A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,377
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can anyone tell me about late 80's Singer sergers?  (Read 10576 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sapphire_distortion
« on: July 29, 2008 06:15:00 PM »

So...I probably shouldn't even be asking because I can't really do anything about it if I'm right, but anyways. I had a Merrittlock 14u44 serger my mom found at a garage sale for like $40 and she bought it for me, and it worked fine for about 2-3 months of use. I think it was from either 1986 or 1988 based on the manual. I bought a used Ultralock 14U85 off eBay for $160 or so with shipping (it's got five threads and differential feed) that the seller had got from an estate sale - they said it was working, but when I got it the threads kept breaking. I took it in to the local repair place and found out the timing was very off and that the needle guide, I think he said, had broke off. It's manual puts it around 1988 or so. I was thinking back and I'm 99% sure that the problem the other serger had was probably the same thing. So were all the late 80's Singer sergers low-quality, or have I just had bad luck? : / When I was in the machine oiling it, it didn't look like very many of the parts were plastic or super-cheaply made...Thanks for any help guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008 06:31:09 AM »

Early 80's is when Singer quit producing their machines (all machines) in the US, the machines manufactured elsewhere show the dramatic drop in quality. Sorry Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
terryW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009 07:35:04 PM »

Hi!

My mom just gave me her serger -- Singer 14u44 Merrittlock, and I'm in need of a manual.  Would you consider selling/trading me for a copy of yours?

thanks,

Terry
Little Rock, AR
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009 09:19:47 AM »

Hi!

My mom just gave me her serger -- Singer 14u44 Merrittlock, and I'm in need of a manual.  Would you consider selling/trading me for a copy of yours?

thanks,

Terry
Little Rock, AR

Sorry, I don't have it any more Sad I did find one available for download online at one of the popular sites, so maybe you should check there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mannydingo
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009 05:01:33 PM »

Sorry, I don't have it any more Sad I did find one available for download online at one of the popular sites, so maybe you should check there?

I hope you mean you forgot where you found it because, if you know and aren't saying but making this person have to go through the Google hunt, that's pretty bad. Just checking, don't burn me, now. My mom needs that manual also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009 07:21:28 PM »

I hope you mean you forgot where you found it because, if you know and aren't saying but making this person have to go through the Google hunt, that's pretty bad. Just checking, don't burn me, now. My mom needs that manual also.

Oh, well, you've foiled my plan to make innocent Craftsters search the internet for no reason!  Roll Eyes No - I downloaded a PDF from one of the sites mentioned (sewusa, maybe?), but the serger was kind of a piece of crap and broke within a month, with a piece broken that my local repairman couldn't order. Which is why I deleted the manual, which is why I have no idea where it came from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugareedesigns
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010 03:29:27 PM »

If anyone needs the manual for the Singer Merritlock14 u44 I have it! and can send it photocopied or scanned to anyone that needs a copy.  If you would like to trade a copy for the rolled hem presser foot, id be very excited!!! i even have the video that came with the machine, and if i can find a vcr to vcr i can make you a copy.  I lucked out and got the machine brand new in the box from my aunt for my birthday last year, she had it in her garage for years and opened the box but  never used it. somehow she lost the rolled hem foot.  but otherwise, ive been running this machine constantly for a year, on all fabrics including heavy broadcloth and corduroy. seems to work great for me.
also, if your thread keeps breaking, did you try to change it to a polyester thread maybe, i find if i use the cheaper cone serger thread, it wont even do a seam for me, it breaks so many times, and im sure you know how much of a b**ch it is to thread this machine. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cambodian Green Papaya Salad
How to Make Beef Pho Part 2/2
How to Make Beef Pho Part 1/2
How to Make Poori Part 2/3
How to Make Poori Part 1/3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...