A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,503
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leaf Cane Jar - Now With Pictures!  (Read 855 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kerallyn

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 29, 2008 06:42:37 AM »

This is a little jar I made using my first attempt at a leaf cane.  It's about 3 inches tall and I made it to hold my rings when I take them off in the kitchen while cooking.  This is my first attempt, at making a jar, and a cane both.  Since I wasn't sure how it would turn out, I just used some leftover colors from another project, but I thought they actually worked quite well together and I'm not sure if I would have intentionally put that combination together.  The base was made with marbled turquoise and translucent clay.  I had originally intended to have all the leaves be three-dimensional, but I ended up rolling out smooth and just leaving the lid 3D.  The only thing I'm unsure of, which you can see clearly in the third picture, is the little white circles in the translucent clay.  I've never had that happen with any other projects, and I'd appreciate any suggestions for preventing it in the future....

This is the first project I've posted, so go easy on me  Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008 06:39:12 AM by Kerallyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008 11:27:02 AM »

Very nice, and those are really good colors to use together since they're analagous on the color wheel.   I think you did a great job on it too!!

The only thing I'm unsure of, which you can see clearly in the third picture, is the little white circles in the translucent clay.  I've never had that happen with any other projects, and I'd appreciate any suggestions for preventing it in the future....

Those white circles in the tinted translucent clays are called "plaques."  Usually they're more like half-moons though (and are also called "mooning" in the clay). 
I'm thinking that since you haven't gotten plaquing before, you were using a different brand or line when you used translucent polymer clay, or that you got a lot of humidity or air into these particular translucents for some reason.

Here's what I wrote about plaquing in polymer clays in a recent post:

````````````````````
The primary thing that's probably happening here is the "plaquing" that's common in many of the transcluent polymer clays  (or in any clay color which has been manufactured with a lot of translucent in it--which isn't always obvious).

Plaquing is natural in many brands or lines of translucent polymer clay, but some of them have been manufactured to have as few plaques as possible... those are Premo's Frost and Premo's Bleached Translucent (which may now be the same).

Plaquing is caused by little bits of air or humidity which get into the clay at some point before baking in various ways.  When the clay is then cured, the air or moisture turn to bits of steam and those become hollow areas or lots of tiny hollow areas which interfere with the transparency and create areas of opacity. 
In fact, one way to make a clearer translucent plaque when desired is to moisten ones' hands before conditioning the raw clay.

The streaking you also mention could be caused though just if you didn't "condition" the translucent clay completely so that some parts of it (the parts that settled to the bottom over time in storage) didn't get completely mixed into the rest --this is usually done unless one wants a very thin layer of translucent clay, or one wants those little areas of opacity to show up in the translucent because they simulate many natural materials very well (jade, wood/bark, etc.).

You can read all about plaquing in translucent clays (how to avoid it, etc), and about the various brands and lines of translucent polymer clay, on this page of my site if you want lots more info:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/translucents-glow.htm
(...click on Plaquing, and also click on Clearest Results particularly re thin translucents if you're interested in that too)

````````````````````

P.S.  You can post photos here (and you'll get more looks  Grin) once you've posted 10 messages, I think it is, in any board at Craftster.  So do that as soon as you can, and perhaps change your subject line to read "Now With Photos" or something like that.

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008 11:52:29 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Kerallyn

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008 03:15:13 PM »

Thanks for the information, and the tip about photos, I'll have to make sure I hit ten posts tonight Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

My Perty Thangs......If the green light is on, I am home!!

MONSTER good luck coming my way!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008 09:10:39 PM »

Wow, is that solid clay??  And if so, what did kind of form did you use?  To help keep it erect while baking?

I love your leaf cane!!  Combining scrap colors is when the good stuff happens I always say!   Grin
Thanks so much for sharing!  And please do share more!?!

I applied transluscent only polyclay to a bottle and had that same effect yours did on the bottom.  I LOVED the effect on the bottle, looks like I meant for it to happen! lol  It gave it a marbled like appearance. I did a set of three, and all three did not let me down. I will dig for that old post, dust off the pics using craftsters Photo Hosting<<<LOVE LOVE LOVE.  I bet that post is on last page by now......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina
I am not obsessed with Perty Thangs, I am disciplined...

I have alot to share, all you gotta do is ask.

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
Kerallyn

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008 06:42:03 AM »

I didn't use any kind of form with it.  It's one of the first things I ever did with polymer and a form never occurred to me.  It probably kept it's shape so well because it's so small, there wasn't enough weight to the walls to pull themselves down while it was baking.  I wish I had thought to put something in the picture for scale, but next time I make one, I'll remember to do that Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008 10:17:46 AM »

Ooo, I hadn't realized it was small either... how small is it, btw??

I didn't use any kind of form with it. . . . probably kept it's shape so well because it's so small, there wasn't enough weight to the walls to pull themselves down while it was baking

The fact that the walls were fairly thick for their size, and also that the walls were creating an upright cylinder, are probably what allowed the clay to keep from slumping during heating. (If you had let the clay cool before baking, that would have helped some too.)  Whatever you did, it turned out really well!

Next time if you want, you can use something as simple as a rolled up sheet of paper or cardstock, or a paper towel or toilet paper cardboard roll, etc., to give cylindrical polymer vessels even more support during baking (the paper cylinder could also be stuffed with tissues or polyester stuffing, etc.).

Square and rectangular vessels (or even mini clay houses, etc.) can also be built with a "slab" construction like this when using polymer clay as well as when using earth clays if the vertical walls are fairly thick, esp. if the items aren't too huge.  There are some lessons on doing them that way on this page at my site, if anyone's interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/vessels.htm
(...click on Boxes--the first subcategory will be "Freeform" boxes)
(...and click on Removable Forms if you want to do them that way too)

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Kerallyn

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008 06:09:58 PM »

It's about 3 inches tall and no more than half that wide.  I used to keep it on the windowsill in the kitchen to hold my rings while I was cooking, but it was admired by a friend and I gave it to her, so I don't have it to get exact measurements.  Now that I'm thinking about it though, I just may need to make another one for my rings Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

farihahk
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009 09:26:20 AM »

WOW! do you by any chance remember the basics of how you made that leaf cane?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Floaty Pens
maya tuto - verin
ALEXANDEREPAIR
How to Start a Nature Journal
How to Stretch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...