM »

Is there an area somewhere on Craftster where the technical aspects of crafting are discussed?

To give you a better idea what I'm looking for, here are my thoughts and the reasons behind them. Smiley Sorry if this overly explanatory; I'm on allergy/sinus medication, and it's making me pretty loopy!

I'm specifically thinking about an area where there's advice on things like sealants, finishes/varnishes, paint, tools, fasteners...these are just some things I've needed info on in the past, and I'm sure the list could be endless when added to by other Craftsters.

If there isn't something like this, it would be nice to get something started and perhaps have a cross-reference or reverse reference. For instance, if I were working on painting wood, I could look up wood and see what worked for wood, or if I already had a particular type of paint on hand, I could specifically look it up.

For reference, I recently made something using chalks, embossing powder, ink, and gold leafing pen. I'd read that some types of spray sealant would make embossing powder separate from what it was applied to and come off in tact with itself, almost as a decal. So I tried clear fingernail polish instead, and it ended up making the gold leafing run (it also made the embossing powder start to come up, but it eventually settled back down). I would have asked for advice and would have been happy to post pictures for clarification, but it was for a swap (if this is making no sense, I'll be sure to post my example once my swap partner receives!).

One of my favorite things about Craftster is the generosity of advice and encouragement by other users when someone has a question. If you have a question, usually someone will come up with the answer - many times several someones. Smiley But if you're working on a swap item (like the example above), it can be difficult to ask outright for fear of tipping off your swap partner. And it can be darn near impossible to find precisely what you're looking for via a site search - sometimes you strike gold and get multiple examples of what you want, other times you get nothing. So I thought it'd be nice to have an area to refer to first before posting questions.

I imagine the Craftopedia had stuff like that, but it's not yet up and running again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008 04:39:03 AM »

Yeah, Craftopedia sounds like the perfect resource for this.  Hopefully we can get it revived sooner than later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.[/center]
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Perm
How to Get Rid of a Green Tone in Blonde Hair
How to Choose a Hairdresser
How to Make Your Blow Dry Hair Style Last
How to Get Rid of Flyaway and Static Hair
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...