A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need cake advice  (Read 455 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shelichan

Fashion designer for hire in NYC!

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2008 12:06:20 PM »

So, I dont cook. At all. Ever. Well once in a blue moon. And then it turns out fine (though I make a MASSIVE mess).

I need to make a cake for my friends birthday. I want it to be shaped like a roller skate. Worst case I *guess* I could settle for a square cake Ill draw a skate on. How the heck can I do this? I know there arent any pans in that shape. Best I found mention of was a tennis shoe - but I couldnt find the pan for sale anyway. Thats okay, Im on a budget and time limit anyway.

So Im going to make a square cake, and then carve it into shape. How should I do this? Wait for it to cool then go at it with a knife?

I was also toying at the coloring. The idea I saw with the cheesecake post on here, with the splatters of colored batter. Would that work with regular cake mix? Or is the consistency not thick enough? I dont want it to blend together into an ugly color. Im planning on using this cake recipe - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-Cake/Detail.aspx - if I make the batter and it comes out too thin to do that, could I thicken it up with something that wouldnt effect the taste or consistency of the cake? At least not too much. I would just have to thicken it enough to be able to "splatter". Or I could cheap out and just make a box cake... *tempted*

And then the icing. I was thinking about trying fondant. Ive never done it before. Would covering an oddly shaped cake be a bad way to try it for the first time? Or should I stick to just regular icing? If so Im going to get one of those pastry bags that have the different tips, and cover it with "star" spots of color. Much like this one - http://www.wilton.com/forums/attachments/Roller_Skate_Lerissa02.jpg which I hope mine comes out half as good as.

Oh and the foil covered base everyone has cakes on always... is that just cardboard covered in tinfoil? You just remove the cake and place it on there?

I appreciate any and all help! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Childrenswear & womenswear designer for hire in NYC!
landofoz
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008 12:32:54 PM »

Yes, you can color the batter and drop dollops of it in.  You may want to consider filling the pan halfway, adding some dollops of color, then filling the rest of the way and adding the remaining dollops of colored batter.  That way there is more of an even distribution of colored spots in the cake. 

And you can definitely make a square cake and cut it to shape.  Some people freeze their cakes before they cut them -- this helps to cut down on the crumbs and on the cake getting squished.  I like to use aluminum foil to cover a piece of cardboard and then put 3 or 4 large rectangles of parchment or wax paper on top of the foil, then set the cake on top of that.  Make sure that the parchment covers all the visible foil.  This way, when you are done decorating, you gently pull off the parchment paper and have perfectly clean foil!

I don't know much about fondant but here is a good site that was highly recommended to me.  Fondant  With fondant, you will still need a layer of frosting beneath it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008 12:37:36 PM by landofoz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008 03:00:41 PM »

That recipe is described as "delicate" which is NOT what you want for carving.  You can use a Duncan Hines mix and add the "cake mix extender" recipe to it, which makes a sturdier (good tasting) cake.  I wouldn't use fondant if I were you, but if you decide to, look for a marshmallow fondant recipe.  It's easy to make and tastes better than commercial ones.  Try cakecentral.com for lots of ideas and the above recipes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008 06:24:55 PM »

Since you don't cook often, I would recommend cake mix. They rarely, if ever, come out poorly. They're cheap and only takes 1 bowl so less mess. To make the skate as your picture shows, I would use a 9" x 13" pan and grease up the pan really well so the whole cake can come out without breaking. Print out a 2D picture of a skate that will fit on the cake, cut the picture out and use that to help you cut the cake. As landofoz said, freezing the cake may help. I would use frosting. It is difficult to use fondant on such a bumpy cake. Though if you're feeling adventurous, it would look really nice. Use a nice thick layer of frosting in between the cake and the fondant.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008 06:25:31 PM by Avian Flight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glitter Lid Makeup Tutorial
DIY Cracked Lip Treatment
Get Fit in 2014 - The Best Gear to Kickstart Your Routine
How to Pull Off the Perfect New Year’s Eve Makeup Look
How to Wear Makeup on New Year’s Eve
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...