A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: teepee cake (first time with fondant)  (Read 7117 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shibug
« on: July 29, 2008 09:53:15 AM »

What kind of birthday present do you get the dad who has everything?

You make him a teepee cake!  This was my first time working with fondant, and trying to use dowels and architecture in a cake.  I learned so much, and I think that if I made another teepee cake it would rock ten times more.  The fondant was ready made from Wilton, I dyed it and rolled it out.  I hoped that I would be able to have the tops of the fondant "canvas" held open on two more poles, but the fondant was too soft, the poles poked right through it, that's why I have the odd rolled top. 

The cow skull was shaped freehand from gum paste and then I painted some brown details on it with brown dye diluted with vodka (if you dilute it with water it will dissolve the gum paste). The gum paste dried very quickly and I found it difficult to work with. I had to make two skulls before I got one that looked good. I also whittled down and dyed the dowel poles and pegs above the door. 

My dad was SO excited.  He didn't believe it was a cake and he didn't want to cut into it. He got out some plastic cowboys and Indians and we played with the teepee out in the grass, staging photos.

And here is the cut cake, it was 3 layers of dark chocolate cake with white buttercream icing.

Overall, the fondant was much easier than I expected, and after working with it just once I feel like I've learned alot for the next cake.  It's too bad that fondant doesn't taste too good and has a weird texture. I know that it's perfectly acceptable to peel it off before eating your cake, but some people I know think it's really odd.  I'm going to try to add a little flavor next time, but there's not much I can do with the texture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008 10:14:30 AM »

That's sooo cool! I love the pictures w/cowboys & indians!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lethargic
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008 07:36:48 PM »

I think that looks fantastic! Could have been a difficult shape to use fondant with (I don't know I've never used it.), but you did a really good job.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop for aprons, bento/lunch bags, jewelry, and more! http://organizedconfetti.etsy.com
AshBoBizzle

Lexi meets Flowers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008 10:50:20 PM »

A teepee! How unique!
You did a really great job with the detail work.
I love that photo with the indians and cowboys in the sepia tone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"This is the way the world ends: not with a bang but a whimper."
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008 11:54:15 PM »

What an incredibly crafty cake.  I'm sure you really made your Fathers day with such a fantastic cake!!!  Looks delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poe poe
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008 08:22:53 AM »

How cool. I wouldn't want to cut into it either. It good you got pictures. You did a great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
butterlite
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008 09:42:35 AM »

Word! That is too funny. I love the little plastic action figures, and the cattle skull gives it that nice southwestern flair! Great cake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aunt Jess
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008 11:01:04 AM »

First off Great cake and I think that your Dad got to play with it too is even better. Most parents lose their sense of play  Grin

Wilton Fondant was actually my first fondant too and found it very easy to work with but had the same complaint about taste. Felt it could be compared to playdoh  Tongue.  I asked around and Marshmellow fondant has a much better taste and seems to be easy to make there is a tut around here somewhere with a red white and black cake and her tut was very easy to follow.

I've been curious about gum paste have you done a lot with it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puddleofpudding
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008 07:00:19 PM »

i love how you sliced it!! scrolling through the pictures made me wanna watch dances with wolves with kevin costner!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
around
mama

where are we going? why are we in this handbasket?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008 02:32:47 PM »

i took a wilton cake decorating class
to make flowers
and the teacher suggested
using half gum paste and half fondant
to mold into shapes
that's how we did our flowers
it dries a little more slowly and
gives you more time to work with it
didn't taste any better though
--
i think your cake looks awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the centuries are sprinkled with rare magic and divine creatures who help us get past the common and extraordinary ills that beset us

Favorite Craftster quote --
"Normal" is for chumps, suckers and saps. -TheMistressT
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Trim Your Own Bangs to Look Like Kate Middleton
How to Get a Faux Bob
How to Style a Slick Wet Look Ponytail
How to Create a Messy Wet Look Hair
The Knot: A Great Hairstyle You Can Do At Home
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...