A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can I do with old bras?  (Read 4285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

instantkarma
« on: July 29, 2008 03:08:47 PM »

Hi all,

After going into Macy's a few days ago, I realized that I am one of the women who was wearing an ill-fitting bra. I bought some new ones and now have a few old ones that I don't really have anything to do with.
Does anyone have ideas on what I can do with 2-3 old bras? They're somewhat large (34D) so there is a *little* material to work with, but I'd really like to use all of it...and I've seen the bra purses, which I think are definitely cute and I will be making one soon. Smiley

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
Granny_Leah
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008 09:55:28 PM »

The first thing that came to mind was knee pads for working in the garden... of course that depends on the type of bras you have! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keyofcmaybeg

Run for the comfort of satellites.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008 11:38:35 AM »

im having the same dilema.
its more so the plain white ones that im having a problem with.

however, if you have any bras that have nice things on them like lace/ or bows, you could carefully cut off the lace & or whatever it is you want to keep, and use that as fabric. if yr into making clothes, or anything that is.

other than that i dont really know.

i suppose theres probably a million things you could with those wires that some bras, have though..

bleh.
hope i was of some help  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shesme
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008 07:01:26 PM »

ummmm......
 ummmm......

Awhile back I saw someone (i think it was possibly one of the Gabor sisters) on tv - she was talking about how B(*)(*)bies are usually neglected when it comes to moisturizing. Undecided So, one of her tips was to mash bananas with some honey and smear it in to an old bra and wear the bra for a few hours. Either the bananas are the moisturizer and the honey is a natural skin firmer or vice-versa.
Just an idea ..... a lil extra pampering can't hurt the girls eh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dootsie
Dootsie inna hizzie.

Dootsie inna hizzie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008 06:05:11 PM »

ummmm......
 ummmm......

Awhile back I saw someone (i think it was possibly one of the Gabor sisters) on tv - she was talking about how B(*)(*)bies are usually neglected when it comes to moisturizing. Undecided So, one of her tips was to mash bananas with some honey and smear it in to an old bra and wear the bra for a few hours. Either the bananas are the moisturizer and the honey is a natural skin firmer or vice-versa.
Just an idea ..... a lil extra pampering can't hurt the girls eh?

If it's a cotton bra, this would actually be great.  Consider sleeping with some moisturizer. Wink  Banana or honey might be a little squicky, but any sort of moisturizer held on your skin with cotton all night long will make your skin FABULOUS!  Think white cotton gloves for the boosies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Dootsie has spoken!  Now go home.
nuttywoman

Help I`m trapped in the glass in my back door!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008 03:38:32 PM »

If they`re still in good condition, you could donate them for women in the third world who can`t afford them etc. In the UK there`s a charity you can post them off to, maybe there`s something like that were you are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Transatlanticism

Pies para que los quiero, si tengo alas pa' volar?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008 05:45:40 PM »

Use the cups to sew into a dress if you make a dress you can't wear a bra with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psst.. here's a secret. Your last mortal thought will be, "Why did I take so many days- just like today- for granted?"
DorrieBelle
Loves to customize dolls found at yard sales !

Pleased to meet you !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008 01:09:10 PM »

I'm a doll crafter, so there's tons of good stuff in a bra for my plastic pals ! I sometimes buy used ones at yard sales, if it has some interesting elements to reuse.

*Those adjust to fit sliders - the o-rings and 'figure 8' lookin' plastic/metal bits - make great doll belt buckles ! Tiny ones work for Barbie, bigger ones for Crissy or American Girl-type dolls. Ditto those buckles that go to front-hook bras. On some, you can even leave the buckle on the elastic for an instant doll belt. And I've seen similar buckles on doll shoes. Or, you could run ribbon through a bunch of the 'figure 8' pieces for an unforgettable friendship bracelet !

*Elastic - if it's not totally shot, it can be reused in other small-scale sewing projects. There's often two or more different kinds of elastic in most bras, and some can be quite pretty.

*Lace - I once took lace off a cup, curled up the edges and sewed 'em down as sleeves, and had a near-instant Barbie jacket. I'd post a photo, but I'm still a newbie - so here's a link to a Princess Leia doll wearing it. http://dorriebelle.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/leiabrajacket.jpg

*I've also been known to save the bits of fabric, for accent pieces or scarves for dolls. Same with spaghetti-strap bras. I can reuse them as straps in doll clothes without having to sew 'em my lazy self.

*A seam ripper can pull out those hooks and eyes in the back, for future use. Since bras come in so many great colors, I have hook/eyes in about ten shades beyond the black/white/silver ones sold at fabric shops.

*And this one's for people use - more than once, I've cut out the back closure 'eyes' piece and sewn it over the one on a bra that'd gotten a bit tight, to extend it a bit. It does throw off the whole fit of the bra, but if you just need it for a few more wearings, it beats paying $4. for the same thing in a lingerie shop or fabric notions store.

I know this doesn't do much for ya if you don't sew for dolls - but maybe it'll lead to other ideas !

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitakitty
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008 02:59:50 PM »

I'd be cool if you could donate them to the Bra Ball. But, alas, they are no longer accepting donations. My mom submitted one of hers a few years ago.

http://www.braball.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop: MeanderingMimi.etsy .com!
irbisisis
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008 10:19:58 PM »

ok so i just posted a question like this in the clothing board before finding this one, so while this is here does anyone have any more ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cranberry-Apple Biscuit Pies Recipe
How to Make Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies
Carrot Cake Cookie Recipe
Surprising Facts About Girl Scout Cookies
How to Make Double Chocolate Brownies
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...